Talk me into either a R3039H or a R4041H !!!

/ Talk me into either a R3039H or a R4041H !!! #1  

TSO

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1652 HST Cab
Sorry to clutter up the LS Forum with another "advice" thread, but... I test drove Kioti's again today, and I'm 100% sure I want an LS. So much smoother, both the engine & hydraulics. Cheaper too :thumbsup: Downside of course is that I'll be getting a lower trade-in on my current tractor by not staying with Kioti, and my Kioti dealer (who I am very happy with) is only 15 miles away. The closest LS dealer is 40, and the next is 85. Alternatively, I can buy an LS, and put my Kioti up for sale and hope it sells quickly, and for more than the trade-in amount. Downside is that I bought it a year ago, so I'm going to lose money either way. Currently owe $10,900, the (farther) dealer hasn't given me an official trade-in price yet, and the closer one doesn't do Kioti's, and says he's not interested in taking it in on trade. My Kioti dealer offered me $9700. At only 216 hours !!! Poop.

Anyhow, I'm driving my wife crazy with numbers, comparisons, hypotheticals, etc. I wish that there was a higher price difference between the 39 & 41 so it would be easier, but it's not. So, here's my run-down of pros for each one. Can some of ya give me your list of pros/cons, and/or comment on mine? I'm sick of bouncing the idea off myself and I'm completely stuck right now. Oh, also... sticking with Hydrostat. I test drove the Shuttle, and while I can "Get used to it" I don't prefer it for the minor cost jump to the Hydro.

R3039H.

Specs I'm interested in:

• Quoted at $18,800 by the closer dealer, $19,400 by the other.
  • Lift cap = 2250lbs
  • breakout = 3457lbs
  • rear pto = 29hp
  • weight = 2780 (before loader), so guessing approx 4000lbs total?

Pros:
  • Better visibility from seat due to smaller tractor.
  • Easier maneuverability due to smaller tractor.
  • The operators area actually seems more spacious, and I prefer the 4x4 & HST range lever positions over the 40 series
  • Less weight (theoretically) equals less ground damage
  • WEIGHT: my trailer is a 16' cargo with dual 3500lb axles. Trailer weighs 1500lbs, so I can carry 5500lbs (officially). My truck is rated to pull 6500lbs (officially). So, with the 4000lb R3039H, I can load the tractor, and say a pallet of firewood,
    pumpkins, whatever... and still not tax the weight ratings of my truck or trailer.
  • Loader is still pretty powerful (especially compared to my little Kioti, 1074 lift capacity, 1515 breakout :eek: )

R4041H:
  • Quoted at $20,400 by the 2nd dealer, still waiting on price from the closer dealer (he doesn't have any Hydro's on the lot but says he can get it)
  • Lift cap = 2500
  • Breakout = 4354
  • Weight = 3813 before loader, guessing 5000lbs total?
  • PTO HP = 33

Pros:
  • Within $1000 of the 39
  • (slightly) more lift capacity
  • 900lbs more Breakout capacity
  • 1000 more lbs of overall weight for more power & lifting ballast
  • Loader reaches 5" higher.

So... that's what it comes down to. Ordinarily I'd say "For only $1000 you are getting WAY more tractor" which is still true, however, because of it's size, the 40 series will be, at times, a hinderance. Someday I'll get a bigger truck, and someday I'll get a bigger trailer, but I'm not going to do that anytime soon.

Is there anything I'm missing, or that I haven't considered? What exactly am I getting or losing by going with either one? Is the extra lift & breakout capacity going to be noticeably better in the 40'series? Is there something a 41hp 5000lb tractor can handle WAY better than a 38.5hp 4000lb tractor? I'm not planning on going bigger than 6' for implements anyhow, and most of the work will be loader work, with some grading, plowing, tilling, etc. I'm sure I can get accustomed to the larger size of the 41, while operating... but again, the larger size will cause problems of its' own.

Talk me into or out of either one so my brain can see an outside position!

