Folding ROPS question

/ Folding ROPS question
I do have to work on some trees around here... Noticed a couple in the front yard that hit the ROPS when moving snow. (why shovel it by hand, right? I have one of my 3 year old twins calling the bucket a shovel!)

I am hoping to build a pole barn this summer to provide a better home for both the tractor and the goats and cow. I intend to put a 10' door in it, as I have a 2.5 ton military truck too, and that needs 10' clearance. Not to mention I know enough at this point to plan for something bigger.

Gary, not positive, but I think my uncle can get his RTV in his garage which I am pretty sure is a 7' door. When I built the 'roll' bar for my golf cart, I made sure to keep it short enough to fit under an 80" man door. The shed I keep it in, has a 6' wide 80" tall french door for its opening.

Roll Bar 005 [640x480](1).jpg

Funny... thats the tree that I am hitting with the ROPS!!

IMG_0055_edited (Custom).JPG

This one shows the view over to the driveway (where the suburban is parked). I push from the driveway to just this side of the sidewalk, and then clear the steps and sidewalk as well with the loader.

/ Folding ROPS question #12  
Mine is down most of the time also. Need it down to put in the garage and whenever I drive in the yard it is too high to go under most of the tree branches. I have toyed with cutting it down and moving the hinged portion so it was able to go into the garage but I also want a sun visor for mowing and if I lower it I will keep hitting my head.

Yea I know raise the garage door and cut the branches of the trees. But that would make way to much sense!:mur:

Why modify the ROPS or have it folded down, if you are going to defeat the purpose just take it off. Once taken off or modified you potentially die. The goal of the ROPS is to hold the tractor up from the top of the ROPS and the front of the hood giving you a safe place to be in a role over, this also requires wearing the seat belt. Tie a string from the middle of the ROPS and pull it to the front of the hood and see how close the margin of safety really is. Not wanting to open up a debate just wanted to state the obvious.

/ Folding ROPS question #13  
Why modify the ROPS or have it folded down, if you are going to defeat the purpose just take it off. Once taken off or modified you potentially die. The goal of the ROPS is to hold the tractor up from the top of the ROPS and the front of the hood giving you a safe place to be in a role over, this also requires wearing the seat belt. Tie a string from the middle of the ROPS and pull it to the front of the hood and see how close the margin of safety really is. Not wanting to open up a debate just wanted to state the obvious.

Actually the ROPS main goal is to stop the tractor from rolling more than 90 degrees, either back or side. Once it rolls 180, you may not have enough width on the ROPS to keep it from sinking into the ground to protect you. I have seen them after a hard roll and they collapse a lot to the side so they don't stay ridged as some think.

/ Folding ROPS question #14  
The 'barn' is just a Shelter Logic 'garage in a box'.... not much to modify!!

I had pretty much planned to go that route Gary, was just wondering why they talk about loosening and tightening both bolts in the manual.

How about adding some blocks, or other such, under the shelter walls?
Should be a cheap way to stay safe.

/ Folding ROPS question
How about adding some blocks, or other such, under the shelter walls?
Should be a cheap way to stay safe.

I have considered that, but I would probably need to raise it 16" to get it high enough.

/ Folding ROPS question #16  
Gary, you have some beautiful property.

/ Folding ROPS question #17  
Gary, you have some beautiful property.
Thanks, my brother in law and I have put a lot of money into turning this weed and noxious tree populated spring fed swamp land into a pretty good looking land that for the most part now is well drained and under control. It was grown up in 10 feet tall weeds, sweet gum and pine tree saplings which had starved out the grass everywhere but on the high hills. It has taken 4 years of work with tractors and dozers to get it to look like it does now. I wish now that we had some before pictures.

/ Folding ROPS question #18  
locating the  drive.jpg
This is about the only photo I can find of the way it was and after clearing out the trash from front road to access the house site
May 5,2010.JPG