Fuel tank leaking

/ Fuel tank leaking #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
I just returned from a month in Wyoming and found my newly filled 25 gallon fuel tank empty. After putting in some fuel, I discovered that it appears to be leaking under the small metal "skid" plate at the front of the tank which is held to the plastic tank by 4 bolts into the plastic tank. This looks like a PP engineering job of placing a protective plate under the tank but bolting it into the plastic tank itself. I called the dealer and asked him to order a new tank for it.
My question is "Has anyone else had an issue with their fuel tank leaking? I know of lots of issues discussed right here on TBN with the LS manufactured Montana's fuel tank leaking and this seems to be an identical issue. I have lost about 30 gallons of fuel to this now not to mention the down time without a tractor that this is going to take to get a replacement tank.

/ Fuel tank leaking #2  
You know I was under my U5030 and saw the screws in the plate I was hoping they were not into the tank. I'll kept my eye on that. Thanks for bring that up I am sorry my answer was your misfortune.

/ Fuel tank leaking #3  
I was looking at my 5020 tank as well and decided i was gonna need top build a better skid plate before i even bought it.. I sure hope it holds up to i get some extra time this winter..crappy deal on your tank and i hope the dealer gets it fixed sooner rather than later for you..

/ Fuel tank leaking #4  
If someone has a chance, please post some pictures to illustrate where the problem area is on the fuel tank. I looked at mine and it was not obvious to me whether or not my model is susceptible to this type of failure. I had a fuel leak on my Kubota around the sending unit that ended up requiring a factory modification kit to better seat the sending unit gasket and maintain constant pressure, so I hope I am not going to have trouble with fuel leaks on this one since a leak on the bottom of the tank is a much bigger deal. Hopefully the dealers and LS will take care of this if it is a widespread problem.

/ Fuel tank leaking
I called the dealer and he is ordering a new tank. No word as yet on how long that is going to take to get one. I too am looking at what I need to do to make a stand alone skid plate that doesnt attach in any way to the fuel tank. Kind of stupid to put a metal plate under the tank for puncture protection and then bolt it into some flimsy bolt holes molded into the plastic tank. For you guys wondering where to look for this issue, just look at the front end of your fuel tank. If you see some bolts protruding from underneath the tank holding on a thin gauge metal plate, then you have the same issue. I think I saw something on this issue in the Montana forum several months ago where one guy had elected to build himself a metal tank after so many broken tanks.

/ Fuel tank leaking #6  
If you see some bolts protruding from underneath the tank holding on a thin gauge metal plate, then you have the same issue. I think I saw something on this issue in the Montana forum several months ago where one guy had elected to build himself a metal tank after so many broken tanks.

Yep, I think it was on a Montana 5740; site search should bring it up. These are specific to the 5740 but it's probably the same tank as yours...

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/montana/106556-leaking-gas-tank.html

Possible steel tank replacement?
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/montana/147907-another-diesel-leak-my-5740s.html

/ Fuel tank leaking #7  
   / Fuel tank leaking
I got a couple of photos of the tank on my tractor for those curious as to whether it affects their tank. NOTE the small steel plate on the bottom which is the primary cause of all the cracks and leaks.

Attachments

• 118.jpg
    118.jpg
    842.7 KB · Views: 4,174
  • 119.jpg
    119.jpg
    829.9 KB · Views: 1,025
   / Fuel tank leaking #9  
My tank is a little different but the same screws. I can see if hitting the plate on something could stress were they are attached.

Attachments

• image-889551058.jpg
    image-889551058.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 443
  • image-1197777640.png
    image-1197777640.png
    829.8 KB · Views: 454
   / Fuel tank leaking #10  
LG- LS have had issues with tanks mounted under the hoods since 1999. Seems now, the tanks mounted under the cabs have similar issues. Tanks mounted behind the operator on compacts last alot longer. Hope the company-dealer will help you out.