Tire Chains

/ Tire Chains #1  

stevecant

Tractor
J2030h
Hi all, I have a LS J2030H tractor I bought about 1.5 years ago. Good tractor no issues, just a question to those who know. Tire chains, does anyone use them and do you put them on all 4 tires? My driveway is 500+ feet long and gravel, and goes up hill to the house, in the winter (like now) it turns to ice more so on the up hill part. I need traction to make it up the hill, I think chains will work I don`t know. The tractor is 4 wheel drive with a FEL and backhoe that I never take off, I never tried backing it up the hill, that might be an option but I would rather drive up. Thanks

/ Tire Chains #2  
Boy, there are a lot of threads and posts on this subject, so try a search on TBN.

That said, some chain the rears only as they do most of the pulling (fronts are assists only), some chain the fronts and some chain all four corners.

I chain the rear tires only...gets me through almost anything and does not stress the front axle (Deere and other manufacturers don't recommend front chains, but nor do they prohibit the use of chains on the front).
So, I would suggest you go for an aggressive chain on the rear tires and learn to use your steering brakes. I'd also suggest having some sand in your ballast box (along with a spade) to shovel sand if you need more traction.
By the way, I wouldn't back up at all...that shifts the weight off your primary traction source (the rear tires).

/ Tire Chains #3  
i also have a long steep gravel driveway i bought vbar for the rear of my jd 990 i also have a set of chains on the front i made they arent vbar, i back up my hill then plow down. they make a big difference. they also make tractor much safer.

/ Tire Chains #4  
I have studded snow chains that work well on ice: DSCF1416.JPG

/ Tire Chains #5  
Im looking to buy the same tractor and have looked into chains. IF you have the industrial tread(R4's?) its a unique size and only a few styles fit them. I only looked on tirechains.com though, so maybe other sources have more options for those tires. IF your on a hill, wouldnt hurt to have chains on the front, just for steering purposes. Roy mentions using the rear brakes to steer, but as you know, this model doesnt have independent wheel braking so that wont work. IF you get them soon, update this with what you get and how you like them.

Whistlepig, those are sweet looking chains, where did you get them?

/ Tire Chains #6  
If you want traction on ice, the only choice is chains. I know few folks who put chains on the front. I'd check with the owner's manual and see what it has to say about them.

/ Tire Chains #7  
I don't think chains on ice would put anymore stress on the driveline then AG's on a soft field. I have run chains on my little Kubota year round (turf tires) for the last 7 years. I rarely take it out of 4x4. Anyway since I make my own chains and only drive on dirt, I made less aggressive front chains.

/ Tire Chains #8  
I personally would never put chains on a tractor! Now that is just me mainly because I just don't need to and hope to never need to. I don't know if chains add any stress to a tractor in any fashion, even if they do tractor drive trains are pretty tough. If you do put chains on a tractor always check the clearence between the tires and the fenders, chains and fenders do not get along well in some cases and if propper clearence they need to be kept tight if the clearence is minimal pr they will or could still cause problems with fenders.
Well that is my opinion on tire chains, and my opinion is worth about as much as this paperclip laying here on the desk, well maybe not that much! :2cents:

/ Tire Chains #9  
So Steve, did you end up buying chains? Which ones did you get if you did buy some?

/ Tire Chains #10  
So Steve, did you end up buying chains? Which ones did you get if you did buy some?