Something else to check for loose bolts.

/ Something else to check for loose bolts. #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
On my 50 hours oil change, I noticed these bolts loose, very loose and tightened them up. NOW got about 78 hours and was fooling around with my disc and decided to grease the 3-4 zerks on it and noticed that these bolts were REALLY loose now, some 4-5 rounds and a big gap in the bottom of the joint. I used the FEL to get the weight off and started tightening them up (19mm socket required). GOT to the last bolt and it had broken off but it did leave enough to get vise-grips on it and get out the stud. After getting the stud out and tightening the rest of the bolts (I loosened them all back up to get the broken stud out) , I checked the other wheel and they were loose also. While tightening those, one broke off but I was able to unscrew it by hand. Looking at the end, it was rusted about half way thru and evidently had been broken for a while. I have carried some pretty good loads of dirt with the FEL so that may be why they are loosening off.
Everyone should check these axle to steering hub bolts, especially if you have a P 7010.
The two broken bolts were in the same location except flipped 180 degrees, one was to front of tractor and the other was toward the rear IMG_1187.jpgIMG_1188.jpg

/ Something else to check for loose bolts. #2  
I will check mine this week... Should these bolt have pressure washers to keep them locked in.

/ Something else to check for loose bolts. #3  
Good catch! It's interesting because on my Mahindra I actually noticed some daylight at the same location on the right side after about 50 hrs. No broken bolts but the lower ones were loose enough to notice the separation. Tightened them up and haven't had an issue since. I soon learned afterward that the right hub is part of the assembly process here in the States.....oops! (Several people with same model had similar issue here on the forum) The left hub bolts never loosened.

Last edited:
   / Something else to check for loose bolts.
I will check mine this week... Should these bolt have pressure washers to keep them locked in.
Yep, they have lock washers but not doing the job. Maybe it is time for some of that blue or red Loctite. First I have to find 2 of the 10.9 grade x whatever mm those are (look to be about 12mm or so and fine thread) by about 25mm long bolts.

/ Something else to check for loose bolts. #5  
Maybe a higher grade so the heads don't snap off.

Maybe a higher grade so the heads don't snap off.
I don't know of anything higher than the 10.9 grade of bolt. I would suspect that the bolt broke because it got stressed when the rest of them loosened off.
Most of the bolts are 8.8 grade but these are super high strength.
I looked up on google and found that they do make a 12.9 with 1220 MPa strength compared to the 10.9 at 1040 MPa (150,800 PSI). You rarely find anything more than 8.8 grade. The 10.9 is equivalent to the ASTM A490 bolts which are classified as high strength bolts for use in structural steel and bridges

Last edited:
   / Something else to check for loose bolts. #7  
If one bolt broke do to stress, then the others were probably stressed also. Replace all of them and use locktight.

Dave

That is probably the best solution. Which color Loctite would be best for these bolts RED OR BLUE>

/ Something else to check for loose bolts. #9  
I always use red on steel or cast iron parts.

Dave

/ Something else to check for loose bolts. #10  
Doesn't red require heat to remove bolt later. Won't blue do the same.