Would you go through the effort?

/ Would you go through the effort? #1  

chas0218

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT235E
So I have narrowed down my choices to TYM and LS leaning heavily towards LS XG3025 but some issues have me concerned (Regen, and bucket issues). It seems that the XG series isn't plagued by the bucket issue but the Regen Limp mode is a little concerning.

Anyway, I found a great deal for a tractor in another state. I live on the southern border of NY and found a good deal in NC. It is about 9.5 hours to the dealer which isn't a big deal and would cost be about $500 total for hotel and fuel to drive down and back to pick it up. For the money I would be getting about $4000 off what they are wanting for the same tractor up here.

Would you go through the effort to buy a tractor out of state? This is a package deal where the tractor comes with FEL, 20' Trailer, rough cut mower, box blade for $18,800. I will be adding a sub-frame backhoe so I will get the pricing for that shortly My guess is that will put me around $23,000. The dealers around me want $22,000 for tractor FEL, and backhoe. So for what I'm hoping around $1000 more I could get a lot more for my money. Would I be crazy to drive to NC to save some money. I mean the cost of a 20' 7klbs. trailer around me is $2k on its own so adding that to the local dealer gets me up to $24,000 then add the box blade in for $700, then add another $1200 for a 5' brush hog, so another $2k bringing that total to $26,000 so I would save somewhere around $4000. I think that would be enough to make the trip worth while. Anyone think I'm crazy to spend 18 hrs. in my truck to save $4000?

/ Would you go through the effort? #2  
The IRS mileage rate of $0.545 /mile is an estimate of the total cost (ownership & operating)/mile for autos, trucks, and vans. Assuming you are averaging 60 mph for 9.5 hours one way, a round trip would cost you an estimated $621.30 in truck expenses. Add in the cost of a hotel room and the opportunity cost of your time and go from there.:)

Steve

/ Would you go through the effort?
I figured that and a hotel room would be around $100/night. My time isn't really a concern to me being a school teacher and can make the trip during the summer months when I'm not working. I don't know if it is worth my time or not I mean if I'm making the trip I would be fishing instead and loosing 2 days of fishing isn't going to kill me. If I work it right I could go when the weather is crap but that means driving in crap weather. The only thing that has me 2nd guessing it is no working A/C in the truck and if the price difference is that big of deal. I think I might call the local guy to see if he can come near the package price. If not then I might be making a drive.

Just don't want to be stepping over dollars to pick up dimes. I mean it all makes sense to me. My FIL said I'm nuts for driving that far to get a tractor but he likes to spend money. My Grandfather said he would make the drive to save half that.

/ Would you go through the effort? #4  
So I have narrowed down my choices to TYM and LS leaning heavily towards LS XG3025 but some issues have me concerned (Regen, and bucket issues). It seems that the XG series isn't plagued by the bucket issue but the Regen Limp mode is a little concerning.

Anyway, I found a great deal for a tractor in another state. I live on the southern border of NY and found a good deal in NC. It is about 9.5 hours to the dealer which isn't a big deal and would cost be about $500 total for hotel and fuel to drive down and back to pick it up. For the money I would be getting about $4000 off what they are wanting for the same tractor up here.

Would you go through the effort to buy a tractor out of state? This is a package deal where the tractor comes with FEL, 20' Trailer, rough cut mower, box blade for $18,800. I will be adding a sub-frame backhoe so I will get the pricing for that shortly My guess is that will put me around $23,000. The dealers around me want $22,000 for tractor FEL, and backhoe. So for what I'm hoping around $1000 more I could get a lot more for my money. Would I be crazy to drive to NC to save some money. I mean the cost of a 20' 7klbs. trailer around me is $2k on its own so adding that to the local dealer gets me up to $24,000 then add the box blade in for $700, then add another $1200 for a 5' brush hog, so another $2k bringing that total to $26,000 so I would save somewhere around $4000. I think that would be enough to make the trip worth while. Anyone think I'm crazy to spend 18 hrs. in my truck to save $4000?

Do you have a good dealer that can provide warranty service that is closer to you than 9 hours? Having a dealer that can service it is just as important.

Another question is the trailer...are you going to be able to have it registered to before you go to pick it up? Just a logistics thing but if you have to go there to sign paperwork then go back home to register the trailer then go back to pick it up.....

Is sales tax figured into your $4000 savings as well? NC is 4.75%, NY is over 8% right? You could save all of it if you head over here to NH where there's no sales tax at all. :) I could steer you to a great Mahindra dealer in south western NH and he sells trailers too.

/ Would you go through the effort? #5  
The LS XG3025 doesn't have the DPF so no regen!

Do you have a good dealer that can provide warranty service that is closer to you than 9 hours? Having a dealer that can service it is just as important.

Another question is the trailer...are you going to be able to have it registered to before you go to pick it up? Just a logistics thing but if you have to go there to sign paperwork then go back home to register the trailer then go back to pick it up.....

Is sales tax figured into your $4000 savings as well? NC is 4.75%, NY is over 8% right? You could save all of it if you head over here to NH where there's no sales tax at all. :) I could steer you to a great Mahindra dealer in south western NH and he sells trailers too.
They offered to meet over state lines so there would be no sales tax on my end. I would need to claim it on my taxes to according to them..Sales tax was not initially figured in so that would also be a plus not paying that up front.

Trailer wise they can fax all appropriate documents to my local DMV where I can go and get the registration and temporary inspection.

The LS XG3025 doesn't have the DPF so no regen!

Well then it will be the XG3025 thanks for the heads up!

/ Would you go through the effort? #7  
A nine hour trip to save $4000, and come home with a new trailer and box blade? I do that in a New York minute.

The trip might cost you $600 bucks or so, but don’t forget, you can deduct that on your taxes if you are doing it right. Do you still have to pay sales tax if you buy out of state? Not familiar with that as we don’t have sales tax here.......yet

A nine hour trip to save $4000, and come home with a new trailer and box blade? I do that in a New York minute.

The trip might cost you $600 bucks or so, but don’t forget, you can deduct that on your taxes if you are doing it right. Do you still have to pay sales tax if you buy out of state? Not familiar with that as we don’t have sales tax here.......yet

In NY if you buy something out of state you are supposed to claim it on your taxes but next to no one does it. Cost to add the backhoe to the package is $4995 for the sub frame backhoe so it would be $23,995 out the door -$200 for PT wood deck on the trailer. I think that is pretty good for the list below.

XG3025
FEL
5' Brush mower
5' box blade with sacrifiers
Subframe Backhoe
20' Dual axle trailer metal floor

To clarify the dealer in NY wants $22,302 with sales tax for Tractor, FEL, and SF backhoe. He was able to come down a little. So $1700 and 3 implements difference between local and out of state.

/ Would you go through the effort? #9  
I'm with grandpapy. I would drive that to save half of it.

If you pay cash everything might work out for you but if you take out a loan or have a dealer financing of some sort it might bite you when it comes tax time. It will ask on the tax form if you owe any user tax to your home state. Then your conscience will decide if you say yes or no.

That is what I found when I bought in Missouri and had it shipped to Wisconsin. Still owed Wisconsin sales tax.

The worst part is that I could really utilize the trailer for log length firewood.