My biggest stump

/ My biggest stump #61  
I recently removed a stump that was my worst yet. I ended up cutting some large side roots with a sharpened grub ax. The backhoe wasn't strong enough to pull the stump from the remaining soil so I filled the hole with water and let it sit overnight and the remaining roots came out of the lower soil using the dipper. I had a big problem getting the stump out of the hole and then pushed it into the woods. I am 5' 11" 240 pounds and my arm span is 6 feet 3 inches and overall it may have been larger than seven feet.

Attachments

• IMG_1611cc.jpg
    IMG_1611cc.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1614c.jpg
    IMG_1614c.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_1615c.jpg
    IMG_1615c.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 216
   / My biggest stump #62  
I pulled this one while I was building a road up to the back of the property. I did have to cut one big root. I keep a cheap saw for cutting roots and dig away the dirt and toss a 5 gallon buchet of water to rinse it off before cutting. The tractor is a FarmTrac 390 HST.

Attachments

• stump.jpg
    stump.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 194
   / My biggest stump #63  
Am I cheating using an excavator. Seriously you guys are tackling too much with too small equipment.
Just to let you know I do the same, I really should have a 12-15 ton ecxavator and a full size TLB

Attachments

• DSC03611.JPG
    DSC03611.JPG
    860.1 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC03612.JPG
    DSC03612.JPG
    971.6 KB · Views: 219
   / My biggest stump #64  
Am I cheating using an excavator. Seriously you guys are tackling too much with too small equipment.
Just to let you know I do the same, I really should have a 12-15 ton ecxavator and a full size TLB

Wow--I could use that rig for a few days.

/ My biggest stump #65  
I finally was able to get this thing out a few days ago, I had to dig down about 8 feet on all sides and thank goodness I had NOT cut it all down first, the top had broke off last year and the power company had cut it down to about 30 feet of height.

I used that extra height and weight to help me lever it out of the hole . once I had it laying down with part of the root ball still in the hole , I backfilled behind it , cut off the top , which by the way my 20" saw wasnt long enough for a single cut , I wrapped a chain around it and tryed to lever the stump up on to the backfill. My little LS could get it started to move but I ran out of tractive effort very quickly.

So on to plan B, bring the Dodge 3500 4x4 down and with it in 4 low hooked up to the chain, and even with a couple of feet run ( which scared the **** out of me for fear of breaking the chain and killing my self ) I still could do no better than I had done with the tractor.

So plan C

My FIL Came down to check on me , Hes 84 , I asked if he would help, so with him in the Dodge and me pushing from behind we got it up some , the dodge could hold it while I back filled some more, and then could push more.

I guess all in all I spent about 2 hours digging it up and about an Hour pulling it out , cutting it up.

once we had it out of the hole , I back filled the hole and was able to push the stump on to it roots and was able to push it over to my burn pile, once there pushed it back on it's side to hopefully burn better.

I have yet to figure out how some of you get so many great pictures, I never even think of it until after I'm done , then it's a slap the forehead , I shouldve taken a bunch of pics !

I promise I'll try to work on that.

Anyhow , it's a good testimate what a small tractor with a backhoe can do !:thumbsup:
Hey Scott got on forum now that i have new LS 5030 24 frames aka charlie

/ My biggest stump #66  
Friend of mine had a bunch of trees he asked if I would dig out once he had them cut down. I told him to leave 3-4 feet of the tree intact until we got them loose. Sure, no problem. Apparently the guys he hired to cut the trees didn't get the memo. So, I now have about 25 oak stumps from 5-20" cut off at the ground to deal with. I think he has one that is about 24". I have half a notion to tell him to bore holes in the big ones and use the acid method to soften them up and we'll deal with them next spring.

/ My biggest stump #67  
I just dig a trench around each one and break it loose. I use a full size JD 310A. Prior to that I had a 73 Ford 4500.

Yes even a full size backoe isn't quite enough. Once you break it loose you have to pretty much shove the big ones around cause they will make the hoe do a wheelstand LOL

IMG_2974.jpg

0054.jpg

0019.jpg

0074.jpg

0065.jpg

0078.jpg

DSCN6982.JPG

/ My biggest stump #68  
Friend of mine had a bunch of trees he asked if I would dig out once he had them cut down. I told him to leave 3-4 feet of the tree intact until we got them loose. Sure, no problem. Apparently the guys he hired to cut the trees didn't get the memo. So, I now have about 25 oak stumps from 5-20" cut off at the ground to deal with. I think he has one that is about 24". I have half a notion to tell him to bore holes in the big ones and use the acid method to soften them up and we'll deal with them next spring.