Looking to Buy

/ Looking to Buy #1  

mangus580

Gold Member
Tractor
Bolens (Iseki) H1502; LS R3039
Hey guys

I find myself in need of a CUT with FEL. I currently have a little 15hp Bolens (made by Iseki) that I use for mowing, and light duty backblade work. I have been randomly borrowing a friends Kubota L2650 with loader and backhoe. The Kubota is a nice unit, but I have found some things that make me not want one like it. Its a slight bit underpowered, a bit light (non-loaded tires) and have run into issues with the loader lifting what I need (see non-loaded tires).

I happened to be in the local dealer the other day getting a couple fittings for my snowplow, and he had a G3033 in the showroom. On a whim I asked what it goes for, and he said something like $15,900.

While this is a bit out of my price range, I find it hard to justify paying $8,00 or so for a 20 year old Kubota, when I can get a brand new tractor for about double.

What I am struggling with here, is choosing which model. Honestly, I would probably be reasonably happy with the G3033... but during some research today, I called another dealer to verify pricing, and asked about other models. Seems the jump to the G3038 adds $1,000, and the R3039 is another $1,00 yet.

Most of the work I do with it, will really be light duty - clearing snow, cleaning out the cow stall, general yardwork, moving firewood, and mild clearing of some trees and such in the 'back 40'. There is a chance I will possibly want to pull a 2 bottom plow, and/or a disc. I am sure I will use a bush hog on it at some point as well.

I am looking for opinions. I know of some of the differences between the G and R series, but I am looking for some real world input from guys who have them, and/or have looked at both models.

The major difference that I would like (mostly because I feel any 'real' tractor should have them) is the rear remote hydraulics. But things like the fully synchro'd tranny, and the fender mounted loader control would be reallly nice. But I am not sure its worth an extra $2000 over the G3033, granted, if I were to consider jumping to the G3038, its probably a no brainer.

Also, do these prices seem appropriate? I tried to compare against the RCO Tractor site, but John only lists a monthly cost, and also includes implements that I will not be getting from the local dealer. (John, feel free to PM me with some info on pricing if you would like)

I am excited about getting one - just hope I can pull off the financing with my less than stellar credit.....

/ Looking to Buy #2  
The 3033 did not have the gear ratios that I was looking for. I went with the I3040H (old version of 3039). I intially thought I wanted a gear, but they did not have one in stock. After several test drives I went with the Hydro - extremely pleased. The I3040H has three ranges. The smaller sizes had two. I do not think the two range would be adequate for most of what I do. Mostly in the medium range. I think the extra gearing and rear remotes would make the 3039 be worth it.

/ Looking to Buy #3  
i just bought the r 3039h if your going to do a lot of FEL work and snow removal go HST looked at both g and r series the r is the much better value over all

jeff

/ Looking to Buy #4  
I went through pretty much the same thought processes you did for my place and replaced my old Kubota with a G3038HST. It does what I need and have been extremely happy with it. I run a 6' Howse shredder, and a 6' blade with no problems. And the fact that it was brand new as compared to my old 80's model Kubota is extremely handy as with my old tractor I was always having to tinket with it to keep it working..

/ Looking to Buy #5  
I went through the same ordeal.. did not really need the 3039, but wanted the dual remotes and the fully synchronized tranny. I opted for gear mainly because I was raised on gears... and will be using it for mostly bush hog and harrows. Totally satisfied with the R3039.

/ Looking to Buy #6  
I have a G3033 that I purchased 4 mths ago. My tractor was $15400 with fel & loaded R4 tires. I purchased @ Paige Equipment on 104 in Williamson,N.Y. I had dual rear hydraulics installed @ $450 & 6ft hydro plow was $2829. I do the same work that you do with no regrets with this tractor. I did have to add a rubber mat to the deck to keep from wearing the paint & slipping in winter. I had a b7610hsd Kubota & do not miss the hydro drive. I have not regretted getting a 33 hp tractor. Paige has given me fast excellent service. I found getting used to the difference in controls was my biggest problem. I really like the shuttle shift now. If you don't buy soon you should go to Empire Farm Days in August & check show pricing. Ed

/ Looking to Buy
Ed, sent you a private message in case you missed it....

/ Looking to Buy
So I went to the dealer today and played some :)

First of all, I have a price from him on the 3039 now, and its a little more than I had hoped, but he says we can work on that some, once I get financing approved. He is looking for I think $19,250ish. Now, one thing he did tell me, is he includes a few things in that price.

- He puts tubes in the rear wheels, and loads them with Calicium Chloride (we had a long discussion on this...)
- He washes, waxes and fills the fuel tank (which I would EXPECT!! :) )
- He includes ANY pickup/delivery needed throughout the duration of the 5 year warranty! (most dont!)
- Free delivery (honestly, I would just drive it home otherwise, he is less than 2 miles from me, down the road)

So while that's not much, it does help to sweeten the deal a little. And again, he talks like there is still room for some negotiation there.

