Greasing the bolts

/ Greasing the bolts #1  

Mike1369

Silver Member
Tractor
Baddest LS P7010C south of Palm Beach County
Well today I went to grease all the joints on the tractor. I only got to do one... Pushed in the greaser, squeezed some grease couldn't pull the dam grease gun off. Pulled with all my might and was left with the tip in the gun. Now I have to change the broken tip.

Are all those tips the same size, not sure why I couldn't pull the gun off the tip.

Any and all suggestions and comments are always appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

/ Greasing the bolts
James when you said read everything start to finish I didn't think it would be a 12 page thesis on bolt greasing...lmao

Thank you for the info, I now feel competent enough to do the job right.

Mike

/ Greasing the bolts #4  
James when you said read everything start to finish I didn't think it would be a 12 page thesis on bolt greasing...lmao

Mike

Yah , but it was a little funny in parts right?:) You had to get a chuckle out of some of it!

James K0UA

/ Greasing the bolts #5  

Mike

Did you find the part about loosening the tip so it can be adjusted by hand when greasing. That 900 lb. gorilla with the 24" pipe wrench that they use at the factory to tighten those grease gun tips does make it a challenge to break the joint sometimes. In case you haven't done it yet the threaded connection is about 1/2" from the tip end and is impossible to see the joint when it is tight. Put the tip end in a vice and tighten till it doesnt slip then use a wrench on the hex end to turn it.

/ Greasing the bolts
Anyone know what size those bits are. I got Steve looking it up for me but trying to give him a hand... That northern flu is killing the guy.

/ Greasing the bolts #7  
Anyone know what size those bits are. I got Steve looking it up for me but trying to give him a hand... That northern flu is killing the guy.

I must have missed something, what bits are you referring to.

/ Greasing the bolts
The zerk bits, I snapped one off prior to getting educated on proper technics for greasing joints..lol

/ Greasing the bolts #9  
The zerk bits, I snapped one off prior to getting educated on proper technics for greasing joints..lol

You should be able to back the base out with easy out and take the end in to size the new one. It is probabley metric if its from the tractor itself, but if things haven't changed the loader should be made here in the states and thoes would be sae. It's just easier to take the broken end in with you.

/ Greasing the bolts #10  
Just plain Zerks or grease fittings would be proper terminology. A small ez-out should take out the threaded part. Always stay away from the press in type, they wont stay put. You should own a set of ez-outs if you don't already have on from about 1/8" to 1/2" will take out most broken bolts. Above 1/2" you can usually drill out the center and use one of the 3/8 or 1/2 ones.
When getting your replacement, pick up a variety as they are not all the same size. On one of my tractors it used 3 different sized threads and some were straight, some had 45 head and some had 90 degree heads. I just bought some of each size and keep them in my parts bin so I always have something to use. You can get them in assortment packages also with 1 or 2 of each size for a few bucks.