Thanks in advance - hopefully my next TBN Thread will be a "here's my new LS ***** tractor!"

R3039 on the left, R4041 on the right...

2013-01-28_16-21-16_526.jpg

/ Talk me into either a R3039H or a R4041H !!!
Side note... wife thinks the R3039 makes more sense and will be a better "fit" .... :cowgirl: She could care less about the $1000-1500 up charge for the 41

/ Talk me into either a R3039H or a R4041H !!! #3  
Side note... wife thinks the R3039 makes more sense and will be a better "fit" .... :cowgirl: She could care less about the $1000-1500 up charge for the 41

Looks to me like a 1600 diff? Are they both hst? I was in the same position. I stayed with the 3039, and am happy. Perfect size for my six acres. Saved money for implements!

/ Talk me into either a R3039H or a R4041H !!! #4  
To me, the difference in hp and price is negligible. One possible advantage of the 4041 is the bigger tires, especially the front tires. Some areas of my property stay mushy except in the driest days of summer. The front tires of my 3039 seem to sink right into these areas, worse with a load in the bucket, but the rears have no problem staying on top. Not trying to muddy the waters even more, but I may have been better off going with turf tires, instead of the R4's, for my particular situation.

/ Talk me into either a R3039H or a R4041H !!! #5  
I am totally different minded. To me from the picture you gave with the side by side the up size to the 41 isn't going to hurt you at all, having the extra HP will do nothing but benneffet you in the long run, more lift capasity is never a bad thing, and if you go smaller and decide it isn't big enough it will cost you way way more than 1 to 1600 to up size. Plus no matter what if you go smaller you will always have that thought in the back of your mind wow I bet the 41 would have really done this better! But what do I know heck I myself would go with the 47 and then wonder just how much more could I do with a U series!:laughing:

/ Talk me into either a R3039H or a R4041H !!! #6  
I don't think you can really go wrong with either one. I knew I was going to be taxing the loader with the trees I have, and needing to move some earth to build berms, so I went with the larger frame....that was primary. I've been surprised at how small a space I can get the bigger tractor in....really surprised!

One factor I didn't think about, and just occurred to me is durability/longevity. Doing work at the same level of difficulty, the larger tractor, with bigger everything should (in theory) last longer, and require fewer repairs over time, because you're simply not working it as hard. If you're planning to keep it indefinitely, maybe that matters a little bit...maybe not. The heavier tractor should also be better from a traction standpoint, which can be important.

I will say that I've run into situations already where my 4047 wouldn't lift something I wanted to move, or stopped dead when I was slowly scooping up debris and dirt because I was cutting just a bit too deep, so I'm really glad I didn't go any smaller. I can totally see how jumping up one size from where I'm at now would actually be handy, but I think my wife would kill me if I tried that :laughing:

/ Talk me into either a R3039H or a R4041H !!! #7  
I would say go with the 4041. When I started my search, I was originally looking at the G3033, and followed somewhat the same path of, a few more $$ will get me 'this'. I would have probably made the jump to the 4041 myself, but hit a cap on the financial resources available to me. I am happy with my 3039, and am sure it will do just about anything I throw at it, but I may always wonder if I should have gone the next step.

If you are already wondering, and have the $$ to do it, I would go ahead and just do it now. I think you will more likely find more situations with the 3039 where you wish you had the 4041, than the other way around....

Just my :twocents: and you get what you pay for ;)

/ Talk me into either a R3039H or a R4041H !!! #8  
Everyone has different requirements. How much acreage do you have? Is it open fields or closer quarters. How do you plan to use your tractor?
I have a little over six acres of which is mostly covered with trees or blueberry field. I have one acre that is open field. I went with the R3039 mainly because of the size. Even if the 40 series would have been less money, I'd have gone with the same tractor. I started out planning to spend around 25K, but luckily found the perfect tractor in the LS, and saved a bunch of money. I got the most horsepower in an appropriate frame size. Now, if I had several acres of open field area to tend, I would have gone with a larger machine. Sure, I'd love to have a "P" series, unfortunately, I don't have the acreage for it.
Randy

