NEW GRAPPLE PHOTOS

/ NEW GRAPPLE PHOTOS #41  
I do appreciate that using Surplus Supply fittings can significantly drop the cost but i doubt it is as cheap as twenty or thirty bucks for an extra couple lengths of hose.

Diverters clearly work, I have one, but they don't increase speed or accuracy. In fact when I am working quickly with my joystick mounted diverter switch is exactly when I have problems i never experienced with the rear remote setup. As open/close and dump/curl are the exact same joystick motion plus or minus depressing the thumb switch to activate the diverter, I do occasionally get out of sync when working quickly and either not press the diverter switch fast enough, or, I keep my thumb on the switch a little too long. In either case it disrupts work by dumping or opening the grapple inadvertently. Never happens with rear remotes as your hand is removed from the joystick while opening or closing the grapple. Would also be less likely with a true third function switch operated by an always active toggle. Not a huge deal, but something that happens enough to be annoying. There are also electric wires that need to be carefully routed to the joystick (need to protect from brush etc) and the diverter valve needs to be attached somewhere safe. Mine is mounted on top of the FEL arm which is safe enough but butt ugly. Bottom line for me is that the diverter added complexity without providing any significant benefit.

Your opinion about all things grapple carries a lot of weight with me, but I have to disagree with you here. I find the diverter VERY helpful when doing detailed work like snatching a fallen tree or log, uprooting brush, etc.... I often find I need to do very small dump/curl adjustments at the same time as I'm operating the grapple. I agree with you if most of what one does is push into piles of debris and the clamp down on stuff. And yeah, there is always the potential risk of an out-of-sync button operation (and I too have had that happen on many occasions), but it's really not that big of a deal for me. It is true that the lever for my rear remote is NOT in a real convenient spot -- under the seat.

/ NEW GRAPPLE PHOTOS #42  
Your opinion about all things grapple carries a lot of weight with me, but I have to disagree with you here. I find the diverter VERY helpful when doing detailed work like snatching a fallen tree or log, uprooting brush, etc.... I often find I need to do very small dump/curl adjustments at the same time as I'm operating the grapple. I agree with you if most of what one does is push into piles of debris and the clamp down on stuff. And yeah, there is always the potential risk of an out-of-sync button operation (and I too have had that happen on many occasions), but it's really not that big of a deal for me. It is true that the lever for my rear remote is NOT in a real convenient spot -- under the seat.

I certainly agree that if the rear remote control lever is inconvenient then a diverter or third function valve is necessary. Both of my tractors have had the rear remote lever just about where a 4 on the floor gear shift lever would be in a car so it quickly becomes second nature to reach for it.

My work digging up small stumps with the grapple usually doesn't involve closing the grapple until the very end so I just haven't found it necessary to make small frequent adjustments. I just leave it open and use the combo of lift/curl and push to uproot stumps. Bigger ones wait until I have the backhoe mounted.

I don't mean to say that diverters don't work, after all I use one, but I still think that if I were to do it again I'd just start with the rear remote and see how it goes. And, if I found that lacking for whatever reason, I'd probably spend a few more bucks and get a true third function valve. Obviously the diverter I have is fine as I haven't bother to change it but it is for me still one of the lower bang for the buck expenditures. I'd feel very different if my rear remote was in an awkward location.

/ NEW GRAPPLE PHOTOS #43  
I'm all about using the assets available. Also all about doing it cheap. So that might justify using rear remotes to run a Grapple. But I'd sure hate to go there. I have kubota's 3rd function kit on my loader. Adds two push buttons on the joystick handle which run a third hydraulic circuit. I would assume it works very similar to a diverter circuit. To get a tight grip with the grapple I have to stop joystick action on the lift or curl circuit for just a second. But generally I can curl or lift and clamp at the same time. All actions done without moving my hand. I don't think I'd be happy at all moving my hand between the joystick handle and the rear remote handle. My rear remote handles are very conveniently located.

Several years ago I saw a thread on here where the OP added a diverter valve and ran it with his left foot on a push button. His tractor was right foot Hydro controlled of course. So when he curled and clamped he simply moved the joystick into the curl position and briefly tapped the floor button with his foot. Seemed to work okay.

/ NEW GRAPPLE PHOTOS #44  
I would want at least a divertor to run a grapple but I prefer a 3rd function. I can keep one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the loader joystick and I have the ability to run all 3 functions at once.

