Opinions on engine heaters

/ Opinions on engine heaters #1  

dodger454

Tractor
LS G3033 w/FEL Backhoe
Well a couple days ago it was around 10 deg F and I wanted to plow the driveway.The tractor(G3033) started and ran very rough for about 5 mins,also the oil pressure lite stayed on for about 20 sec's on start up.So I'm thinkin some type of heater is needed,but which type?? magnetic?glue on?dipstick?or the one where you take out a freeze plug?The oil pan has a hump,(front driveshaft thru the middle)so what do you guys think?I don't want to spend alot or have to reinvent the wheel.:confused:

/ Opinions on engine heaters #2  
i have used an electric space heater on my compact tractor for the past 3 years. i set it next to the side of the engine where a block heater would screw into about 6 inches away and wait for about 2 hours and ready to go. it starts like it was just shut off on a summer day. no sputtering no smoke. the whole engine block, radiator area, oil, filter all warm. no modifications to tractor and electric heater only cost me around $20. i live in north central pa. 15 miles from ny line. i tried an magnectic block heater from tractor supply. JUNK. it didnot heat the oil pan good and after i had it about a week, it tripped the breaker and shot sparks the next time i plugged it in. that did it for me took it back and got my money back.

Last edited:
   / Opinions on engine heaters #3  
winters are usually long and cold where i live so i needed a dedicated heater..My dealer recommended a 300 watt inline coolant heater for my tractor.( all you do is cut the lower coolant line and insert heater);. It works but nowhere near as fast as my 1500 watt canister style in line heater that i had for my old ford tractor..I belive this heater came from a road tractor trailer...wish i kept it when i sold my old tractor:mad:

/ Opinions on engine heaters #4  
namesray said:
i have used an electric space heater on my compact tractor for the past 3 years. i set it next to the side of the engine where a block heater would screw into about 6 inches away and wait for about 2 hours and ready to go. it starts like it was just shut off on a summer day. no sputtering no smoke. the whole engine block, radiator area, oil, filter all warm. no modifications to tractor and electric heater only cost me around $20. i live in north central pa. 15 miles from ny line. i tried an magnectic block heater from tractor supply. JUNK. it didnot heat the oil pan good and after i had it about a week, it tripped the breaker and shot sparks the next time i plugged it in. that did it for me took it back and got my money back.

Are you inside or outside when you use the space heater,

/ Opinions on engine heaters #5  
Dodger, Search for block heater / magnetic heater. You'll have enough opinions to last untill warm weather comes back. :laughing: welcome aboard. MikeD74t

/ Opinions on engine heaters #6  
Are you inside or outside when you use the space heater,

i am inside an unheated steel pole shed. have never personally tried it outside, but by looking at your picture with your name i assumed yours was parked in an unheated garage. i think being outside would take away some of the efficiency of the electric space heater, especially if windy. i don't think a magnectic block heater would do much better in your situation because of the drive shaft splitting the oil pan= not enough area to transfer heat. my second choice would be a lower radiator heater. i have also heard of people using light bulbs to heat engines to aid in starting. just thought the space heater idea might be a quick, simple way to go about it. i will have to try it outside one time. i think tractor supply sells lower radiator heaters and should be around $30 if i remember right. don't know what oil you are using, but sometimes too thick weight of oil can cause cold starting problems.

/ Opinions on engine heaters #7  
I put a block heater (remove freeze plug type) on my JD2305 last year and it has made all the difference in the world. I remember my Dad putting a 100W lightbulb under an old horse blanket next to the engine on his Farmall 200 overnight when he knew he was going to need it on sub-zero mornings. That was inside an unheated shed next to the cow barn.

/ Opinions on engine heaters #8  
You can get them pretty much anywere. Best ones to get are the ones that are inserted in the frost plug holes. I dont like the inline ones and the magnetic ones are junk. I had one of the mag ones on my truck in a pinch once and it caught fire and almost burnt my truck to the ground. I will never use one of them again. If you use an oil pan heater, i installed a silicon on one into my truck and it works really good.

/ Opinions on engine heaters #9  
i just put an inline radiator hose one from tractor suppply on mine. easy install on the lower radiator hose. starts fine after being pluged in for 20min.

/ Opinions on engine heaters #10  
In line radiator hose works great here too. I like that I can tell if it's working just by feeling the hose. A block heater is pretty fail safe but when they go out you don't know until you to try to start it and its still cold.

Also, while I have block heaters on my trucks I like not having to punch out a freeze plug on my tractor.