3-Point Hitch New LS G3033

/ New LS G3033 #1  

randombro

Tractor
LS 3036
After 25 years of service, my old Ford 801 left me flat this past winter. I mainly used it for plowing snow, road grading, and general hauling. I have 20 wooded aces and 1/2 mile private road.

I decided to finally bite the bullet and buy a new tractor. After comparing the big names I visited a Mahindra dealer and there discovered the LS line. I read all the reviews out there and was pretty much settled on an S3010. Dealer quoted me $13,388 for tractor with FEL, which sounded very reasonable.

The only things I didn't like about the S3010 were the lack of a folding ROPS and the really sloppy way the FEL hydraulic lines were routed. Just when I was about to close the deal, he mentioned he had just gotten in a new LS value compact; the G3033. It was 33 hp (compared to 28.5 for the S3010) and had a nice neat hydraulic package. (same non-folding ROPS). Dealer quote for the G3033 plus FEL was $600 more than the S3010. I bought it and it was delivered to me last night.

Now the bad news. After 2 hours of light work with it today, the 3-point hitch locked up on me in the raised position. I called the dealer and he treated me like an idiot. After doing all the things he suggested (things I had already tried), he concluded that I must have done something wrong. He finally told me to just remove the implement and see what happens (easier said than done with a 400 pound blade 18" off the ground). I got the blade off and the operating arms still wouldn't drop. I then called the dealer back but they were closed for the day.

I understand that things happen and that LS has a good warranty but I'm afraid this guy is going to charge me $100 to pick this machine up for repairs. Needless to say, my initial experience with my new LS has not been positive. I'll let you all know how this shakes out.

/ New LS G3033 #2  
Random, sorry to hear your having a problem with your tractor. Have you tried adjusting that knob that is below the seat. It adjusts how fast the 3 point hitch will lower. It will also lock it in the up position if the knob is turned all the way. Hope it is something simple.
Cheers,
Joe

/ New LS G3033 #3  
Now the bad news. After 2 hours of light work with it today, the 3-point hitch locked up on me in the raised position. I called the dealer and he treated me like an idiot. After doing all the things he suggested (things I had already tried), he concluded that I must have done something wrong. He finally told me to just remove the implement and see what happens (easier said than done with a 400 pound blade 18" off the ground). I got the blade off and the operating arms still wouldn't drop. I then called the dealer back but they were closed for the day.

I understand that things happen and that LS has a good warranty but I'm afraid this guy is going to charge me $100 to pick this machine up for repairs. Needless to say, my initial experience with my new LS has not been positive. I'll let you all know how this shakes out.

"Not positive" has to be a bit of an understatement -- you have every right really hacked off. Not so much because of the problem (tractors are complicated machines after all), but the crappy treatment by the dealer is unacceptable. Clearly, "this ain't your first rodeo" and you know tractors so I'm not too sure just what he thought you may have done to it in 2 hours. I'm sure he told you about the 3-point adjusting knob under the seat. I'd guess that is probably what is malfunctioning -- maybe it's stuck closed (or the valve is blocked by debris) even if you turn it.

To me, that is the scariest aspect of buying an LS right now -- not enough dealers to shop around to make sure you find a good one. I know there are some good ones out there because of their posts to this forum, but I guess it's kind of a crap shoot right now. Fortunately, there hasn't been a lot of problems reported and most of the comments about getting things fixed by LS dealers have been better than your experience thus far. I hope your dealer gets his act together on this. Be sure to let us know how this goes.

/ New LS G3033 #4  
I'm not sure if that model has it or even if LS has it but many tractors have the ability to lock your hydraulic flow for safety reasons. Does your loader still work?

Still, I think the dealer should've came out that night or should at least rush over in the morning. I working right now with LS dealer and he sounds good and I like him and I'm not afraid of getting an LS in the compact range but for my AG tractor I just bought a New Holland because when my AG tractor breaks it needs to be fixed yesterday.

/ New LS G3033 #5  
Random, sorry to hear your having a problem with your tractor. Have you tried adjusting that knob that is below the seat. It adjusts how fast the 3 point hitch will lower. It will also lock it in the up position if the knob is turned all the way. Hope it is something simple.
Cheers,
Joe
Thats what I was thinking.

I'm not sure if that model has it or even if LS has it but many tractors have the ability to lock your hydraulic flow for safety reasons. Does your loader still work?

Still, I think the dealer should've came out that night or should at least rush over in the morning. I working right now with LS dealer and he sounds good and I like him and I'm not afraid of getting an LS in the compact range but for my AG tractor I just bought a New Holland because when my AG tractor breaks it needs to be fixed yesterday.
A Sh!ty dealer is a Sh!ty dealer no matter what he sells. It could happen to ANYONE on any make.

