Something else to check for loose bolts.

/ Something else to check for loose bolts.
I just got back from the Fastenal fastener store. I had to order the 10.9 grade x 1.25 pitch threads x 40mm length ($2.10 each) along with some super dupper lock washers ($1.00 each). The lock washers are two piece contraptions with ridges like a normal lock washer except these have them all the way around inside and out so the two halves lock together and the outside edges have knurled like edges. He guaranteed them not to loosen up with these washers so I am going to forgo the Locktite at this time and keep a check on them. I took a bolt with me to check thread pitch and he said he didn't see any signs of stretching so I went with same 10.9 grade of bolt rather than try for a 12.9 upgrade.
They may be in by Thursday.
Weather is calling for snow flurries later today and tomorrow. Right now its a fine mist and 45F.

Well I got my 16 new grade 10.9 bolts that are 12 mm x 40 mm x 1.25 thread pitch along with 16 Nordlock washers and a .34 oz bottle of blue Loctite for $89 at Fastenal bolt store. I think my original post for pricing was wrong or they changed it, the Locktite blue was about $10 so the bolts with the washers ran $4.93 each including tax per bolt. I got all the old ones out which I am saving as they don't seem to be hurt, dust blown out of the holes and blue Loctite plus the Nordlock washers installed and torqued down, which means as much as I could put on a standard breaker bar. I removed one old and installed a new one then moved to the next one Those 10.9 grade bolts don't stretch at all, finger tighten and then about 1/4 turn and that was all I could get. After getting them all in, I went back around all of them and snugged down any loose ones.
I think they will be there now, but I will sure keep a visual eye on them to verify that they are staying tight. When it warms up again I am going to go over all the FEL bolts again to see if they are still tight since last summer. Havent used it much since I tightened them but may as well check them out again while I still have a little strength in my arms to pull them as for most part, end wrenches are all that you can get on them so my Impact guns are of no use.

/ Something else to check for loose bolts. #14  
I will be checking mine tomorrow

While there, don't forget to check those FEL frame bolts and Wheel lug bolts as well. Those were also loose on my tractor after 60 hours or so (maybe before that but that is when I checked them)

/ Something else to check for loose bolts. #18  
I took my tractor to my dealer bc my FEL wasn't level all the time usually one end was higher than the other. After he took the cylinders apart he found that in one the piston was loose inside and something else wrong with the other. That being said he also found loose FEL frame mount bolts that were loose. He explained to me that when the two powder coated metals bolted together the powder coat actually acts as a lubricant and with the loads and angles the tractor is operated on caused things to move a bit and that caused the bolts to loosen up. He removed the loader completely, sanded the powder coat off the mating surfaces and put everything back together and replaced a couple of worn bolts. So I'll see how it does over the next several weeks. Oh and I had 53 hours on it when I took it in. Great warranty service, it didnt cost me a dime. I just thought I would throw that in there about the powder coating though because I sure didn't know that.

That powder coating is pretty thick also. I have some flaking off on the loader and it looks to be almost a millimeter thick, add that to the paint on the tractor frame and one can readily see how with just a little wearing down of the paint, a bolt could become loose enough to cause problems. I suppose that if all the dealers sanded down the paint, some customers would complain about rust.

/ Something else to check for loose bolts. #20  
I have had some real bummers in the past for the want of tightening some bolts. Thanks for the reminder.