R3039 Fuel Tank Leak

/ R3039 Fuel Tank Leak
Not sure where its leaking yet but they are going to do the JB weld fix and return it back to me for a spare. I will let you know more when I find out. I only have about 57 hours on it but this is the only real issue I have had. It's been a great tractor.

So, any word from the dealer yet on cause???

/ R3039 Fuel Tank Leak #32  
I found this thread searching for a new tank. Had hoped maybe a fix without shelling out $400+, but I guess not. Like the cheap screw that I am I have tried to plastic weld it, but not having a lot of success with that, but for $400, I am gonna try one more time.

What made me mad is this happened under warrantee, but the dealer I bought my tractor from went out of business 3 months after I bought it. One of the reasons I bought both an LS and from this dealer was because they were only 2 miles away and I could ride the tractor to them for service. Next closest is 30 miles. So I send the below photo to LS USA and they say yes, that is a flaw and not misuse or abuse, we will be happy to give you a new free tank...but...you will have to go the dealer and have them install it. Wonderful, you admit that the tank was faulty, but wont just send me the tank so I can install it. Lets see, I can call that same dealer up and buy the tank and put it in myself, but you wont ship it to me! It would cost me more to get the tractor to the dealer then the tank cost, so yes, I was pissed.

Thanks for letting me vent!

4hzpULmh.jpg

Last edited:
   / R3039 Fuel Tank Leak #33  
Ding, Ding, Ding...we have a winner! Gonna give it a try!

Keep this in mind in case you have leak after the warranty is out. I fixed the leak in mine with JB WELD and it is still holding over a year later. The dealer gave me the new tank and told me to return the old one. I said ok when it gets empty, so far it has never gotten empty because it hasnt leaked so the new tank is setting in my shop in the cardboard container it came in along with the new designed support for the skid plate. It took them 6 weeks to finally get the new tank in and by that time, I had taken off the old one, acetoned it good, took a wire wheel on my 4" grinder and gouged it up good at the cracks and acetoned it again. Mixed up some JB Weld and layed down a goodly amount on each nut and let it dry. While that was happening, I fabbed up some angle and plate and built a proper brush guard for the tank. When reinstalling, I put some 1/2" thick foam rubber under the mounting points to cushion it (this was from an old foam mat for workstation standing relief) It been there a long time now and still holding and it is directly on the bottom of the tank.
You could likely fix yours the same way. You might ask the dealer about keeping the old tank if they dont have to send them back. I know they have to keep the broken parts for a period of time in case they are audited by the company and want to see the supposedly replaced parts, but sooner or later they throw them out.

/ R3039 Fuel Tank Leak
Same goes for me. After a couple of failed attempts with various epoxy compounds, I tried the JB Weld fix. Mine has been holding very well after about two years. Interestingly, if you've read the entire thread, you know that my dealer shipped me a replacement under warranty after the original crack developed. Well, the replacement tank cracked exactly as the original had cracked. Both tanks have been repaired using the JB Weld fix. The second tank still sits on the shelf --- hopefully, it will never be needed.

/ R3039 Fuel Tank Leak #36  
It only took me 7 months to get it done, and my work is quite bad when looked at when dry! Will give it over night and put it back in and hope it works. Always worried I do not get it prepped right. I cleaned it, then dug it out with a Dremal, then cleaned it again, then one more shot with the dermal, then some rubbing alcohol to hopefully get any last dirt and grim out. I guess we see tomorrow!

ydwdeO7h.jpg

/ R3039 Fuel Tank Leak #37  
Lasted about an hour, tried to rework it and I put a big hole in it, so new tank is on the way to the dealer $275...Man, this had better last more then 18 fricken months!

/ R3039 Fuel Tank Leak
At the risk of jinxing myself, I'll just say that the JB Weld fix is still holding ---- going on three years or so now.

/ R3039 Fuel Tank Leak
Well, I knew that I should keep my mouth shut. It lasted around 2 1/2 years. It was leaking today --- so I replaced it with my spare that also was "JB Weld" repaired. I hope it lasts another 2 1/2 years. I can live with that since it doesn't look like there ever will be any such thing as a permanent fix. Sad.

/ R3039 Fuel Tank Leak #40  
I just put my new $296 tank in Thursday! Really not happy to hear your 2nd one split too! Won't do any good, but me and LS are gonna have a few choice words if this new one splits as soon as the Original did!