Oil drain plug/plags?

/ Oil drain plug/plags? #1  

xmariner

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS XR4155HC
Here I am on the eve of the 50 hr. maintenance and am certain I saw two 2 oil drain plugs. Can this be? The manual for my R3039 doesn't state so but the profile illustration on page 5 - 17 has the plug in the same postion relative to the oil filter.

Am I mistaken in thinking that the oil pan is saddle shaped to accomodate the front drive shaft and thereby could have 2 drain plugs?

Of course it could be my perception of the underside of the engine was clouded by the mosquitos wanting a piece of me as laid on back unable to put up a defense.

Mark

/ Oil drain plug/plags? #2  
Hi,
I do not have an R3039, but I do believe I read somewhere here in the forum about that being the case as you suspect.. Anybody else?

/ Oil drain plug/plags?
Thanks for the reply BlackDog - can you imagine that 2 for the price of one. And it's not made in China!

/ Oil drain plug/plags? #5  
Here I am on the eve of the 50 hr. maintenance and am certain I saw two 2 oil drain plugs. Can this be? The manual for my R3039 doesn't state so but the profile illustration on page 5 - 17 has the plug in the same postion relative to the oil filter.

Am I mistaken in thinking that the oil pan is saddle shaped to accomodate the front drive shaft and thereby could have 2 drain plugs?

Of course it could be my perception of the underside of the engine was clouded by the mosquitos wanting a piece of me as laid on back unable to put up a defense.

Mark
Hi, I have a G3033H and yes I have 2 drain plugs for the oil pan ! Yes the driveshaft runs thru the void in the pan , nice , at least you can get all the oil out that way ! Good luck

/ Oil drain plug/plags? #6  
My last 2 Kubota's, and My current Kioti are that way. Yep 2 oil drain plugs

James K0UA

/ Oil drain plug/plags? #7  
I havent seen a 4 wd tractor recently that didnt have two drain plugs due to the drive shaft running thru the oil pan. My little B26 Kubota also has 2 plugs also. Does your tractor have the plug that requires a hexhead "allen" wrench to take them out. IIRC, My P7010 needs a 25 mm to remove them. Had to make a trip to auto parts place to find those big ones, lucky that they had a 3 pack and one of them was the right size. I guess you dont have to worry about rounding off the bolt head when there isnt one. I managed to get one of them out with a pipe wrench but just couldnt get a grip on the other one so had to shut down and go buy the right tool right in the middle of the oil change. Could have just left it in as there was maybe half a quart of almost clear oil was all that came out. I couldnt believe how clean that diesel oil was at 50 hours.

/ Oil drain plug/plags? #8  
OH Yeah, that drain hole is so big (about 1.25") that it overflowed my oil pan it came out so fast. I have one of those closed top ones with a little 3/4 hole in the middle and 1.25" with 2.5 gallons of head pressure flows faster than 3/4 drain with a 2" lip. Luckily I was on a shale and dirt flow to soak up the spilled motor oil and hydraulic oil from the filters that I also dropped.

/ Oil drain plug/plags?
Thanks everyone. This is only my second tractor but my first new one. The previous was an Iseki TU150 FD with a VTEK FEL, it had a Mitsubishi K3C 3 cyl engine - 1 drain plug. I guess with an additional cyclinder you get another plug - cool.

Gary the plugs are "standard" hex head - what size? I don't know but I recently bought a 6 piece Craftsman metric socket set that starts at 22 mm.

Looks as though I'll be heading to AutoZone or Advance Auto for wrench big enough to handle that hydraulic filter.

Which brings up another question - What brand Hyd/Trans fluid should I be using? I'm having a tough time locating oil with the specs that are noted in the manual. API GL 4 - ISO VG 46/48. I've been to TSC, Walmart, Advance Auto, and a local farm supply store (which by the way was the only one to recommend their Premium blend (Coastal I think) as it will not void the warranty).

/ Oil drain plug/plags? #10  
I asked my LS dealer what hydraulic fluid to use and he said any universal hydraulic fluid that is recommended for tractors that share a common reservoir for wet brakes, hydrastatic drive and hydraulics will work. I have been using Atwoods universal hydraulic fluid which (according to the can)meets all the specs for equipment as Kubota UDT. I compared the listing as they are almost identical. I asked the Kubota dealer a few days ago about using it and they said as long as it is out of warranty go for it but dont mix them. I read the Kubota manual last night and they "recommend" the UDT or SUDT but dont say you have to use it. I think that is against the law to require a brand oil, like Kubota or Ford etc. They have to provide a spec to meet, but the Kubota book doesnt give a spec, however the oil can does list specs that it is good for which is just about all brands of tractor fluid ie JD 202 &303, IH Hytran, NH etc. Kubota might use the oil as to deny a claim if something went bad, but the universal oil is pretty much same stuff. Dealer said that Kubota UDT MIGHT have a bit more antifoaming additive but I have not seen any foaming in my LS from using it. I also used it in my Yanmar without any problems . It is about half the price of the UDT, less than $10 per gallon.
I know I keep quoting the Kubota spec but that is because they are the ones that specify a Kubota brand oil and most tractor companies spec an oil meeting certain specifications. I havent compared the TSC Traveller brand of hydraulic oil, but I would bet that it lists all the same specs as the UDT and Atwoods.