Tire Choices

/ Tire Choices #11  
Not to hi jack your thread, but Im looking at getting a new LS and wondering the same thing. If were talking dry conditions, does the R4 have anything over the turf tires? For plowing snow wouldnt turf and chains be better then anything else? Ill be doing mostly mowing with some disc or tiller work and with 4x4 I cant see needing anything more then turf tires, but no experience to say for sure. Short of running a plow, I cant see any need for ag tires.
Traction wise you might be as good as R4 on totally dry soil but I doubt it. One big advantage of R4 over turfs is thicker wall and tread so fewer flats. If you run over enough red bugs you will get a flat on turfs where as R4 are usually 8-12 ply and much thicker rubber for the treads. If you have turfs dont stop where your dog took a leak or you might not move out of the tracks especially if on a hill.

/ Tire Choices #12  
I have tractors with both - my LS 4041 has R4 and has been good ... yes there are parts of my field where I may need to wait an extra week or two in the spring before I attempt it (hence the IHC with Agr's) - but I'm retired so what's the rush? :)

/ Tire Choices #13  
Ag tires give far better traction going cross slope or in muddy conditions.R4s just don't keep you from sliding sidewise in hilly terrain.Unless you are in the flatlands go with ag tires.

/ Tire Choices #14  
Not to hi jack your thread, but Im looking at getting a new LS and wondering the same thing. If were talking dry conditions, does the R4 have anything over the turf tires? For plowing snow wouldnt turf and chains be better then anything else? Ill be doing mostly mowing with some disc or tiller work and with 4x4 I cant see needing anything more then turf tires, but no experience to say for sure. Short of running a plow, I cant see any need for ag tires.
With chains, you could use racing slicks and get good traction. I think if you are thinking of chaining up, I would get the R4 as they have more rubber to keep the chains in place AND when you take off the chains, you still have SOME traction compared to Turfs that have none.