My view

/ My view #71  
Just moving some stumps wish the machine was mine, for more than a weekend

image-1066356297.jpg

/ My view #72  
Just moving some stumps wish the machine was mine, for more than a weekend

View attachment 313631
Sweet. Question: I have about 100 or so stumps in the ground right now, ranging from 10" to 36". Based on what you "borrowed" for that work, can I get that done in a weekend? I'd love to rent one of those, but all I have around me are mini-excavators and TLB combo machines, and at $200/day, I don't really know how much I can expect to get done with those machines.

That's why I'm leaning towards just buying a stump grinder...

/ My view #73  
Sweet. Question: I have about 100 or so stumps in the ground right now, ranging from 10" to 36". Based on what you "borrowed" for that work, can I get that done in a weekend? I'd love to rent one of those, but all I have around me are mini-excavators and TLB combo machines, and at $200/day, I don't really know how much I can expect to get done with those machines.

That's why I'm leaning towards just buying a stump grinder...

This was a hitachi zaxxis 135. Great machine, I had about the same amount of stumps and roughly the same size and yes you can do it in a weekend. With probably 8 hrs on the machine. This rents for 395$ a day which I always get my machine Friday morning gives you three days to put 8 hours on it but I generally will be closer to 16, try and organize my projects so I can get max use out of machine. I use my tractor for moving and staging the smaller stumps. The bigger stumps in the 36 d range you will probably have to dig around but the small stuff will pull right up especially if there is a decent amount of stump above ground. A couple rental places around me have blades on these machines as well which helps in filling the holes and leveling after. If you can afford a 160-200 I would think about that as it will tear out stumps even better. Watched a neighbor take out his stumps with a 200. Made the 135 look like a mini you will have a lot of fun though

/ My view #74  
my view last summer while move some dirt in my yard near Lake Audubon
moose.jpg
and my view after blowing snow for three hours last night.
2305 bb_sb.jpeg

/ My view #75  
btw - really enjoyed going through all these photos! you folks have some awesome properties and very cool toys : )

/ My view #76  
This was a hitachi zaxxis 135. Great machine, I had about the same amount of stumps and roughly the same size and yes you can do it in a weekend. With probably 8 hrs on the machine. This rents for 395$ a day which I always get my machine Friday morning gives you three days to put 8 hours on it but I generally will be closer to 16, try and organize my projects so I can get max use out of machine. I use my tractor for moving and staging the smaller stumps. The bigger stumps in the 36 d range you will probably have to dig around but the small stuff will pull right up especially if there is a decent amount of stump above ground. A couple rental places around me have blades on these machines as well which helps in filling the holes and leveling after. If you can afford a 160-200 I would think about that as it will tear out stumps even better. Watched a neighbor take out his stumps with a 200. Made the 135 look like a mini you will have a lot of fun though
Thanks... I'll try to find one to rent. I should probably cut down the remaining trees first though, like you said... I have another 50 or so that I want to get down before I start digging or removing stumps.

/ My view #77  
Those little 4 blade things don't do much but still better than a string. I have one of those also but to get the tough stuff, you need a blade like a table saw on it and it cuts just like one too, rev it up, swing it into the sapling, "ZING" and its cut. Just keep the guards in place and be mindful that you have a sharp saw on the end of a stick and you will be ok. I think the ones that you sling around your neck with the handlebars are pretty much fool proof. As long as you have it strapped around your neck, and hands on the bars it cant kick back on you. Make sure any observers stay well back also. I even used mine to de-limb some cedars and sweetgum trees.
I will have to get another carbide blade for it before tackling the fence line again though because I hit too many rocks and old hidden barbed wire with it and knocked off all or at least most of the blade tips. Stihl does make one like a chainsaw on a disc but you know how dirt dulls a chainsaw so I don't think those are very practical.

/ My view #78  
A couple pictures with the Big LS cleaning up where I fed the cows rolls last winter.

image-2208720797.jpg

image-1393393743.jpg

/ My view #79  
A couple pictures with the Big LS cleaning up where I fed the cows rolls last winter.

View attachment 314294

View attachment 314295
Darned cows seem to waste about as much hay as they eat, what they don't stomp in the mud, they crap on and waste even with the hay ring around it the pull out big chunks and stomp on it. If cows are the stupidest creature on earth, then they must not be far behind.

/ My view #80  
Darned cows seem to waste about as much hay as they eat, what they don't stomp in the mud, they crap on and waste even with the hay ring around it the pull out big chunks and stomp on it. If cows are the stupidest creature on earth, then they must not be far behind.

Well, there IS goats......

They like to CLIMB on the bales... ring or no ring.

My cow was actually pretty smart before I got the ring... she would hook a horn in the bale and unroll it to get to the good stuff!