LS turning radius, differential lock, and recent prices

/ LS turning radius, differential lock, and recent prices #1  

hcf

Bronze Member
Tractor
BCS
Greetings,

Am considering buying an LS 4047 or LS 5030. None of the literature or websites list a turning radius (with or without brake) and none indicate whether they have differential lock. Is that information online somewhere and I just missed it?

Does anyone have recent prices for these models they'd like to share. Would prefer to get a gear transmission and ag tires.

Thank you for your time,
HCF

/ LS turning radius, differential lock, and recent prices #2  
I bought an R4047H with R4s for $21,500 out the door, so a gear model would be less. They definitely have a diff lock, with the control located right next to the 4wd engagement lever. I don't know about turning radius, but I'll look in the owners manual when I get a minute. They also didn't list speed ranges for tranny specs, but it's in the manual....so it's worth a look.

/ LS turning radius, differential lock, and recent prices #3  
FYI, gear models, the diff lock is on the right side.

/ LS turning radius, differential lock, and recent prices #4  
I purchased a U5030C last year, prior to the Tier 4 Emissions Requirements and paid 30k for a gear tractor with 4x4, Cab, Loader, QA Bucket and Hay Spear. Prices are probably higher on them now with the new engines I would think.

/ LS turning radius, differential lock, and recent prices
Hi All,

Thanks for the prompt replies. Figured they had to have a differential lock, but I never saw it mentioned in the literature... Have been comparing the LS specs to the Kioti specs and while Kioti lists the turning radius, LS does not. Not a big deal as long as it's close, but curious why it's not listed.

Thanks again for your time,

John

/ LS turning radius, differential lock, and recent prices #6  
Hi All,

Thanks for the prompt replies. Figured they had to have a differential lock, but I never saw it mentioned in the literature... Have been comparing the LS specs to the Kioti specs and while Kioti lists the turning radius, LS does not. Not a big deal as long as it's close, but curious why it's not listed.

Thanks again for your time,

John

Just checked my manual, and it lists the turning radius with brake as 8.5ft. I know mine surprises me at how tight it can turn.

/ LS turning radius, differential lock, and recent prices #7  
Just checked my manual, and it lists the turning radius with brake as 8.5ft. I know mine surprises me at how tight it can turn.

Holy crap! thats tighter than my 3039!! Which lists 9.2ft

/ LS turning radius, differential lock, and recent prices
Hi All,

Thanks for the price and turning radii. Any numbers for the turning radius without the brake? I'm not worried about marring the ground, so perhaps using the brake is the way to go in a tight spot.

John

/ LS turning radius, differential lock, and recent prices #9  
Hi All,

Thanks for the price and turning radii. Any numbers for the turning radius without the brake? I'm not worried about marring the ground, so perhaps using the brake is the way to go in a tight spot.

John

They only listed it with the brake in the LS manual. After I looked it up, I checked on Kioti's site, and saw they listed the DK40 series at 9.5ft with the brake, but nothing listed without the brake. With the brake locked, it should be down to simply front steering geometry, and tires, so the two should have numbers that are proportionally bigger without the brake. I test drove a Kioti DK50SE Hydro side-by-side with the LS, and did a few very tight turns backwards and forwards to get an idea of how nimble they were, and they appeared to be pretty much identical (not likely to notice 1ft difference unless you're comparing on a fixed obstacle course!). On paper it might be an advantage to the LS, but I think it's the kind of thing that only makes a difference to a very few people.

/ LS turning radius, differential lock, and recent prices #10  
I work in confined, narrow trails and turning radius was a major concern when I upgraded my Kubota L275DT to a Kioti DK35 HST. The L275DT out-turned the DK35-- "on paper". But that was for locked-wheel turns which, for my use, are misleading. I found locked-wheel turns resulted in the locked wheel skidding in a small circle and doing a lot of damage.

In practice the larger DK35 far out-turned the older-technology L275DT because the front wheels of the DK35 turned at a MUCH sharper angle than the L275DT's. The extra weight and R4's vs R1's of the DK35 may also have helped but I think it was mainly due to the very sharp turning angle. Although larger, the DK35 is much more capable in confined areas than the L275DT.

P.S. I'm not starting a Kioti vs Kubota argument. It is the older L275DT's design that made the difference. I am sure the Kubota L3540 and similar tractors would turn just as well, if not better, than the Kioti's.

I think paper specs can be misleading and you are doing the right thing in asking about others' actual experience.

Last edited: