buying LS, smart or not

/ buying LS, smart or not #21  
My Montana is an LS tractor 2 1/2 years 250 hours one oils seal leak is all I've had early on. Love the tractor, my dealer has been selling tractors for years from Long all the way to the LS now, great people good service. Napa crossed my filters and that is all that I have needed well I guess I did have to get the rear tire fixed a tree branch cought the valve stem and ripped it off, but that would have been my fault. Many happy owners here on TBN, there are our share of concerns but no where neer as many as others but then again there aren't as many LS tractors out there. LS is a growing company the same as Kubota was what 15, 20 years ago, LS also has the backing of a parent company LG and they are a multi-billion company in S Korea.
Buying a tractor is just like anything else, companies have good ones and sometimes a bad one. Everyone thinks the color of tractor they have is the best, but if they had bought a different color than what they have then that color would be the best it just tractor nature!
As has been said previously look at as many as you can, sit on them, drive them if possible, buy what you like the best if price is a determining factor so be it, but it shouldn't be the only factor. I really don't in MHO think there really is a bad tractor (for the most part) out there these days, there is just to much competition to make sub standard tractors.

/ buying LS, smart or not #22  
My local Kubota dealer sold LS for about a year, and has stopped carrying them. They looked like well made tractors, but if I had dropped serious money on one, and my dealer got out of them in a year, I'd be concerned and upset.

So long as the guy (ex-LS dealer) is willing to order LS parts for me I wouldn't be too concerned. I am curious as why he dropped the LS line, but not too sure you would get an honest answer from him if you asked. It could be the LS units just weren't selling, but it could also be that Kubota was none to happy about the competition of two brands at the same dealership. Then again it could be something completely different. I have argued in the "Buying/Pricing/Comparisons" forum that a dealer shouldn't stock and sell a brand they don't believe in because that's unfair to people looking for an unbiased opinion across brands.

On a totally unrelated note, I drive by a bunch of Kubota dealers in my travels around the Houston area and am amazed by the number of tractors they have on their lots. Never counted, but looks like 40-50 or more units. I always wonder if they really move that much inventory or just have huge selection on hand. I see tons of older looking (sun faded?) Kubotas in use, but really can't remember noticing any bright shiny new ones. I bought my LS in 2009 and figure it'll be with me till they sell off my estate -- hopefully many years from now.... :laughing:

Last edited:
   / buying LS, smart or not
Thank you all very much. If there was only one more LS dealership around I would feel more confident in owning one. Not sure what to do

/ buying LS, smart or not #25  
buying LS, smart or not....I would say NOT. With that said, I do not own an LS or did I even consider buying one. The dealership will be EVERYTHING on an LS. No dealer, no service, no warranty, no deal.

I really get amused with people who offer their opinion when they do not own an LS. I also remember when Kubota was introduced in the USA, and most people felt the same way about them as you are saying about LS and look what a good product they make and service. By the way, I love my G3038H, does the job, solid, and does have a 5 year warranty. My dealer has been there for anything I need. I would by another LS anytime..

/ buying LS, smart or not #26  
To the OP, you should call or email LS and see if there is another dealer closer there web site doesn't always show all of the dealers there might be one tucked in some corner somewhere never hurts to ask.

/ buying LS, smart or not #27  
I really get amused with people who offer their opinion when they do not own an LS. I also remember when Kubota was introduced in the USA, and most people felt the same way about them as you are saying about LS and look what a good product they make and service. By the way, I love my G3038H, does the job, solid, and does have a 5 year warranty. My dealer has been there for anything I need. I would by another LS anytime..
I don't own a Yugo either and I'm pretty certain I could offer a pretty accurate opinion on one of the worst cars ever made. Now that being said I did NOT say LS was a bad tractor, just that the dealer will be everything on an "off brand" and currently (like it or not) the LS is an "off brand", or less popular brand if that makes you feel better. Typically parts, repair and warranty services are harder to come by on less popular brands and this makes having a good dealer all the more important. I am happy to have amused you.

/ buying LS, smart or not #29  
I don't own a Yugo either and I'm pretty certain I could offer a pretty accurate opinion on one of the worst cars ever made. Now that being said I did NOT say LS was a bad tractor, just that the dealer will be everything on an "off brand" and currently (like it or not) the LS is an "off brand", or less popular brand if that makes you feel better. Typically parts, repair and warranty services are harder to come by on less popular brands and this makes having a good dealer all the more important. I am happy to have amused you.

Have to agree with you on the Yugo Bob, and although it would beat walking, I wouldn't want one myself.. And obviously the LS is a less popular brand having been recently introduced as a stand alone brand, even though they were rebadged and sold originally for some other brands. I'm just saying, that you should remember that Kubota which makes a great product also, was also looked down on when they were first introduced in the USA with the same concerns mentioned, and now look how successful they are. LS seems to have a good distribution network in the US, and The list of dealers is showing positive growth. Also the adoption of the product has been steadily increasing. That weighed heavily in my decision to purchase an LS, and I am glad I did. It does the job and so far has been reliable. Service from my dealer has been good and I would not hesitate to buy another.

/ buying LS, smart or not #30  
Have to agree with you on the Yugo Bob, and although it would beat walking, I wouldn't want one myself.. And obviously the LS is a less popular brand having been recently introduced as a stand alone brand, even though they were rebadged and sold originally for some other brands. I'm just saying, that you should remember that Kubota which makes a great product also, was also looked down on when they were first introduced in the USA with the same concerns mentioned, and now look how successful they are. LS seems to have a good distribution network in the US, and The list of dealers is showing positive growth. Also the adoption of the product has been steadily increasing. That weighed heavily in my decision to purchase an LS, and I am glad I did. It does the job and so far has been reliable. Service from my dealer has been good and I would not hesitate to buy another.

A man walked into an auto parts store and said "I would like to get a rear view mirror for my Yugo" The clerk thought about it for a minute and said "I guess that would be a fair trade"