Is a XU5055C or XU6158C Adequate for my Needs?

/ Is a XU5055C or XU6158C Adequate for my Needs? #1  

wjb-49

Silver Member
Tractor
LS MT573-CPS, Ford 4610
In shopping for a new tractor, I, like moat, must have one that will operate specific pieces of equipment. I am replacing a 1985 Ford 340B (inherited from family business) industrial tractor which has a quick attach skid steer compatible front end loader. The front end loader is fitted with third function auxiliary hydraulics to operate a 72" grapple. Initially I considered a Kioti NX5510 HST Cab but now I am seriously considering a LS XU5055C 55 HP OR XU6158C 58 HP. In addition to the grapple, the heaviest pieces of equipment I currently use are a Hardee 1198W Heavy Duty Dual Spindle Rotary Mower, which weighs approx. 1,525 lbs. and a Massey Ferguson 8 disc mower, which weighs approximately 965 lbs. and requires a minimum 50 PTO HP. Complete mower specifications are here. I currently use a Ford 4610 with the Hardee mower and a Ford 4630 with the MF disc mower.

Will either the 55 HP or the 58 HP LS machine handle my equipment, or should I move up to a 60 HP model?

In looking at the XU5055C and the XU6158C, as well as the XU5065CPS and the XU6168C, I find the primary differences to be the horsepower, the engine manufacturer and alternator capacity. What am I overlooking? Do the XU50** and XU61** have different intended uses?

One final question: The nearest LS dealer has both 2017 and 2018 models listed on his website. Does a major difference exist between the 2017 and 2018 models and should last year's model have a lower price?

Like any shopper, I am attempting to gather as much information as possible before visiting a dealer. I want to thank everyone for providing answers to my questions.

Last edited:
   / Is a XU5055C or XU6158C Adequate for my Needs? #2  
The XU6158 should just meet your 50 hp requirement. The 6168 has 60 PTO hp and would give a little more margin so you aren’t working it as hard.
I’m not really sure what the difference is between the the 50 and 61 series machines.
I do know the 2017 was the first year for the rear three point control (which is worth it weight on a cabbed tractor). I don’t know if there are any more upgrades for 2018.

/ Is a XU5055C or XU6158C Adequate for my Needs? #3  
In shopping for a new tractor, I, like moat, must have one that will operate specific pieces of equipment. I am replacing a 1985 Ford 340B (inherited from family business) industrial tractor which has a quick attach skid steer compatible front end loader. The front end loader is fitted with third function auxiliary hydraulics to operate a 72" grapple. Initially I considered a Kioti NX5510 HST Cab but now I am seriously considering a LS XU5055C 55 HP OR XU6158C 58 HP. In addition to the grapple, the heaviest pieces of equipment I currently use are a Hardee 1198W Heavy Duty Dual Spindle Rotary Mower, which weighs approx. 1,525 lbs. and a Massey Ferguson 8 disc mower, which weighs approximately 965 lbs. and requires a minimum 50 PTO HP. Complete mower specifications are here. I currently use a Ford 4610 with the Hardee mower and a Ford 4630 with the MF disc mower.

Will either the 55 HP or the 58 HP LS machine handle my equipment, or should I move up to a 60 HP model?

In looking at the XU5055C and the XU6158C, as well as the XU5065CPS and the XU6168C, I find the primary differences to be the horsepower, the engine manufacturer and alternator capacity. What am I overlooking? Do the XU50** and XU61** have different intended uses?

One final question: The nearest LS dealer has both 2017 and 2018 models listed on his website. Does a major difference exist between the 2017 and 2018 models and should last year's model have a lower price?

Like any shopper, I am attempting to gather as much information as possible before visiting a dealer. I want to thank everyone for providing answers to my questions.

Check out 3Lfarms other posts, he has posted the most on his machine. His posts talked me into the my XU6158, although it isn’t a cab model like his.

I also checked out the Kioti, the real plus I like about Kioti is the hydraulic pump, it pumps a lot more gallons per minute. The minus, it isn’t worth 5 grand more, to me.

/ Is a XU5055C or XU6158C Adequate for my Needs?
Thanks to both 3Lfarms and SGTDuckButter for your replies. I can already see that I probably should go with the XU6168. If the dealer still has 2017 XU6168 available, I will have to see if the 2018 XU6168 is worth the higher price.

/ Is a XU5055C or XU6158C Adequate for my Needs? #5  
I think you will find that the dealers don’t really discount last years models. The upside is when it’s time to sell model year doesn’t mean anything. All anyone cares about is how many hours are on the clock, condition, and installed options.
The only exception to that I can think of would be the the years on either side of mandatory emissions standards. I.e if tier 4 was mandated in 2015, I can see the 2014 model being worth more at resale.

I think you will find that the dealers don’t really discount last years models. The upside is when it’s time to sell model year doesn’t mean anything. All anyone cares about is how many hours are on the clock, condition, and installed options.
The only exception to that I can think of would be the the years on either side of mandatory emissions standards. I.e if tier 4 was mandated in 2015, I can see the 2014 model being worth more at resale.

Thanks. I'm learning that buying a new tractor is not like buying an automobile.

/ Is a XU5055C or XU6158C Adequate for my Needs? #7  
I ordered mine with backhoe and did not expect to see the few extra’s I got, LS over delivered. My open station XU6158 came with Cruise Control, Three rear remotes, backhoe on detect rear remote, also a creeper gear and the lever in the back for the rear three point. I thought I was buying the stripper model in the XU61 series. Compare that to the Kioti and it’s even, except for the more GPM pump and the 5 g up charge because Kioti is the second best seller in S Korea, after LS.

SGTDuckButter, it's good to hear that you had so many unexpected goodies included with your LS. I can only hope I will be as lucky when I buy my LS XU61 tractor. When you were ordering your tractor, did you have cause to inquire about the price of a third function hydraulics option?

In your last reply you said, " the 5 g up charge because Kioti is the second best seller in S Korea, after LS." It seems that Kioti would cost less if it is trying to catch-up to LS sales.

/ Is a XU5055C or XU6158C Adequate for my Needs? #9  
SGTDuckButter, it's good to hear that you had so many unexpected goodies included with your LS. I can only hope I will be as lucky when I buy my LS XU61 tractor. When you were ordering your tractor, did you have cause to inquire about the price of a third function hydraulics option?

In your last reply you said, " the 5 g up charge because Kioti is the second best seller in S Korea, after LS." It seems that Kioti would cost less if it is trying to catch-up to LS sales.

I did two years of research before this **** city boy bought his first tractor. I looked at every video in every country ever produced and posted on LS Tractors. I’m confident that if I wanted I could be the best salesman LS ever had. And could teach their salesman on how easy it is to sell this tractor brand. But don’t take my word for it. I believe the XU series is the most trouble free tractor LS offers. They did have a problem with the power shift some years ago. Like I said this is my first and only Tractor I don’t feel like I can really give great advise. But I compared LS to everything and I believe I got the most tractor for my money...

/ Is a XU5055C or XU6158C Adequate for my Needs? #10  
I think it has a lot to do with advertising. I have never seen or heard an advert for LS, even in a magazine.
I see and hear JD and Kubota most, followed by Mahindra and Kioti. I think its more than coincidence that when I was shopping, I found pricing pretty mush followed that same order. LS seems to have a word of mouth thing going on, and the only way to grow using that method is to have an outstanding product at lower cost.