So the R3039 he had on the lot, was buried under 1.5' of snow. He had one of his guys come out with me to get it cleaned off so I could play some. I was very happy with how well it started, when obviously it has been sitting for quite some time. I was able to drive it out of its snow drift, although it took a little working back and forth. Granted, we are talking almost 2' of snow here, and some of it was plow run off.

I really like the tractor. Very few complaints about it, and one may call them observations more than anything.

Such as:

- You cant lift the loader and roll the bucket at the same time. The valving seems to only allow one or the other (maybe this goes away after its run more, or when its WARMER??)
- Shuttle shifter felt a little stiff?? (again, maybe its just too NEW) - also could be a little longer
- 3pt Hitch control feels a little cramped with respect to the fender. Find it strange they didnt add 1" of length to it, to make it easier to use
- Seat seemed to tilt forward, but keep in mind, I didnt mess with any adjustments on it

Like I said, not really complaints, but observations!

Things I did really like:

- Loader control placement and feel - VERY smooth controls, one could really fall in love with that
- Overall, the whole thing just 'feels' right. Everything was where I would expect it to be
- the selectable PTO - independent vs 'manual' -- those of us who grew up using a clutch controlled PTO are 'trained' to stab the clutch when the mower hits something to make it stop, I like that I can CHOOSE to run it in this mode if I desire
- Throttle pedal has a plastic pedal on the metal rod - while most CUT's just use a metal rod for the pedal. Makes it so your boot doesnt hang on it! VERY nice

I really like it, and after driving the 3039, I figured I better sit on 3033 at least to see how I felt about it. Its a no brainer - really. I was not comfortable at all on the 3033. The shifter hits my leg in a comfortable sitting position. The loader controls feel like the worst afterthought ever (why couldnt they extend the stick a little and maybe put a bend in it to make it more ergonomic??) The lack of a floor mat on the floor, and just over all, it felt 'cheap'. I was also cramped on the seat, and I dont really know why. Physically the tractors arent much different in size. I really dont understand why so many people like them (he was telling me he sells way more of the 3033 vs the 3039)

In the end, I cant see myself settling for a 3033 now. I am at a point where I need to work out the financing, and go from there. Hopefully with my less than stellar credit, they will at least let me provide a larger down payment, instead of insisting on a co-signer.

I am hoping to get him down on the price some, and I also hope to poke him some on 2 other things. #1, instead of delivering my tractor to me, let me drive it home - and take the borrowed kubota back to my friend for me :) - #2, since this tractor already has 18.5ish hours.... include the 50 hour service for me (only fair, right??? ;-) )

Thanks for all the input!
Mike

/ Looking to Buy #9  
It sounds like the R3039 is the tractor for you. I liked the entry G series because I was trying to keep the total under $20000. Everything about the R series is better than the G. I have gotten used to the different controls on this tractor. Are you dealing with Bob James? He is easy to deal with. I am really impressed with their fast service. They will repair at your place if possible. Let us know how you make out. Good luck Mike. Ed

/ Looking to Buy #10  
Mangus..

A few things to consider..

Now this is all my opinion of course. I think you can do much better on price. I live in W. PA and paid $20,000 out the door / delivered for my machine. I have the R4041 with the EZ shift transmission. Sort of a cross between shuttle and hydro I guess.
Anyways, I think hes throwing in the free delivery and warranty delivery / pickup because; as you stated the dealer is only a couple miles away. Its safe to say that he would have less than an hours labor round trip to take the tractor back for any warranty work.
The loader does have a small "sweet" spot to curl and lift at the same time. When you do catch it, the loader hydraulics are a lot slower. You mentioned the shuttle lever being a little short. You will learn to appreciate that the first time you got to get off the tractor and hit the lever with your hip causing it to drive away on its own. I have trained myself to put the lever AND the trans gear selector in neutral when dismounting. That way, if you hit the shuttle lever, it wont take off on you.

Now again.. my opinion: I would, and did go with rimguard without the tubes. CCL is very caustic when exposed to air. At some point, a thorn or something will compromise the tube which will cause the CCL to leak into the void between the rim and tube. There is much discussion on CCL vs Rimguard on the boards. For me, Rimguard was the best choice because 1) CCL would kill my grass to the root if it leaked, 2) I will never have to worry about rims deteriorating from the inside out, and 3) I cant plug an inner tube. I have read good results on these boards of people filling rims themselves with RV antifreeze rather that CCL.
My last thought: If it were me.. and its not.. but if it was.. Knowing what I know now, I would tell him to forget all of the free delivery, fuel, wax and CCL and get a bigger machine for the same price as his deal on the 3039. I think an R4041 is within reach of your $19250 budget.

In the tractor world.. 99.9% of the time.. bigger IS better.

This may give you a little more perspective on the deal he is offering.. I came across this AFTER my initial post.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grq/3475718387.html

Last edited: