R3039 Draft control ???

/ R3039 Draft control ??? #1  

joemd11

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039, Power King 1614, Simplicity Soveriegn 75th Aniv model.
Operating under the assumption that the only dumb question is a question not asked....here it goes. When I mow with my flail mower I have been putting the draft control lever(I think that is what it is called) in its mid-range position and everything seems to work fine. I've read the manual about the operation of this lever, but it doesn't really give much info. I have some uneven terrain that I mow and don't want to damage any equipment. Anyone have any info on this lever and its proper use with different attatchments (flail mower vs. box blade)?
P.S. Hope everyone has a safe and fun 4th of July. Take a moment to think of those who made and continue to make this holiday possible.:thumbsup:

/ R3039 Draft control ??? #2  
Take a moment to think of those who made and continue to make this holiday possible.:thumbsup:

The British Crown, the Crown Corporations, and the army they sent here to enforce that economy on this continent, and the folks who got fed up with the situation. It would be good to understand that history and all its parallels around this planet.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

Government:
of the people,
by the corporations,
for the super rich​

Last edited:
   / R3039 Draft control ??? #3  
Draft control is not to be used when mowing. It is for dirt moving-digging work. You should have the draft control lever in the off position when not in use.

/ R3039 Draft control ???
Thanks for the info Mtn. I re-read my manual and I think it is saying the same thing. The lever on my tractor does not show an "off" position but I would assume that it is the same as "up". I will experiment with it the next time I mow.

/ R3039 Draft control ??? #5  
Thanks for the info Mtn. I re-read my manual and I think it is saying the same thing. The lever on my tractor does not show an "off" position but I would assume that it is the same as "up". I will experiment with it the next time I mow.

I actually think that it is all the way forward in the down position, but you should double check. ;)

/ R3039 Draft control ??? #6  
MtnViewRanch said:
I actually think that it is all the way forward in the down position, but you should double check. ;)

What he said it should be down.

/ R3039 Draft control ???
Down it is. Thanks guys!

/ R3039 Draft control ??? #8  
The draft control feature was designed to plow land with a moldboard plow. You set the depth with the position control lever and then adjust the depth as you are plowing with the draft control. When the tractor engine started to load, because of heavier soil conditions, or other factors, you raised the draft control lever slightly to raise the plow a little to give more traction to the rear wheels. Manufactures years ago, made some great design drafts. Today, most designs have fell by the waist side. They are very basic, barely working or not working at all. trac

/ R3039 Draft control ??? #9  
The draft control feature was designed to plow land with a moldboard plow. You set the depth with the position control lever and then adjust the depth as you are plowing with the draft control. When the tractor engine started to load, because of heavier soil conditions, or other factors, you raised the draft control lever slightly to raise the plow a little to give more traction to the rear wheels. Manufactures years ago, made some great design drafts. Today, most designs have fell by the waist side. They are very basic, barely working or not working at all. trac

While I cannot fairly comment on how all the different manufacturers Draft Control works, from what I have read on this board, many many people simply do not understand when, where or how to use it. :( I think that many of the operators manuals do a poor job of describing how to use Draft Control. Again from what I use and from the posts that I read from people that do understand how to use Draft Control, Draft Controls works just fine on many different makes of machines, a person just needs to know how to use it.

JMO ;)

/ R3039 Draft control ??? #10  
I have had a bit of confusion, as this is the first time I've had the feature. This thread has helped me understand it.