50 Hour Service

/ 50 Hour Service #1  

mangus580

Gold Member
Tractor
Bolens (Iseki) H1502; LS R3039
So reading my manual - it states that just the filters get changed at the 50 hour service, not the actual oils.... I thought the oil got changed too?

/ 50 Hour Service #3  
So reading my manual - it states that just the filters get changed at the 50 hour service, not the actual oils.... I thought the oil got changed too?

You are correct, according the the manual, you change just the filters at fifty. I changed my oil as well as the filters @ fifty, and will likely change it, as well as the hydro fluid @ around 150 (manual says 300).

/ 50 Hour Service #4  
You are correct, according the the manual, you change just the filters at fifty. I changed my oil as well as the filters @ fifty, and will likely change it, as well as the hydro fluid @ around 150 (manual says 300).
I try to stick as close to the manual as possible that way I don't have to remember when the last time I changed something> I do write the dates on the filters also when I change them. I don't believe in wasting our hydrocarbon resources and figure that if the manufacturers think it will go to 300, it likely will go to 600 without a problem so they already have a built in safety factor to protect their warranty money so why do I need to spend the extra /extra money.

/ 50 Hour Service
I was just curious, as I had thought I heard somewhere (maybe hte dealer) that the hydro fluid gets changed too. He charges like $500 for it.... so....

I can easily just do it myself if I follow the manuals schedule...

/ 50 Hour Service #6  
Check your operators manual for the change/replace schedules. It seems most manufacturers are backing off on some maintenance intervals, Kubota in particular has extended time intervals considerably in the last few years.

/ 50 Hour Service #7  
The 50hr service for new Yanmars includes changing the hydro fluids, but at least that service is free. OEM Hydro oil isn't cheap!

/ 50 Hour Service #8  
The only HST tractor I have is my B26 and I recently picked up a filter change box, Kubota has a package deal with every thing you need for 200 hours service which is basically same as 50 hour service. It has fuel filter, both hydraulic filters and air filter for around $100 and I wouldn't expect LS to be any higher. Then you have the oil and nothing is as high as Kubota oil@$20 per gallon. I have been researching the oil specs for a universal hydraulic oil. The oil listed in my LS manual is something I never heard of so instead, I have been using the Universal oil from Atwood's in a green can, Super S I think but I have to go look at the can again for verification. It meets a whole bunch of specs for Caterpillar, CaseIH, New Holland etc. Meets Kubota SUDT spec, Hy-Tran and basically lists the same specs as a bottle of UDT oil from Kubota and its less than $10 per gallon. It must be sold by others besides Atwood's, maybe TSC also.
SO if your tractor holds 10 gallons of hydraulic oil or less, $100 will buy you all the oil you need, 100 for filters and then your time of about an hour to do the work and save $300. You may have to buy an oil container to hold the capacity of oil that you will be draining also but I didn't count that as an expense as it can be used many times for other oil changes.

/ 50 Hour Service #9  

I've noticed different models have drastically different instructions. I got the service manual for my S3010 and it had me change all fluids (except coolant) and filters at 50 hrs -- even the front axle gear lube and fuel filters.

/ 50 Hour Service #10  
I've noticed different models have drastically different instructions. I got the service manual for my S3010 and it had me change all fluids (except coolant) and filters at 50 hrs -- even the front axle gear lube and fuel filters.
I can kinda see changing oil and even oil filters due to poor machining and bearing wear in, but FUEL FILTERS. Come on that is ridiculous. That little tractor couldn't possibly burn more than 2 gallons per hour so 100 gallon for fuel. I wouldn't change them till they showed some sign of contamination / fuel problems or at least 200 hours of service. I filter all my fuel with5 micron filters from my storage tank and so far I haven't had to change any fuel filters on any of my vehicles. Kubota RTV over 2 years and over 200 hours and filter is still clear(well red) with no water or other contamination evident in the clear plastic housing.