/ New LS G3033
"Not positive" has to be a bit of an understatement -- you have every right really hacked off. Not so much because of the problem (tractors are complicated machines after all), but the crappy treatment by the dealer is unacceptable. Clearly, "this ain't your first rodeo" and you know tractors so I'm not too sure just what he thought you may have done to it in 2 hours. I'm sure he told you about the 3-point adjusting knob under the seat. I'd guess that is probably what is malfunctioning -- maybe it's stuck closed (or the valve is blocked by debris) even if you turn it.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I suspect it is the 3-point adjusting knob that is malfunctioning (or blocked or stuck in the "locked" position); it still freely moves about one full turn but the manual says it "may" turn two full turns. Speaking of the manual, all I can say is that LS needs to employ an editor fluent in the English language. The FEL hydraulics still work just fine. So does the power steering although that is a separate pump.

I don't claim to be a tractor expert but I have been using one with a 3-point for 25 years plus I have a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering (now retired). This indeed isn't my first rodeo and I think I have a fair understanding of the way this thing is supposed to work. I admit to being just a tad frustrated.

I'm a pretty tolerant guy so I'm willing to give the dealer the benefit of the doubt (maybe he was ALSO having a bad day). I'm waiting for the guy to open this morning so we can start the next round of phone "discussions". I'm hopeful this will be resolved quickly and easily.

On the plus side, I was impressed with the power, handling, and responsiveness of this tractor. Of course, that's like saying "Other that that, how did you enjoy the play Ms. Lincoln?"

/ New LS G3033 #7  
I'm a pretty tolerant guy so I'm willing to give the dealer the benefit of the doubt (maybe he was ALSO having a bad day). I'm waiting for the guy to open this morning so we can start the next round of phone "discussions". I'm hopeful this will be resolved quickly and easily.

On the plus side, I was impressed with the power, handling, and responsiveness of this tractor. Of course, that's like saying "Other that that, how did you enjoy the play Ms. Lincoln?"

I'm pretty tolerant too once I settle down. :) Yes, I agree, you can't judge the guy by his behavior yesterday. I'm just surprised he didn't give YOU the benefit of the doubt. You guys are just at the beginning long term business relationship and that's not the way to start it off. I'm guessing this will all work out fine in the end, but it has tarnished what should have been a really good experience. Anyway, welcome to the LS forum -- a diverse group of personalities!:laughing:

/ New LS G3033 #8  
randombro, welcome to the forum. I also have a ford 801 series (841) and have gone to LS tractor (mine is a Montana but its made by LS). I really am sorry that you are having problems with your tractor, but I am sure it will be taken care of. Did your dealer just take on the LS line, maybe he is just going through an established checklist as a trouble shooting process. From what others have stated here, warranty issues do not seem to be an issue. I have never had a warranty issue or even a problem yet, and my dealer has been selling these tractors for a lone time he started with farmtec, then Montana, and now sells the LS brand all of these brands are for the most part LS tractors and he has had a lot of luck with them.
Although you have a right to be upset at this time hang in there, these really are good tractors but things do break even your old 801 (as I well know) broke once in a while. I am sure this just something small, even if its more the warranty should take care of it. If your dealer turns out to be just one of those dealers, contact LS I am sure they would want to know if they have one of those dealers, but you (as you seem to be doing) do need to give him a chance to prove that he is upstanding or not.

/ New LS G3033
Well things seem to have resolved themselves.

As I mentioned, I had the down-control knob all the way counter-clockwise (making for a fast drop) but the arms would still not move. As I also mentioned, I was only getting about one full turn out of the knob (from locked to fully open). The manual says it should turn about two revolutions. The manual also says not to force the knob.

This morning I went out, started the tractor, and was able to get two ADDITIONAL turns out of the knob. The arms dropped and the hitch now seems to be working normally.

Best I can figure is the little bleed valve was stuck and it took overnight for the pressure to equalize enough for the valve to open up. I called the dealer and reported my findings and results; he was back to being the nice helpful guy I had originally assessed him to be. (I guess maybe he WAS having a bad day yesterday.) He had never heard of this happening but said he would report it to LS. For now, we'll just keep an eye on this.

My blood pressure has now returned to normal along (hopefully) with my hydraulic pressure. Thanks for the help guys. I'll write a full review on the G3033 once I have more seat time on it. Right now, I have a road to grade.

/ New LS G3033
randombro, welcome to the forum. I also have a ford 801 series (841) and have gone to LS tractor (mine is a Montana but its made by LS).

Hey Guesseral, it's good to meet a fellow Pennsylvanian here. I live about 40 miles southeast of Pittsburgh, near the ski resorts.

My Ford is also an 841 and it has now been sitting 5 weeks with a local tractor mechanic. (The guy is 80 years old so I hate to rush him.) I'm pretty sure it has a cracked intake manifold but old Vince isn't so sure. I hope to find it a good home once it is repaired.

To address your question, my dealer has been selling Montanas and Mahindras for many years and took on the LS line as soon as it hit the market. So he ain't no rookie at this. As my last post indicated, we're back to being buddies again.