LS i3040 versus R3039?

/ LS i3040 versus R3039? #1  

swillason

I have never owned a tractor. However, we now have 5 acres to maintain so I need a compact tractor for brush clearing, some tilling, snow removal and for a huge landscaping project which will include the extensive use of a backhoe over a period of a year or two.

I am looking at a LS i3040H tractor with a LB2100 backhoe. It seems to be a great tractor with more than ample power for my needs. The local dealer痴 lowest price is $23,400 for the tractor, loader and backhoe the tractor has been sitting on his lot for some time. Does anyone know if that is that a decent price for this LS tractor set-up? Or should I pass on the i3040 and order the new version, the R3039H, for a higher price? I haven稚 seen the R3039H so I don稚 know if it is worth more money, but I do like the idea of getting the latest model.

Any input concerning either the i3040 and/or the R3039 would really be appreciated.
Thanks!

/ LS i3040 versus R3039? #2  
Might want to update your location info. Some people may be able to help.

/ LS i3040 versus R3039? #3  
For a hydrsostat and backhoe, the quoted price given to you seems reasonable for the i3040. Granted, it likely could have been purchased a year ago for $2K less, but I'm afraid those days of rock bottom prices are over now that LS has started making a name for themselves. I'm certain a comparable machine in green or orange would be a few thousand more.

/ LS i3040 versus R3039?
Thanks for the reply. I am located in Utah and the closest dealer does not stock the R3039 which I have read is the replacement for the i3040. In fact, they didn't know much about the R3039.

Since I am new to the tractor world, I am mostly concerned with buying a model that is being replaced. Maybe buying a discontinued model is no big deal ?

/ LS i3040 versus R3039? #5  
No big deal, if you want the extending lift arms, you can swap them out for a few hundred, les than the cost difference between the two models. the other notable difference is the fender mounted joystick, rather than up on the loader. If you are OK with the loader joystick position than the savings on the I3040 will make it the better tractor for you.

/ LS i3040 versus R3039? #6  
No big deal, if you want the extending lift arms, you can swap them out for a few hundred, les than the cost difference between the two models. the other notable difference is the fender mounted joystick, rather than up on the loader. If you are OK with the loader joystick position than the savings on the I3040 will make it the better tractor for you.

The price given of $23,400 seems a little steep to me, even with the backhoe. My dealer here in Illinois usually sticks with the LS suggested price. For the 2011 R3039 I was lucky enough to find, he quoted $17,900 for the tractor and FEL. He originally quoted me $16,900 for a 2010 I3040, but it was sold before I was ready to buy. I'm glad of that because the FEL joystick control on the R3039 is light years ahead of the older joy stick setup on the I3040 (IMHO). The extenders on the lift arm do make a difference if you don't like jumping off and on the tractor multiple times when lining it up with your implements for connection.
Other than that, the two machines appear to be the same. You would do well to own either machine, but try to talk your dealer into going down a couple thousand dollars on the I3040. Remind him that it's last year's model. If he's had it a while, he may bite and make you a better offer.

/ LS i3040 versus R3039? #7  
but try to talk your dealer into going down a couple thousand dollars on the I3040.

This is my problem.
I should not have to talk anybody down in price.
The cost to the dealer with delivery charges and profit should be set!
We are talking about thousand of dollars.

HELLO

It's real money you will pay for it eventually.

/ LS i3040 versus R3039? #8  
The price given of $23,400 seems a little steep to me, even with the backhoe. My dealer here in Illinois usually sticks with the LS suggested price. For the 2011 R3039 I was lucky enough to find, he quoted $17,900 for the tractor and FEL. He originally quoted me $16,900 for a 2010 I3040.

Bear in mind that the original poster is looking at a I3040H hydrostatic, not the shuttle model which would be $1000-1500 cheaper.
$23,400 actually sounds to me like a pretty darn good deal if it's a 3040H with LS backhoe.

/ LS i3040 versus R3039? #9  
Very true. My r3039 Is not HS and did not include backhoe. I think the I3040 is a great tractor, so if you are still thinking about it, I say go for it.

/ LS i3040 versus R3039? #10  
Just got literature on the two today. The R3039 has the telescopic lower links, has a different hood, lifts less on 3-pt but still a lot, lifts a lot more with the loader and the loader is heavier and has 1.6 more gpm flow with .7 gpm of it at the remotes which would be good for loader work. The R3039 appears the be the model their making for New Holland, (Boomer 35), so it has the New Holland style hood on it that I think looks a lot better than the one on the I3040.

Loader, telescopic links and hydraulic flow probably are worth the extra money. Looks are bonus.