Helping My Buddy

/ Helping My Buddy #1  

rwork

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100 LS R3039H
I got the chance to work my little R3039H on some big land today. Hauled my tractor nearly two hours to help my buddy pile and burn some big brush piles.
He has a 75 acre field that had grown up over the years, so he leased it to peanut farmers, who came in, cleared the land, pushing the trees and brush out to the edge of the field. The piles have been there two years, so brush and small trees had taken over these huge piles. Working with his John Deere and bucket, and my Little Blue and grapple. We pushed up and burned five big piles.
All in all we got a lot done, and had fun working the tractors.

Attachments

• 2012-11-07 14.29.58.jpg
    2012-11-07 14.29.58.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 239
   / Helping My Buddy #3  
Nice job. I respect you for helping your Friend. It is beneficial for all concerned when Neighbors and Friends help each other. One never knows when you may need help yourself. This is the way I was brought up, and I continue this practice today. My neighbors and I never exchange money or keep records. We always try our best to help each other. When our Son was in the hospital around two years ago, I stayed with him 24 hours every day for 11 days. My Wife called me at the hospital and told me that a neighbor of ours came over twice a day to take care of things. My Wife gave him some of her home made brownies. He couldn't resist them. The recipe was her Grand Mother's.

/ Helping My Buddy #4  
You guys did very good. My brother in law were facing the same thing, 1/4 mile of brush and trees and lots of dirt that a dozer had cleared out and pushed up cleaning out the proper fence line on or property. We had tried pushing it with my LS and even using a chain to pull out some bigger trees and had some luck but it was filled with barbed wire, old TEE post and tin/nails from a building that was also pushed up and a FEW SNAKES. We ended up getting a dozer to roll everything over removing a lot of the dirt that the other dozer had gathered with the trees and spreading it out. I figured that a couple hours of dozer time was much cheaper than a couple of ruined tires. My part was 330 feet in length and took about half hour for the dozer to roll it out getting all the dirt out and repile into one pile. It took a couple hours to do the rest at $85 per hour so not a killer on price but we didnt get the fun of doing it with our tractors.

/ Helping My Buddy #5  
Hi,
I also have some scrub brush I need to clear out on my place. I can't really afford a grapple right now, but has anybody used that ratchet rake attachment and if so is it any good at doing some cleanup work pulling out brush etc?
Thanks,

/ Helping My Buddy
Hi,
I also have some scrub brush I need to clear out on my place. I can't really afford a grapple right now, but has anybody used that ratchet rake attachment and if so is it any good at doing some cleanup work pulling out brush etc?
Thanks,
I've got both the Ratchet Rake, and a grapple, and I find unique uses for both. The RR will do a good job of removing smaller brush and weeds. I use mine now to rake out heavy leaf debris, and some leveling for seed beds. It won't uproot the large brush and smaller trees like the grapple will, but for around $300 bucks, I say it's worth every penny!

Randy

/ Helping My Buddy #7  
I would think that anything the RR would pull out, you could just run a bush hog over it as far as bushes and saplings go. Removing vines and other creeper sounds like a good RR job. Of course you would still have the stubble sticking up to contend with. I used the bush hog to underbrush all my place since I had no other tools and it worked well. Most of the stubble died and has since rotted but a few like the elm trees and thorn have to be constantly mowed down. Now that I have the backhoe, I have been uprooting all those stubborn regrowth ones as I find them.

/ Helping My Buddy #8  
I would think that anything the RR would pull out, you could just run a bush hog over it as far as bushes and saplings go. Removing vines and other creeper sounds like a good RR job. Of course you would still have the stubble sticking up to contend with. I used the bush hog to underbrush all my place since I had no other tools and it worked well. Most of the stubble died and has since rotted but a few like the elm trees and thorn have to be constantly mowed down. Now that I have the backhoe, I have been uprooting all those stubborn regrowth ones as I find them.

Yep.. Got lots of creeper and viney kind of growth.. Been using the FEL to knock some of it down as much as possible and then hitting it with the shredder.. Been thinking that for some of the bushy stuff that maybe the RR might be an option to grab and drag it out.. So Randy's feedback on the RR has me thinking of adding that to my implement collection.. Thanks for the input guys!!
.Eric

/ Helping My Buddy
Yep.. Got lots of creeper and viney kind of growth.. Been using the FEL to knock some of it down as much as possible and then hitting it with the shredder.. Been thinking that for some of the bushy stuff that maybe the RR might be an option to grab and drag it out.. So Randy's feedback on the RR has me thinking of adding that to my implement collection.. Thanks for the input guys!!

.Eric

After a bit of practice, you will get the knack of using it. I've torn out some pretty heavy brush with my RR, such as youpon, and what I call gallberry brush. After running straight in, and pushing it down, you tip your bucket down, so that the bottom teeth are angled backwards, and it hooks under the roots and stubble, allowing you to rip it out as you back out.
It won't allow you to dig down like a grapple will, but for the money, it's a great tool. Lots of good uses!
Randy

/ Helping My Buddy #10  
After a bit of practice, you will get the knack of using it. I've torn out some pretty heavy brush with my RR, such as youpon, and what I call gallberry brush. After running straight in, and pushing it down, you tip your bucket down, so that the bottom teeth are angled backwards, and it hooks under the roots and stubble, allowing you to rip it out as you back out.
It won't allow you to dig down like a grapple will, but for the money, it's a great tool. Lots of good uses!
Randy

That is great! I have a ton of Youpon and Hackberry.. Sounds like a neat tool to rip some of that out for sure..
.Eric