/ NEW GRAPPLE PHOTOS #45  
I would want at least a divertor to run a grapple but I prefer a 3rd function. I can keep one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the loader joystick and I have the ability to run all 3 functions at once.

Have you ever tried using a rear remote to control a grapple? I think the benefit of operating "all three functions at once" is over rated as that circumstance just doesn't come up often. Diverters don't allow use of three functions at the same time anyway. Reaching for the rear remote lever, so long as it is conveniently positioned, is simply no different than reaching for the shifter on a manual transmission car. Muscle memory develops quickly. Besides the unnecessary added expense, my practical beef with the diverter is that I find myself making more errors with early or late pushing of the diverter button than I ever made reaching for the remote lever.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of being happy with their diverter, just pointing out that the low tech and cheap rear remote solution is a perfectly viable alternative (assuming the remote lever is conveniently located) and that most of us who tried using the remote actually are 1) happy with it, and 2) have about $500 extra to buy implements etc.

/ NEW GRAPPLE PHOTOS #46  
Have you ever tried using a rear remote to control a grapple? I think the benefit of operating "all three functions at once" is over rated as that circumstance just doesn't come up often. Diverters don't allow use of three functions at the same time anyway. Reaching for the rear remote lever, so long as it is conveniently positioned, is simply no different than reaching for the shifter on a manual transmission car. Muscle memory develops quickly. Besides the unnecessary added expense, my practical beef with the diverter is that I find myself making more errors with early or late pushing of the diverter button than I ever made reaching for the remote lever.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of being happy with their diverter, just pointing out that the low tech and cheap rear remote solution is a perfectly viable alternative (assuming the remote lever is conveniently located) and that most of us who tried using the remote actually are 1) happy with it, and 2) have about $500 extra to buy implements etc.

No have I have never tried using a remote to run the grapple. I never said a diverter would allow use of all 3 functions, I know you can only run 2. My luck the function I would loose with a divertor would be the one I need to run while I opening or closing the grapple. If you had a 3rd function you would not have to worrry about pushing the button early or late. I don't think a remote would be as good of a way to run a grapple because your hand has to the leave the joystick.

/ NEW GRAPPLE PHOTOS #47  
Island, something that you need to keep in mind is that just because the Kioti"s have reasonably priced rear remotes and some in fact come std with 1 does not mean that everyone else's options are the same. I have just recently had customers tell me that their tractors rear remote options were $1000-$1200 for each additional OEM remote. :eek: These were for a TC model New Holland and a 30 series Kubota that are now discontinued models. ;)

/ NEW GRAPPLE PHOTOS #48  
Island, something that you need to keep in mind is that just because the Kioti"s have reasonably priced rear remotes and some in fact come std with 1 does not mean that everyone else's options are the same. I have just recently had customers tell me that their tractors rear remote options were $1000-$1200 for each additional OEM remote. :eek: These were for a TC model New Holland and a 30 series Kubota that are now discontinued models. ;)

Good point. However, assuming that someone recognizes the utility of having (and budgeting for) at least one set of rear remotes, it makes sense to consider using them for as many purposes as practical. I cannot imagine having a $15-25K invested in a tractor and not be able to utilize the hydraulics for more than just 3PT and FEL.

/ NEW GRAPPLE PHOTOS #49  
Good point. However, assuming that someone recognizes the utility of having (and budgeting for) at least one set of rear remotes, it makes sense to consider using them for as many purposes as practical. I cannot imagine having a $15-25K invested in a tractor and not be able to utilize the hydraulics for more than just 3PT and FEL.

Well, I sure agree with that. :thumbsup: That's why I have 4 additional remotes on both of my Mahindra's and need to add 1 more to each one of them. No reason to limit yourself if you don't have to. ;)

/ NEW GRAPPLE PHOTOS #50  
My tractor came standard with one rear remote with an option for a second one, which I purchased. With top 'n tilt installed and a quick hitch, both cylinders are in use. When it comes time for a grapple, I will have to add a diverter or a true third function valve, no alternative. I think I would want the true third function for front-mounted attachments even if it is more money. If I ever get any rear mounted or towed implement with haydraulic cylinders, I will also need a diverter with connectors for each additional circuit. I'm currently considering getting an adapter made for a hydraulic cylinder to control my rollover box scraper, since reaching the lever would be difficult from the cab especially with the quick hitch.