Ford 8N owner ready to go with LS

/ Ford 8N owner ready to go with LS #1  

Jimjammer4

Tractor
LS 3039 SH TRANS
Hello to all the LS owners on the forum.
I've owned, maintained, and operated a 1948 Ford 8N tractor for the last 23 years. I have 6 acres and I use the 8N mainly for brush hogging our pastures and grading dirt and gravel. It's been a great friend and helper, but now that I'm getting older, I don't have the time anymore to keep working on the old 8N. I also need to move up to a tractor with an FEL in order to do things I wasn't able to do with the 8N (no FEL). It's time to buy one more good tractor to last until I leave this good earth.

I've done my due diligience for the last six months (this LS forum has helped a lot!) and LS appears to be the tractor manufacturer I've been looking for when you consider all the many pros and cons. You guys seem to know what you are talking about, so maybe you know about the new LS G Series that is about to be made available to replace the I Series. (According to my local LS dealer in Smithton IL). Actually, I was totally sold on the I3040 and finally called the dealer stating that I was ready to buy it and pick it up. Bad news... they sold the last two and I was told that they will no longer be available (according to LS). He suggested that a brand new series and model (LS G3039) was practically the same as the I3040, with a few exceptions (Like a 38hp 3 cylinder diesel instead of a 4 cylinder). The price he quoted originally for the I33040 ($16,900) will remain the same, He said they are expecting to get some in around the beginning of April 2011 and he put me on a list of people they will call when they have them. I will not waste time when they call. So...., if you have any more information on the G3039 I would sure appreciate any info you may have about it. Thanks... and I really enjoy the LS forum.

/ Ford 8N owner ready to go with LS #2  
So...., if you have any more information on the G3039 I would sure appreciate any info you may have about it. Thanks... and I really enjoy the LS forum.

Welcome to the TBN LS forum Jimjammer4. Not sure if anybody here is going to be able to tell you anything about the new models. I've heard nothing about the "G" models. Unfortunately, the LS Tractor USA web site (lstractorusa.com) is fairly weak on content and rarely updated. I'm going to pop-off an email to them to see if they'll update their web site. BUT that shouldn't reflect too badly on the brand as everything thus far indicates LS tractors are generally pretty solid.

/ Ford 8N owner ready to go with LS #3  
Hello fellow ford owner! I too ran a ford 8n for years and like you just got tire of working on the darn thing. I ordered a LS4020 and waiting to take delv on it. I dont know anything about the new models coming out but, maybe the change of models is why its taking longer to get my tractor in to my dealer. I have heard from other post here that the 4020 and 4010 are being replaced with new models. Guess I better make a phone call to my dealer soon. Anyway you will be happy with this brand tractor I looked for a long time and put some seat time on many brands before going with the LS tractor

/ Ford 8N owner ready to go with LS #4  
Jim, I am in the same situation. After a loooong search, I settled on an i3040 and then found that they are no longer available. So the dealer suggested the R3039 instead. He said it is the i3040 replacement. The brochure I have says they have a 38.5hp, 4cyl. engine, integrated joystick controller, and telescopic lower link. So while I wait for the tractor to be delivered(timeline unkown) I have this nifty brochure to look at-woohoo! Update- my dealer just called and the tractor is in. Standby for pics!

/ Ford 8N owner ready to go with LS #5  
Hey Jim, I'm a new LS owner too and am glad to hear you've also found the LS to be it for you. Makes me feel smarter and that I've made a good decision :)

I can't say much on G series as I've been looking at the R's but as Joe mentioned, I also saw the R3039 so I don't know if G3039 was misspoken to you or if they really have the two models. But either way I bet it'll be a great tractor!

LittleBlue: I hope your email gets heeded cuz I'd love to see the new models on their site too!

avatar: Ask your dealer if he can get you a R4047. He may not be aware of the model changes and is why he is having trouble getting the 4020 (and 4010)

/ Ford 8N owner ready to go with LS #6  
LittleBlue: I hope your email gets heeded cuz I'd love to see the new models on their site too!

I'm disappointed to say they haven't even acknowledged my comments. Mentioned that lstractorusa.com is the first place people expect to find information about the brand and that they had a pretty good reputation with us LS owners on TBN. Guess they may not have been real happy with me saying their web site wasn't very effective and that there's lots of good web designers out there looking for work if they need one.

Seems like they feel their web site is little more than a sales brochure -- well if that's the way they feel, then it should at least be up to date with the current models being shipped to, and sold by, their dealers. Sorry, it just annoys me that they are missing out on such an important marketing/customer service tool. Kinda implies a certain "immaturity" of the brand if you ask me.

/ Ford 8N owner ready to go with LS #7  
Kinda implies a certain "immaturity" of the brand if you ask me.

I agree and I'm sure that its because they don't realize how cheap and effective a decent website can market and promote a brand. They can also link online sales directly to a local dealer. I'm sure that's how green and orange probably handle theirs...

/ Ford 8N owner ready to go with LS #8  
I surely hope that LS puts more thought into their tractors than they do their website. Seems like all the tractors on the LS website have the curved-arm front end loader, but in fact only the smaller (G series I think) line have the curved arms. Compared to JD or Kubota websites, LS is way behind the power curve. You would think with so few dealers, as opposed to the other big brands, they would make it a point to have a comprehensive website.

/ Ford 8N owner ready to go with LS
To: Joemd11 - Sounds like my dealer may be a little confused about the model changes. The specs for the R3039 you reported in your post are identical to the I3040, so I think you may have the right one (My dealer thought it was a G3039) Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the pics you'll be sending. That's great news! I hope to hear from my dealer soon also so that I can see it and get some money down on it before someone else buys it. No offense to my old 8N, but my pastures are already starting to grow and I'd rather cut it with a new tractor with more horse power and power steering. :)

/ Ford 8N owner ready to go with LS
Hello fellow ford owner! I too ran a ford 8n for years and like you just got tire of working on the darn thing. I ordered a LS4020 and waiting to take delv on it. I dont know anything about the new models coming out but, maybe the change of models is why its taking longer to get my tractor in to my dealer. I have heard from other post here that the 4020 and 4010 are being replaced with new models. Guess I better make a phone call to my dealer soon. Anyway you will be happy with this brand tractor I looked for a long time and put some seat time on many brands before going with the LS tractor

To: AVATAR
It's nice to hear someone talk about the work that it takes to keep an old tractor running. There are a lot of Ford enthusiasts out there that seem to really enjoy buying old 8Ns and rehabbing them to new condition. I used to be that way, but now it seems a better idea to spend the little time I have actually getting some real work done with the tractor instead of "working on the tractor". From my research, I am convinced that a well maintained LS tractor will probably keep working for many years just like my old 8N. I agree that it's time to call your dealer and get some answers regarding your tractor. Let him know Spring's here and time's a wastin'. Thanks for the info.