That Parking Brake

/ That Parking Brake #1  

Short Game

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS R4010 & Cub Cadet 7300
I have been forgetting to release the brake lever. I've done it several times already. When it's on hard enough to hold it on a slight hill, it's almost unnoticeable when I put power to the wheels. I don't know how many times I can get away with my normal forgetfulness. I went about 600 feet yesterday with the lever pulled up. I know I've got that red light on the instrument display, but I guess I'm hard to retrain. Actuating the lever is a bit hard on my bad back too.

I miss the way my Cub Cadet brake worked. Just hit the pedals and the parking lock lets go. That system was so simple that I believe I can put a second lock of that style on the pedals quite easily. I will try it and make pictures of the parts and installation.

/ That Parking Brake #2  
I miss the way my Cub Cadet brake worked. Just hit the pedals and the parking lock lets go. That system was so simple that I believe I can put a second lock of that style on the pedals quite easily. I will try it and make pictures of the parts and installation.

That's the way the parking brake works on my S3010, but I have still forgotten to release it. My place is so flat that I rarely need to use it so I usually don't and just drop the loader bucket to the ground. Maybe not the safest solution....:ashamed:

You might want to look at the parking brake lever on the S3010 -- it might save you the trouble of having to build one. I would send a pic but my tractor is about an hour away. I'll look through my pics and manuals to see if I have anything that might help.

/ That Parking Brake #3  
Ha, just today I let the wife drive the R3039 around the field and after she had gone about 30yrds she yells " is this red P supposed to be on" - DOH! Thats the one thing I forgot to tell her about. Too many levers to keep track of.

/ That Parking Brake #4  
Don't know if any of this will help, but here is what it shows in the S3010 manual:

brake.jpg

And here is a shot I took to show the wiring to my diverter. It kinda shows the design of the parking brake:

brake2.jpg

Good luck if you decide to modify yours.:)

/ That Parking Brake #5  
Well the Parking Brake doesn't seem to hold the tractor much on mine...Im wondering if there is an adjustment. I seem to forget the thing is on also. I guess I need to work out a startup procedure. I used to go L-R on my cub...but ALOT less gadgets on that.:confused2:

/ That Parking Brake #6  
I have been contemplating looking into adding some wiring that would activate a buzzer or beeper anytime the parking brake is on and the hyrdo pedals are depressed. I had been used to my Dad's JD that we almost never used the brakes on and find myself leaving the parking break on. It does make a slight difference when moving, but sure not enough for me to remember to release it every time!

/ That Parking Brake
That's a great idea. I can see taking a tap off the brake light wire and running it through a switch that is activated when I take the shuttle out of neutral. I'll call it, "memory enhancement."

/ That Parking Brake #8  
I dont have a problem remembering to release my parking brake. By just nominal pressure to lock it in, the engine will stall if not released. I would think that all parking brakes would do the same if properly adjusted

/ That Parking Brake
That's probably right. It might just be that "properly adjusted" and "brand new" are not the same thing. It might be time to tighten mine up.

/ That Parking Brake #10  
I have a Boomer 35 which for all intents and purposes is an LS. The machine sure beeps and drives you crazy for not having the brake on at shut down, why doesn't it alert you when you have left it on...I've done the same thing. Apparently I don't have it set tight enough to hold the tractor. Sure makes your feel dumb when you look down and see it on though.:mur: