Dumb Question-Hydraulic Fluid

/ Dumb Question-Hydraulic Fluid #1  

Sherminator

Tractor
none
Ok. Like I said in my first post, I'm a super newbie. LS 4041H for two weeks and I am working the heck out of it. Just turned 23 hours. New grapple bucket and all. Now for the dumb question. How do you check the hydraulic fluid. Is it the dip stick at the rear end or am I missing something. Got the oil down, but I am sure I need some hydraulic fluid because of the grapple and a little shake when turning.

So far this is the cats meow for me. Oh by the way I am clearing 6 acres of land by myself with the always present advise from my wife.

Now for a funny: I was washing the Blue Beast and I asked my neighbor what shouldn't get wet on my tractor. He said "your wife". Guess that sums it up.

Sherminator

/ Dumb Question-Hydraulic Fluid #2  
Your neighbor is pretty quick-witted...Guess that sums it up.

Yes, it's the dip stick "at the rear end". And owner's manual would have that information if you have one. If you don't, you can probably get a PDF of it online (probably for free).

Not sure why you'd be down hydraulic fluid after only 23 hours unless it was filled to "full" before you added attachments, and then you needed more fluid to fill the cylinders in the attachments.

The dip stick is probably marked for "cold", or maybe "hot", but temperature matters.

Also, be aware that a clogged hydraulic strainer can cause "jerkiness" in the movement in your attachments. A damaged hydraulic cylinder could cause a seal to deteriorate and clog the strainer. That happened to me with a new backhoe.

/ Dumb Question-Hydraulic Fluid
Thanks Ted. I checked that "dip stick" while it was cool and the fluid was just touching the bottom of the stick. I'm sure with the grapple cylinder and extra hoses I should be down a gallon or maybe a little less. What you think?

Sherminator

/ Dumb Question-Hydraulic Fluid #4  
Add oil to meet middle of stick markings. The stick should have at minimum two lines, one for low and one for full. I like to keep them in middle of the markings. Dont overfill any oil reservoir on any equipment as it will cause blown seals or at minimum just push it out of the implement at some point.

/ Dumb Question-Hydraulic Fluid #5  
Can anyone tell me where the port is to add hydraulic fluid on a 2001 New Holland TL?

/ Dumb Question-Hydraulic Fluid #6  
Can anyone tell me where the port is to add hydraulic fluid on a 2001 New Holland TL?

You might have better luck posting your question up in the New Holland forum. BUT, as you asked here I decided to look through my pics to if I could show you where it is on some of the LS models. Didn't have a real good shot, but you can see the knob for the hydraulic fluid dipstick through the 3-point linkage in this shot:

hydraulicport.jpg

/ Dumb Question-Hydraulic Fluid #7  
Here's one. I drained my hydro fluid and changed the filter. Do I need towed the lines? I didn't shut any valves to the FEL Like I have heard my buddies do when they drain their hydro fluid?

/ Dumb Question-Hydraulic Fluid #8  
Here's one. I drained my hydro fluid and changed the filter. Do I need towed the lines? I didn't shut any valves to the FEL Like I have heard my buddies do when they drain their hydro fluid?

I'm guessing you meant to bleed the lines, right? I think if you start the tractor, and cycle all of the hydraulic controls (loader and three point), then check fluid level, and top off, you'll be fine.

/ Dumb Question-Hydraulic Fluid #9  
Yes. Dang autocorrect got me. Ok so no damage by cycling that stuff with the air in the lines?

/ Dumb Question-Hydraulic Fluid #10  
I wouldnt run the pump dry. Just make sure all of your bucket and lift cylinders rods are retracted into their housings and the 3 point arms are down. That will get 99% of oil out. Make sure you drain ALL the plugs. There is more than 1.