LS Tractor Stability

/ LS Tractor Stability #1  

JR Butler

Tractor
Case, LS, Farmall
I just bought a new LS J2030H tractor for mowing and light front end loader duties. This is my first subcompact tractor. It came with industrial - not agricultural tread tires which the dealer filled with fluid, (all four). My other tractors are larger, have good wheel spread and are quite stable. The J2030H has a set wheel spread and with the loader empty and near the ground it seems to lack stability, giving a feeling that it's ready to go over, (I live in the hills of western Pennsylvania). Is this real and a trait of this make and model, or just a case of getting familiar with a new piece of equipment.

/ LS Tractor Stability #2  
Welcome from Oklahoma. Not really familiar with your tractor, or what kind of terrain you're going over. You might post your question in the LS section as the other owners will be more likely to see it.

Ken

/ LS Tractor Stability #3  
:welcome:

/ LS Tractor Stability #4  
I just bought a new LS J2030H tractor for mowing and light front end loader duties. This is my first subcompact tractor. It came with industrial - not agricultural tread tires which the dealer filled with fluid, (all four). My other tractors are larger, have good wheel spread and are quite stable. The J2030H has a set wheel spread and with the loader empty and near the ground it seems to lack stability, giving a feeling that it's ready to go over, (I live in the hills of western Pennsylvania). Is this real and a trait of this make and model, or just a case of getting familiar with a new piece of equipment.

I dont thing the LS is any more unstable than under other small tractor with narrow wheel base. This is the same thing with all the small tractors as they all have narrow wheel bases. Lots of the lack of stability sensation is just lack of familiarity with the tractor and it will get better with use although, it is always better with wider stance. I am not familiar with your model but post on the LS forum and I am sure you will get some advice from the small tractor owners. You should be able to adjust the rims to get a wider stance, if nothing else, swap the rear tires from side to side, unless already swapped to widest setting. Look at the cup in the rim (they all have a cup to them), does it curve in toward the tractor or out away from the tractor. If it is cupped in toward the tractor, then all you have to do is swap the tires. Put the left side on the right and right on the left and it will widen the stance by at least 8" or more.

/ LS Tractor Stability #5  
I just pulled up a picture of your tractor from the website and it looks like the rims might be set at widest point and not able to swap them like most tractors. If you tires are centerline with the edge of the fender, then you cant get any wider. You may do like some of the Kubota owners and have some spacers made to add 2-4" spread to each side.
Again, post on the LS forum and check with those guys for what they have done.

/ LS Tractor Stability #8  
Welcome!

/ LS Tractor Stability #9  
Welcome. I think some of the smaller tractors (not just LS) do have some stability issues. Just keep the pucker factor in check.

/ LS Tractor Stability #10  
I have the LS J2030H like yours and dont notice any stability issues. However this is my first tractor and Im on flat ground for the most part. Are you actually getting a wheel off the ground, or just the feeling like you are? It sits up tall, but so far I like that. This summer when I start mowing around my walkout basement, maybe Ill think differently.