3-Point Hitch LS 7010

/ LS 7010 #1  

lontex

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS 7030c
Having trouble with My Brush hog. Keeps shoving the Spline onto the Tractor PTO Shaft. never had this trouble with this Brush hog with A New Holland Tractor I owned. any Ideas?. 3 times this has happened and its a bear trying to get the Shaft free it goes way beyond the locking pin. I wonder if the LS 7010 has any thing to do with it.

/ LS 7010 #2  
Hey lontex,

Saw your post and Gary's reply in the "5020 PTO" thread. I'm pretty much a greenhorn when it comes to tractors so take the following for what it's worth.

If you are sure there is plenty of clearance on the PTO shaft length when you shorten the top link all the way, then the only thing I can think of would be the terrain you are hogging. Maybe there are some dramatic elevation changes that jam the PTO coupler onto the shaft. I'm thinking of something like the dam on a pond -- that's where I tend to bind mine up. I guess another option could be the PTO splines or locking pin is messed up/worn out. Let us know what the problem was when you figure it out.

/ LS 7010
Lil' Blue. there might be something in what you say about rough terrain. I disced 40 acres planted Bermuda. the 4 dayes later very big down pour. washed a great deal of the seed away and the rain made BIG gulley's, I waited some time and the only thing that seamed to grow was the weeds. went out and disced and the rough ground beat me to death, thats when I started to get the Shaft problems, I said I had repaired the shaft 3 times but it was 2 times. I have been told to wait till fall when most of the seed is stronger and disc again. that should help level out the rough spots. so thats where I am at present. take care.

/ LS 7010
Fixed my drive line Problem. the LS tractor has a Metric pto shaft and the drive line I was trying to use has a SAE yoke. not a good match. I was out Mowing to-day like I knew what I was doing. lol.

/ LS 7010 #5  
Wow that is odd, I never took that into account. When I got my montana I just started using the same equipment that I was using on my old fords and have never had any problems what so ever. Do you know for a fact that it is metric, I mean did the dealer tell you that it was metric. I really thought that they were all the same, could your old shaft just have been worn and sloppy? This is really interesting at least to me I always like to take in new information!

/ LS 7010
Yes LS Tractors are Metric. I should have known this as 2 weeks ago I lost the 2 thumb bolts on top of my FEL arms one on each side. I tried replaceing them with 2 5/16 bolts but after two or three turns they would tighten up. went to the store and got two metric bolts, I think they were 8mm. any way they fitted great.

/ LS 7010 #7  
I have only used my LS P7010 once for bushhogging but it hooked up perfectly to a standard 540 rpm shaft. I have never heard of a metric v standard PTO shaft. Sure, all the bolts are metric but all the tractors I have encountered have a standard size for 540 pto. 1000 rpm pto have same size shaft but more splines. I think more likely your problem was a worn out connection on your bush hog. I will go measure mine now to verify it.

/ LS 7010 #8  
Yea that is what I had assumed, was that they were a standardized size.

/ LS 7010 #9  
I have only used my LS P7010 once for bushhogging but it hooked up perfectly to a standard 540 rpm shaft. I have never heard of a metric v standard PTO shaft. Sure, all the bolts are metric but all the tractors I have encountered have a standard size for 540 pto. 1000 rpm pto have same size shaft but more splines. I think more likely your problem was a worn out connection on your bush hog. I will go measure mine now to verify it.

/ LS 7010
This is what I got from the drive line people.

Qty.1 NE4 8-6012 Metric yk. $67.10