4cyl vs 3 cyl

/ 4cyl vs 3 cyl #1  

Jhiphop72

Bronze Member
Tractor
1954 Super M
Ok trying to decide between G3033 G3038 and R3039, and I have a question about the engine differnces. I read somewhere on here the 3 cyl is a Mtsubishi engine also and I also read somewhere its a Japaneese copy but not made by Mtsubishi. So which is true.??
Also and most importantly, what is known about the relability of the 3 cyl.? I know the 4 cyl is world class, well documented as reliable, but unsure on the 3 cyl. Noise and vibration differnces to me are not a concern, but depenability and reliability are.

/ 4cyl vs 3 cyl #2  
I'm not sure if its a copy or not and I actually hadn't noticed that different engine before on the G3 models. If its made by japanese though then its likely a good engine. I'm not finding much with google on L3BL or L3AL though so it may be a new design. I look forward to seeing what gets found out about it

/ 4cyl vs 3 cyl
I spoke with a sales agent from Smiths last week who told me it was Mitsubishi engine design that LS is building themselves, as opposed to the other engines they use directly from Mistubishi. As far as parts go I asked which engine it was for a cross reference and he did not know.

/ 4cyl vs 3 cyl #4  
Personally I'd prefer the Mitsubishi made by Mitsubishi.

I posted this awhile back:

Default Mitsubishi engine?
I've looked at the Boomer 40, R4041, R3039, U5030 and I202H. The Boomer 40 and R4041 have "Made by LS in Korea" on their engines which is odd as the other tractors all have Mitsubishi right on their engines. So, looking at the improved LS website today for the R4041, R4047 and U5020 it says (Mitsubishi origin) next to the engine spec. So does this mean it's made by LS but has a Mitsubishi design? If that's the case that's not a good move IMO.

For the value compact G3033 and G3038 they just have an identification number no Mitsubishi at all next to it.

The P series have Iveco engines though I've heard that Cummins may be in the works.

All other LS tractors have Mitsubishi engines.

/ 4cyl vs 3 cyl #5  
I'm thinking that if Mitsubishi went into a joint manufacture deal with LS for a particular engine, that the factory setup, production lines, robotics, etc., would be overseen closely by Mitsubishi. It would be a clone, all the way. The workers would be trained in Japan at the original engine factory and not signed off on without a lot of surety on the part of both companies. To do less would not be good for either company. The two countries are across a small pond from each other and would share in the same materials and parts stream. I don't know if you've ever noticed, but among many Asian countries, these two are among the most competitive. There would be a lot riding on success.

Apparently my S4QS is one of these "Mitsubishi Origin" types, so I'm hoping I'm right. It went over 100 hours today.

LS is still building its name, and probably in no position yet to dump its quality and sell junk under its banner (like too many US companies I can think of).

/ 4cyl vs 3 cyl
Let me clarify. The engines listed as Mitsu engines are manufactured by Mitsu and installed by LS on their tractors. the L3BL in the G3033 and L3AL in G3038 are Mitsu design but manufactured by LS. Suppposedly Mitsu makes a 3 cyl engine same design and builds it themselves, but LS chooses not to use it and instead builds the engine themselves. so in that sense it is a Mitsu engine I would hesitate to say copy only because that implies it was reverse engineered. Since the two companies already have a relationship collaboration might be a better word. HP At keast thats whats been explained to me but like I said I dont know the cross refrences with the Mitsu engine

/ 4cyl vs 3 cyl #7  
Let me clarify. The engines listed as Mitsu engines are manufactured by Mitsu and installed by LS on their tractors. the L3BL in the G3033 and L3AL in G3038 are Mitsu design but manufactured by LS. Suppposedly Mitsu makes a 3 cyl engine same design and builds it themselves, but LS chooses not to use it and instead builds the engine themselves. so in that sense it is a Mitsu engine I would hesitate to say copy only because that implies it was reverse engineered. Since the two companies already have a relationship collaboration might be a better word. HP At keast thats whats been explained to me but like I said I dont know the cross refrences with the Mitsu engine
Hey all I have one of those L3BL engines in my G 3033H I bought it in July have 81.7 hrs on it and I think it's on the way to seizing !!! Had the dealer pick it up this am to look at it !

/ 4cyl vs 3 cyl #8  
Hey all I have one of those L3BL engines in my G 3033H I bought it in July have 81.7 hrs on it and I think it's on the way to seizing !!! Had the dealer pick it up this am to look at it !

Good thing you have a 5 years on the power train.

/ 4cyl vs 3 cyl #10  
There are many companies making products under a license from the patent holder or original manufacturer. It doesnt mean that the product is worse or better than the orignal, just made to the original design. Everyone engine manufacturer has a bad engine occassionally, its just the nature of metal fabrication with human interaction that occassionally something goes wrong when you have so many parts to machine, forge and assemble. The real quality of fabrication of any product is how well the warranty stands up when something goes wrong. So far with the minor issues I have had, LS responds quickly and stands behind their product. They didnt invest millions in putting in a brand new facility to make their tractors to let a few minor issues ruin their investment. I am sure that LS could have chosen any engine manufacturer that they wanted to pursue for manufacturering license or to buy engines from but chose IVECO and Mitsubishi as there business partners.