Picked up a new toy for the 4041.... not sure if I'm gonna keep it tho

/ Picked up a new toy for the 4041.... not sure if I'm gonna keep it tho #11  
From what I have seen of grinding videos, on little stumps like you have mentioned, about 5 minutes to get set up and finish grinding them down. Of course grinders are not cheap, and the teeth do wear out. Your stump bucket looked like it worked, just not all that quick.

James K0UA

/ Picked up a new toy for the 4041.... not sure if I'm gonna keep it tho #12  
It sure looked messy though. From what I have seen of stump grinders they do not mess up the ground nearly that much. Even if they take longer by the time you wait for the ground to dry out and then smooth it out I would think the total chore time would somewhat equal out.

/ Picked up a new toy for the 4041.... not sure if I'm gonna keep it tho
I hear what you guys are saying about the time issue, but using this thing on the 4041 really seems to work it hard, and I have a feeling that I'll hurt my loader if I keep trying. Not to mention that I'm only starting out with the small stumps, most of mine are much bigger than the few that I tried so far .

Of course the grinder works the PTO, but I think I've watched every video on youtube relating to it, it looks like it doesn't work the tractor nearly as much as the bucket.

I agree that the stump bucket could come in handy for other things too, especially trenching and digging out rocks, so if I can afford to keep it and get a stump grinder, then that's what I'll do.

On a positive note it was able to pop out saplings and other small trees with little effort... It might be handy for transplanting small trees

/ Picked up a new toy for the 4041.... not sure if I'm gonna keep it tho #14  
Actually a rock/debris bucket is far superior for rocks than the stump bucket and you won't displace so much dirt and it doesn't work the hydraulics nearly as much. So many toys, so little money.

IMG_6118-1.jpg

/ Picked up a new toy for the 4041.... not sure if I'm gonna keep it tho #15  
If you got it "right" I would keep it and still get the grinder as money allows. I used my homemade "shovel" attachment over the weekend to transplant a bunch of Jonquils for the wife.. Saved a lot of hand digging. I think the stump bucket would still be good for smaller things, and I would like to have it.

James K0UA

Actually a rock/debris bucket is far superior for rocks than the stump bucket and you won't displace so much dirt and it doesn't work the hydraulics nearly as much. So many toys, so little money.

View attachment 315850
I would agree about debris and smaller rocks, but for bigger rocks, I'm thinking the narrow tip on the stump-bucket (about 12") and the teeth... would help remove them more than a full width bucket, especially for how much ground you end up disturbing.

K0ua, I agree... only so much "toy-money" to go around, sometimes I have to recycle one to get another. We'll see... I may start shopping around again, but I still need to get a grapple first as I have more immediate uses for that over a grinder.

/ Picked up a new toy for the 4041.... not sure if I'm gonna keep it tho #17  
Neighbor, I'd advise keeping the tree bucket. Even with a BH sometimes you have to loosen things up around a stump before all the roots will break loose, and your technique will improve with time. A friend's 70hp JD BH doesn't snatch 'em out in just one or two dips of the stinger bucket, and I mean medium sized ones like you're digging. IMO you do have enough tractor for such tasks. btw: 'Rip-out power' is rated at the bucket's pivot, and you lose quite a bit to leverage with the long point.

Years ago I had apple stumps ground out. Chip litter in the back-fill didn't help to get grass growing over the spots. Gradual decay of the roots caused mini sinkholes and I was leveling them up for years afterward, not something I'd want to drive more that a mower over for quite a while.

TSO, PM coming your way if you're not sure you have the right tool for the task. I'd love to have something like yours to shuttle white pines around my dunes. :)

/ Picked up a new toy for the 4041.... not sure if I'm gonna keep it tho #18  
TSO,do you think this narrower shape would work any better on your tractor?

S B.jpg S B (1).jpg

/ Picked up a new toy for the 4041.... not sure if I'm gonna keep it tho #19  
TSO, I've had good sucess with my stump bucket on my R3039H. Mine is a bit different design, though. It has a more narrow taper to the back of the bucket, and has the ripper teeth on the bucket edges. I can easily push my bucket into the ground, lift as I back up, and tear through the roots. I've dug out some really deep pine tree stumps with mine. I can actually dig down 5 1/2' with mine. Of course, I had to pay quite a bit more for mine.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!hkFBLYZPf5MBQYdI06j3!~~60_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqV,!hkFBLYZPf5MBQYdI06j3!~~60_3.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 2013-03-17 10.59.13.jpg
    2013-03-17 10.59.13.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 181
  • 2013-03-17 10.53.41.jpg
    2013-03-17 10.53.41.jpg
    675.9 KB · Views: 168
TSO, I've had good sucess with my stump bucket on my R3039H. Mine is a bit different design, though. It has a more narrow taper to the back of the bucket, and has the ripper teeth on the bucket edges. I can easily push my bucket into the ground, lift as I back up, and tear through the roots. I've dug out some really deep pine tree stumps with mine. I can actually dig down 5 1/2' with mine. Of course, I had to pay quite a bit more for mine.

TSO,do you think this narrower shape would work any better on your tractor?

View attachment 315875 View attachment 315876

To be honest... Pine stumps are the least of my worries and aren't in the same class as what I'm digging out, which is mainly oak & maple. I originally looked at the narrower ones, and that's what I was going to order (had I not found this one at auction) based on the same thought-principle that you mention.

However, after using this one (up to about 10 stumps now) I don't think that the narrower version would make much difference, if any, on OUR SIZE tractors. The limiting factor is still the loader strength & dynamics. The actual part of the bucket that is in the ground digging is the narrow tip anyhow, so the ones pictured would have about the same functionality. With that said, I am definitely getting better with it, and learning how to use it better. BUT ... I've been sticking with the smaller stumps.

I just got done removing another 4 stumps, which only took me about 30 mins combined. These were all pretty close together, so ripping through roots of 1 probably also ripped through some of the other roots too. These stumps were ranging from 5-8" I would say. I think that this implement really shines with the smaller stumps like this. I just don't know if I would have the patience or the time (probably take several hours) to dig out one of my bigger stumps, which range from 12"-32", and I have plenty of those still.

5-2-13 011.jpg

5-2-13 013.jpg

5-2-13 014.jpg

5-2-13 015.jpg

5-2-13 019.jpg

5-2-13 020.jpg

5-2-13 021.jpg