Thinking about a LS G3038, have some questions

/ Thinking about a LS G3038, have some questions #1  

Vestry Farmer

Tractor
John Deere 5525
Hello,
I am new to this forum and was hoping to learn a little bit about the LS g3038. I am looking to replace an old Massey Ferguson 35 gasoline tractor and the LS g3038 seems like a good option. I am looking at the two wheel drive option with out the front end loader or back hoe. I'm planing on using the tractor mainly for Bush hogging and running an old pan plow. One of my main questions is: (and I thought I would ask the guys actually using this tractor rather than the dealer) does this tractor have a governor? When I am running the Bush Hog or breaking with my old Massey, if I hit a think patch of grass or the like, the tractor seems to give a little extra gas to pull through. I was talking to my uncle about this the other day and he mentioned that his MF 240 did the same thing but his Kabota does not. Any insight would be appreciated. Also I would love to hear any G3038 user specific reviews!
Thanks,
Chris

/ Thinking about a LS G3038, have some questions #2  
I am looking at the two wheel drive option with out the front end loader or back hoe.

Hello Chris and welcome to the TBN LS forum. I don't have a G3038 so I can't go into any detail, but I believe 4WD is the only option. While 2WD hogging is what I do most of the time with my S3010, the 4WD is real nice to have if you get into mud or whatever. I'd also look into how much you really are going to save by buying one without a loader as LS often seems to practically throw them in with the deal.

/ Thinking about a LS G3038, have some questions
Hey Lil Blue,
Thanks for the welcome. They do indeed make the g3038 in 2wd I saw it the other day at the dealer. This is basically going to be a third tractor and as I have A John Deere with a FEL and 4wd, I can use it for things that require a FEL or for pulling this tractor out if it gets stuck. Sure it would be convent to have 4wd and the FEL, but not having them saves me about $3,000. I just need a smaller tractor that I can bush hog in the woods with and is strong enough to pull an old breaking plow when I need to break patches of cogon grass in the field. I would just keep using the Massey as its a great old tractor, but its getting pretty torn up, so I'm think it might me time to leave the finishing mower on it and let that be the extent of its duties.

/ Thinking about a LS G3038, have some questions #4  
Hey Lil Blue,
Thanks for the welcome. They do indeed make the g3038 in 2wd I saw it the other day at the dealer. This is basically going to be a third tractor and as I have A John Deere with a FEL and 4wd, I can use it for things that require a FEL or for pulling this tractor out if it gets stuck. Sure it would be convent to have 4wd and the FEL, but not having them saves me about $3,000. I just need a smaller tractor that I can bush hog in the woods with and is strong enough to pull an old breaking plow when I need to break patches of cogon grass in the field. I would just keep using the Massey as its a great old tractor, but its getting pretty torn up, so I'm think it might me time to leave the finishing mower on it and let that be the extent of its duties.

Certainly not the first time I've been wrong! ;-) BUT I did look before leaping:

G_series_Literature.jpg

I guess that just goes to show ya can't trust the LS Tractor USA web site. But I've complained about that many times before so I won't go into it again here.

Sounds like you have thought it all out and $3000 ain't chump change by any means. Also, I know how tight it can get in the woods with the FEL on and have sometimes taken it off for that very reason. You should try to get them to throw in a front bumper if it doesn't come with one, even though you may spend a lot of time pushing your cutter into stuff in reverse in the woods. At least that's how I end up doing it as most everything in there is way too tall to run over with the tractor the first time I cut it.

Well good luck with whatever you end up with.

/ Thinking about a LS G3038, have some questions #5  
yep, they surely do make the two wheel drive tractors. I saw them at my dealer last week. They don't have a loader, have ag tires on the rear, and the rib type on the front. Quite a bit less money, as well.

/ Thinking about a LS G3038, have some questions #6  
I sure would like to see pictures of the 2WD model.. LS website does suck indeed...

/ Thinking about a LS G3038, have some questions #7  
boomer632 said:
I sure would like to see pictures of the 2WD model.. LS website does suck indeed...

I agree. They don't seem to update anything. It does look like those 2WD tractors would be perfect for general farm use. If memory serves me correctly, i believe my dealer sells them for $12,995.
Randy

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Thinking about a LS G3038, have some questions #8  
My local dealer has had one a couple months. I can't remember what he told me the price was.

/ Thinking about a LS G3038, have some questions #9  
I am one of those old school previous farm boys who thought 4 WD was for mud hogging in a pickup truck till I went up to northern Canada and got used to using 4 WD in icy conditions. Kinda same with the tractors, we never had 4 WD on the farm, just big old dual wheels for traction. Now that I have used a couple of tractors with 4 wd, I wouldnt buy one without it. You wont believe how much more a tractor will pull in 4 WD compared to just 2WD. Tire slippage cost you money in fuel. If you do any ground breaking with the tractor, you will be surprised at how much more efficient the 4 wd is. Just like the 4 WD in my truck, it is there if I need it, but if not, then just leave it in 2 wd. $3000 difference sounds like a lot but even it that is the case, it will save you more than that in the life of the tractor in less wear on the rear tires due to slippage and less fuel used for the same reason. One other thing that is of value is the much stronger front axle with the 4WD.

/ Thinking about a LS G3038, have some questions #10  
Four wheel drive is also good when going up and down hills.