/ Talk me into either a R3039H or a R4041H !!!
Everyone has different requirements. How much acreage do you have? Is it open fields or closer quarters. How do you plan to use your tractor?
I have a little over six acres of which is mostly covered with trees or blueberry field. I have one acre that is open field. I went with the R3039 mainly because of the size. Even if the 40 series would have been less money, I'd have gone with the same tractor. I started out planning to spend around 25K, but luckily found the perfect tractor in the LS, and saved a bunch of money. I got the most horsepower in an appropriate frame size. Now, if I had several acres of open field area to tend, I would have gone with a larger machine. Sure, I'd love to have a "P" series, unfortunately, I don't have the acreage for it.
Randy

Good point. I have 15 total, about 60/40 wooded/open. A 4-acre field will be used this year for planting crop (after a few rounds of brush-hogging, and maybe a light till session). But, that crop will likely be Pumpkins, blueberries, and possibly wine-grapes, so minimal tractor work to maintain that. Another 3 acre field of grass, which I currently maintain as my driving range :D ... I'm going to cut into it a bit and plant spruce/fir for xmas trees. I still have several hundred trees to take down. About 100 of them are large 25 yr spruce that line my driveway on one side. Once they're down, I will have a nice supply of "telephone-pole" type logs for misc whatever, and it will open up another acre where I'll plant xmas trees. I currently mow that grass with my 72" Ford mower, which simultaneously pushes my 8' driving-range ball roller/picker (gotta love Craigslist :dance1: ). Theoretically, I could sell that mower, buy a 72" finish for a fraction of the price, and use the new tractor to maintain the grass... albeit at a slight time increase.

My driveway is approx 1000' long gravel, and I'm off a dirt road, so I'll need to maintain that as well. Currently have a HD 66" box blade which will do the job. I do go into the woods to dig out rocks and skid logs from downed trees. I also maintain a trail through the woods. At this point, I feel the HP difference won't change the work I do... and the only major factor is the extra weight & loader capacity.

There's also that concern about transporting the tractor around...

***EDIT*** I also need it to handle a 3-pt stump grinder at some point.

Last edited:
   / Talk me into either a R3039H or a R4041H !!! #10  
Good point. I have 15 total, about 60/40 wooded/open. A 4-acre field will be used this year for planting crop (after a few rounds of brush-hogging, and maybe a light till session). But, that crop will likely be Pumpkins, blueberries, and possibly wine-grapes, so minimal tractor work to maintain that. Another 3 acre field of grass, which I currently maintain as my driving range :D ... I'm going to cut into it a bit and plant spruce/fir for xmas trees. I still have several hundred trees to take down. About 100 of them are large 25 yr spruce that line my driveway on one side. Once they're down, I will have a nice supply of "telephone-pole" type logs for misc whatever, and it will open up another acre where I'll plant xmas trees. I currently mow that grass with my 72" Ford mower, which simultaneously pushes my 8' driving-range ball roller/picker (gotta love Craigslist :dance1: ). Theoretically, I could sell that mower, buy a 72" finish for a fraction of the price, and use the new tractor to maintain the grass... albeit at a slight time increase.

My driveway is approx 1000' long gravel, and I'm off a dirt road, so I'll need to maintain that as well. Currently have a HD 66" box blade which will do the job. I do go into the woods to dig out rocks and skid logs from downed trees. I also maintain a trail through the woods. At this point, I feel the HP difference won't change the work I do... and the only major factor is the extra weight & loader capacity.

There's also that concern about transporting the tractor around...

***EDIT*** I also need it to handle a 3-pt stump grinder at some point.

If you do go with the larger tractor, you may want a bigger box blade. I've got a 72" Heavy Duty Howse, and it's perfect for my machine. A couple inches wider than my rear tires, and it pulls it full, like it wasn't even there.