My biggest stump

/ My biggest stump #1  

Bladehauler

Gold Member
Tractor
LS R4047
I finally was able to get this thing out a few days ago, I had to dig down about 8 feet on all sides and thank goodness I had NOT cut it all down first, the top had broke off last year and the power company had cut it down to about 30 feet of height.

I used that extra height and weight to help me lever it out of the hole . once I had it laying down with part of the root ball still in the hole , I backfilled behind it , cut off the top , which by the way my 20" saw wasnt long enough for a single cut , I wrapped a chain around it and tryed to lever the stump up on to the backfill. My little LS could get it started to move but I ran out of tractive effort very quickly.

So on to plan B, bring the Dodge 3500 4x4 down and with it in 4 low hooked up to the chain, and even with a couple of feet run ( which scared the **** out of me for fear of breaking the chain and killing my self ) I still could do no better than I had done with the tractor.

So plan C

My FIL Came down to check on me , Hes 84 , I asked if he would help, so with him in the Dodge and me pushing from behind we got it up some , the dodge could hold it while I back filled some more, and then could push more.

I guess all in all I spent about 2 hours digging it up and about an Hour pulling it out , cutting it up.

once we had it out of the hole , I back filled the hole and was able to push the stump on to it roots and was able to push it over to my burn pile, once there pushed it back on it's side to hopefully burn better.

I have yet to figure out how some of you get so many great pictures, I never even think of it until after I'm done , then it's a slap the forehead , I shouldve taken a bunch of pics !

I promise I'll try to work on that.

Anyhow , it's a good testimate what a small tractor with a backhoe can do !:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    1,020.1 KB · Views: 2,869
  • ForumRunner_20120427_122212.png
    ForumRunner_20120427_122212.png
    614.1 KB · Views: 1,334
   / My biggest stump #2  
Not to hijack.. but.. Is your backhoe plummed into your rear remotes for hydro power or is it powered by a pto pump? Thanks..

/ My biggest stump #4  
Good job.....what do you do with that stump?

/ My biggest stump #6  
Good job. Having the equipment is definitely a plus. But Patience, Stubbornness, and Tenacity are also helpful.:D

/ My biggest stump #7  
Good job, wish I had a backhoe.

/ My biggest stump
Not to hijack.. but.. Is your backhoe plummed into your rear remotes for hydro power or is it powered by a pto pump? Thanks..

It's plumbed into the rear remote and there is a small lock that locks the remote on when the hoe is hooked up so it has flow all the time.

/ My biggest stump #9  
Gotcha.. uses both sets of remotes I assume?