LS Tractor Oil, Gas, & Air Filter Information

/ LS Tractor Oil, Gas, & Air Filter Information #241  
Thanks, Irishboomer. What filters are you planning on using?

Wix it’s what I always use on everything except my rig which I use CAT high efficiency filters

/ LS Tractor Oil, Gas, & Air Filter Information #242  
Finished the 250-hour service on my XG3037 today and decided to make a few notes:
*All of the WIX filters (oil, inner air, outer air, main fuel, and hydraulic) fit perfectly. The hydraulic filter was slightly shorter than the original but otherwise fit.
*The original inner air filter was very clean even after 250 hours of service....not a speck of dirt or dust. Probably did not need to change it, but did anyway. The outer filter obviously did it's job.
*The oil drain plug required a 17mm socket.
*Had to use a strap wrench on the hydraulic filter..tough spot and large diameter. Will definitely try the vacuum trick the next time....lost about a qt of fluid while changing the filter.
*Did the work in this order; air filters, pre-fuel filter, drained oil, oil filter, filled with oil, main fuel filter, hydraulic filter, all the rest.
*The oil fill location is in a fairly tight area and required the use of a flexible long fill spout on the oil container.
All in all, I was very pleased with it's serviceability and other than the strap wrench and the long flexible fill spout it didn't require any additional tools other than what I normally use to service my truck.

I am newbie about to do my 50 hour service on XG3037H. The posts you have here are VERY helpful. Let us know any further updates. Thanks!

/ LS Tractor Oil, Gas, & Air Filter Information #243  
Thanks, Jazz56. This is a great forum and everyone is so helpful. It's a big benefit to everyone when we each share our experience and knowledge.

One thing I discovered about the XG3037 is that the radiator fan creates such a powerful suction through the radiator screen/radiator that you really need to check and clean the screen more frequently than maybe you are used to doing. There is a safety that kicks in and puts the tractor in basically a "limp mode" if the coolant temp runs high. It will reset once the temp drops, but this requires turning it off, cleaning the screen, and then restarting.

I discovered this when I was mowing tall grass and suddenly went into the limp mode. Took a picture of the dash in case my dealer/serviceman needed it to diagnose the problem and the noticed that the coolant temp gauge indicated high temp. Turned off the tractor, raised the hood, and discovered the radiator screen was nearly covered with debris. Cleaned it off and restarted the tractor and the temp immediately dropped to normal. Asked my dealer about this and, sure enough, there is a safety relay that puts the tractor into limp mode when it senses high coolant temp. Great idea and now I know to keep a closer eye on this. Hope this helps you.

/ LS Tractor Oil, Gas, & Air Filter Information #244  
i learned this exact same lesson as well doing some brush hogging in tall stuff near the house. Tractor went into limp mode, so I shut it down and cleaned off everything and it was fine. Couldn't believe how much stuff and how fast it clogged the screen. Thanks!!

Another question and I'm sure it's been answered buried somewhere in this lengthy post but maybe you could answer your experience. Using these cross referenced filters doesn't void the tractor warranty correct? I'm figuring you would know.

/ LS Tractor Oil, Gas, & Air Filter Information #245  
The short answer is no.

/ LS Tractor Oil, Gas, & Air Filter Information #246  
No, but save receipts to show when you purchased the filters and keep track of hours and dates when you changed them. Always good to have supporting documentation.

Last edited:
   / LS Tractor Oil, Gas, & Air Filter Information #247  
No, but save receipts to show when you purchased the filters and keep track of hours and dates when you changed them. Always good to have supporting documentation.

Good point will do. It gets pretty cold here in winter and tractor will be used every couple of days. Stored in unheated pole barn so I'm thinking Shell Rotella Diesel 5W-40 been recommended as really good product. Thoughts?

/ LS Tractor Oil, Gas, & Air Filter Information #248  
I use tractor supply in the truck and tractor

/ LS Tractor Oil, Gas, & Air Filter Information #249  
Good point will do. It gets pretty cold here in winter and tractor will be used every couple of days. Stored in unheated pole barn so I'm thinking Shell Rotella Diesel 5W-40 been recommended as really good product. Thoughts?

You might want to also consider Shell Rotella T6 5W-30...have heard good things about it for cold climates. Also, be sure to add a winter fuel additive to your fuel, such as Power Service Diesel Kleen (white bottle). Diesel contains additives that will turn to jelly and plug your fuel system in bitter cold.

/ LS Tractor Oil, Gas, & Air Filter Information #250  
You might want to also consider Shell Rotella T6 5W-30...have heard good things about it for cold climates. Also, be sure to add a winter fuel additive to your fuel, such as Power Service Diesel Kleen (white bottle). Diesel contains additives that will turn to jelly and plug your fuel system in bitter cold.

Hi Wayne,

Yes, that痴 fine, they are fully compatible and this will help with winter startup flow.? You can make up one to the other as needed.? These are also compliant with the dpf.

Thanks for using Rotella.

?

Regards,

Keith Perry

Shell Technical Information

(800) 237-8645 Option 3, 1

Email:? shelltechnical-us@shell.com

Technical data sheets and SDS for current products may be found at: Product Catalogue Search
?

?

Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 10:20 AM
To: SLUBE shelltechnical-us SLUBE <shelltechnical-us@shell.com>
Subject: LS XR4040C tractor

?

?

I'M Running rotella T5 15W40 in my tractor now , would it be ok to switch to Rotella T6 full synthetic even through its 5W40 ? This Tractor does have a DPF anti pollution system ,?

? ? ? ? ? ?Thanks Wayne

?

?

Sent from my U.S.Cellularゥ Smartphone