4020 and 4047 owners

/ 4020 and 4047 owners #1  

Guesseral

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana R4944, Ford Jubilee, Ford 621, Ford 841
Ok I want to get a box blade for my tractor, and I was wondering if any of the 4020 or the 4047 owners had a box blade and what size it was.

I was looking to get a HD 6' unit but I was told 6' was to big and I should get a 5'. I just disagree with this because I really don't think that a 6' unit would be to big for the tractor and the tires out to out are over 5' wide. So lets see what all the other owners out there have to say.

/ 4020 and 4047 owners #2  
5 foot? No way! 6 foot for sure. It will cover your tracks, give you more loader counter balance, and the tractor's got plenty of "ooomph" to handle it... will match your bucket width also. We've sold a bunch of them all with 6' and everybody loves them..and most of those were the lower hp 4041/4010 models.

/ 4020 and 4047 owners
5 foot? No way! 6 foot for sure. It will cover your tracks, give you more loader counter balance, and the tractor's got plenty of "ooomph" to handle it... will match your bucket width also. We've sold a bunch of them all with 6' and everybody loves them..and most of those were the lower hp 4041/4010 models.

Well thank you for the response. That's what I figured anyways but it never herts to check.

/ 4020 and 4047 owners #4  
Go 6', it won't be a problem at all. Make sure the HD boxblade is really HD. I bought a cheaper HD 6' boxblade and it has not been holding up well. Time for me to spend some time beefing it up :)
I'd hate to see what I'd have done to a smaller 5' boxblade by now. HAHA

/ 4020 and 4047 owners #5  
I have a HD 6 foot for my 4047.

/ 4020 and 4047 owners
Well I got the 6 footer wasn't as much as I had figured either. I don't see any problem pulling it, although all I have done with it was work on the road and the road is really really hard packed I had to go over it several times to get it loose enough to work with, I really think it would work a lot better after a soaking rain when the ground isn't so darn hard! Its a Lowery manufacturing unit a guy sells them on craigs list it only weighs 460 lbs and I wanted it closer to 500 but I can live with it. The one at tsc that was 500 lbs was $224 more that is $5.60 a pound, oh yea plus tax at tsc, for that I can weld on a lot of weight if I need it!

/ 4020 and 4047 owners #7  
Well I got the 6 footer wasn't as much as I had figured either. I don't see any problem pulling it, although all I have done with it was work on the road and the road is really really hard packed I had to go over it several times to get it loose enough to work with, I really think it would work a lot better after a soaking rain when the ground isn't so darn hard! Its a Lowery manufacturing unit a guy sells them on craigs list it only weighs 460 lbs and I wanted it closer to 500 but I can live with it. The one at tsc that was 500 lbs was $224 more that is $5.60 a pound, oh yea plus tax at tsc, for that I can weld on a lot of weight if I need it!

You know we want to see pictures, right? :thumbsup:

The boxblade I bought was lightweight too. It does the trick most of the time but I have bent it up in a few places. I'll need to find some time to fix it and brace it with more gussets and ribs.

/ 4020 and 4047 owners
Ok I guess I'll have to take pictures.

Now that I have it all I can do is think of what to do to make it better. I am kicking around making a bar with hydraulic cylinders so I can lift and lower the scarfers as needed man would that be sweat! I just wish I had as much energy as I have ideas.

I really don't think you could call this one lightweight it's pretty stout, they made another one they called wightweight which was. I looked at them on the web site the MT or heavy duty one only seemed to have a heavier top link connection. Mine still has the 2 1/4 x 3/4 scarfers and the 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 top bar. If I bend it I would be supprised. But I do get supprised sometimes.

/ 4020 and 4047 owners #9  
Ok I guess I'll have to take pictures.

Now that I have it all I can do is think of what to do to make it better. I am kicking around making a bar with hydraulic cylinders so I can lift and lower the scarfers as needed man would that be sweat! I just wish I had as much energy as I have ideas.

I really don't think you could call this one lightweight it's pretty stout, they made another one they called wightweight which was. I looked at them on the web site the MT or heavy duty one only seemed to have a heavier top link connection. Mine still has the 2 1/4 x 3/4 scarfers and the 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 top bar. If I bend it I would be supprised. But I do get supprised sometimes.

I didn't consider mine lightweight either and for the most part it has held up. I have the same scarifiers but have bent them all. The main bar is still fine. I have bent out the corner on one side. It is still usable but I just don't see it as solid as I'd hoped. My property is clearcut though so it is pretty rough and I keep finding stumps. After one day on the tractor where I bent up all the scarifiers I've learned a bit how unmoving a stump can be against seemingly solid steel. I pulled all the scarifiers out and go a good bit slower now.

/ 4020 and 4047 owners
Gee after that all I can think of is what my father used to say when I was younger and we were farming. "you do realize that that tractor isn't a bulldozer right" **** I miss him he always seemed to have something smart *** to say!