Just how self-leveling should a self-leveling loader be ?

/ Just how self-leveling should a self-leveling loader be ? #1  

SGTractor

Tractor
LS RIO36 HST + David Brown 880 Selectmatic
Hi again,

I've noticed that the self-leveling loader (mechanical) on the R36 doesn't realy stay level at all.
I believe the triangular liason is poorly designed and will proably end up making a new one.

Question is, is this a design flaw on this perculiar loader or do they all behave the same ?

Down (front wheels are slightly off the ground because the ground isn't flat, on flat ground it's just perfect)
DOWN.jpg

Up, definetly no longer level....
UP.jpg

/ Just how self-leveling should a self-leveling loader be ? #2  
Looks about right to me. I don't see a problem.
The self leveling loaders I have used roll ahead at full height just enough to keep the load from spilling over the back of the bucket onto the operator and machine.

/ Just how self-leveling should a self-leveling loader be ? #3  
I dont know if it is how they all are, but IMO, a self leveling loader should be just that....self leveling. Apparently NOT what you have there. My ford 5500 TLB is the same way. It is "supposed" to be self leveling, but is not.

I believe what you need to do to correct is make it so the pins are ALL evenly spaced ALL four ways. (The 4 pins I circled.)

loader.jpg

If you measure the loader arm itself from rear pin to the pin the triangle pivots on......The self leveling arm needs to be the SAME length, And the distance between the two rear pins (loader arm and leveling arm) needs to be the same as the front two.

It looks like it may require shortening the leveling arm.

If the leveling arm is indeed too long, I "think" you could compensate by making the distance between the front pins a tad less than the rears, but that would require playing with some numbers and measurments. But you also have to watch out for curl cylinder clearence. It looks tight there also.

/ Just how self-leveling should a self-leveling loader be ? #4  
To be truly "self-leveling, the linkage would have to form a parallelogram.

It doesn't now. See the red lines below.

Bruce

View attachment 280316

/ Just how self-leveling should a self-leveling loader be ? #5  
To be truly "self-leveling, the linkage would have to form a parallelogram.

It doesn't now. See the red lines below.

Bruce

View attachment 280316

Cool, I hadnt thought to do that. Looking at that view though, it does look like the horizontals are the same lenght. (or at least pretty close. But taht front top pin needs lowered for sure.

/ Just how self-leveling should a self-leveling loader be ? #6  
As it is right now if you had your bucket level flat on the ground. Drove into a pile of material. Rolled bucket back and lifted to full height you would have a full bucket and no spill back on you nor would you have to feather to roll back to prevent spill back.
That is what the self leveling is supposed to do and it appears yours will do it.

You can also push into a pile with it level and lift without rolling back and while you won't get a full bucket you would not spill any out front or back, again, what it is supposed to do.

Am I seeing this wrong?

/ Just how self-leveling should a self-leveling loader be ? #7  
I guess that may work ok when using a bucket. But, what if you have a set of forks on there??

/ Just how self-leveling should a self-leveling loader be ? #8  
HarryN said:
I guess that may work ok when using a bucket. But, what if you have a set of forks on there??

Ain't a forklift, made to scoop and load with a bucket.
Forks you have to feather roll back some but not as bad as non self level.

/ Just how self-leveling should a self-leveling loader be ?
Ok so from what I'm getting the beast looks normal to you all...
I was a bit concerned it was mis-behaving because I do want to put pallet forks to move stuff around.
I suppose I'll go with the "if it aint broke don't fix it...."

/ Just how self-leveling should a self-leveling loader be ? #10  
On self leveling loaders, the bucket rolls down slightly as the loader is being raised to help prevent the load from spilling over the back of the bucket at full height.
The loader in the picture looks like it is working as it should to me.
I sure wouldn't want a bucket that went level as soon as it was lifted and stayed there. All the material would be falling out of the bucket, making it useless as a loader.