Picked up a new toy for the 4041.... not sure if I'm gonna keep it tho

/ Picked up a new toy for the 4041.... not sure if I'm gonna keep it tho #1  

TSO

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1652 HST Cab
Bought a SSQA "stump-bucket" at an auction last week for a pretty good price, finally picked it up today and tried it out on a couple stumps. I can definitely see how these things can come in handy ... IF ... you have the power to run it. I dug out 4 total stumps. The first was about an 10" Maple stump. I got it out in about 5 minutes and only disturbed the dirt 4-5 feet on either side of the stump which I thought was pretty good. The next 3 stumps were about 7" & 8" stumps. The first 2 took about 8 mins apiece, but the last one took about 25 minutes. Now, as a disclaimer, it's rained the last 10 days out of 9 lately (stupid rain) and the ground is pretty soft, not to mention CLAY :mad:

I couldn't get any traction on the last stump and got pretty frustrated and decided to remain bull-headed and get it out... which pretty much destroyed the ground 12 feet on either side of the stump. I almost got it stuck in the muck a few times. But, it finally came out so I guess I won. :confused3:

With that said, I'm not sure if the 4041 is really enough tractor to handle an implement like this. Meaning, I don't know if the loader is strong enough. If it was this much work for 7"-10" stumps, I can't imagine working on a 24" stump. Granted, my "soil" condition is awful right now being so wet/soft, and the dang clay gets really heavy, slick, and sticky this time of year. I may wait a couple more weeks for things to dry up before I give my final opinion --- but at this point I'm thinking I might just put it on Craigslist and see what happens.

Here's some pics in the mean-time. I'll try to get a video up when I can.

100_1454.jpg

100_1440.jpg

100_1442.jpg

100_1443.jpg

100_1448.jpg

/ Picked up a new toy for the 4041.... not sure if I'm gonna keep it tho #2  
How does that saying go, you'll run out of traction way before you run out of power! It was just to wet that's all.

/ Picked up a new toy for the 4041.... not sure if I'm gonna keep it tho
How does that saying go, you'll run out of traction way before you run out of power! It was just to wet that's all.

You might be right... But even still, I just don't know if this loader has the power to rip through roots, especially at 36" out. The U5020 and/or P7010 series might be better suited.

/ Picked up a new toy for the 4041.... not sure if I'm gonna keep it tho #4  
Oh I really have no idea! If I want to remove a stump I take out the trusty rusty rickety backhoe, she aint pretty but she works well most of the time.

/ Picked up a new toy for the 4041.... not sure if I'm gonna keep it tho #5  
Funny thing... I have a P7010.... I'll give ya $250...lol

Funny thing... I have a P7010.... I'll give ya $250...lol

Wow! Such generosity LOL.

Used it again today for an 11" stump. Took me about 20 mins. Way too
long if u ask me. I think this is where I get rid of it and just get a stump grinder.

ForumRunner_20130501_225533.png

ForumRunner_20130501_225543.png

/ Picked up a new toy for the 4041.... not sure if I'm gonna keep it tho #7  
Okay how much do you want, minus wear and tear...lol
Can it be shipped on a pallet or to heavy.
Where are you located.

Okay how much do you want, minus wear and tear...lol
Can it be shipped on a pallet or to heavy.
Where are you located.

48003... But I'm sure it would be expensive to ship. I'm guessing it weighs around 200-300 lbs and it would fit on a pallet.

I paid roughly $425 at the auction when it was all said & done. I'll probably list it on Craigslist for $600, although I'd let it go to another member here for around $400, but shipping will b the expensive part. .

----------
I would like to keep it and just upgrade to the 5020 or 7010... But I think selling it would be a whole lot cheaper
:D

/ Picked up a new toy for the 4041.... not sure if I'm gonna keep it tho #9  
I have a similar designed bucket that I bought when I owned a Bobcat SS. I think you are correct about needing more loader lift cap.
I sold the Bobcat and was ready to sell the bucket, but a friend borrowed it and was using it on his 75 hp New Holland.

Last fall I needed to dig a trench for electric service to my barn. I used the bucket on my 32 HP Kubota. Not as nice as a backhoe, but you can't buy a backhoe for $500.
I wouldn't try to dig out a 10 in stump with the Kubota, but I did find it worthwhile for removing rocks, bushes ect. and planting bushes/ trees.

You don't have the power to really dig stumps, but it can be handy for other uses.

I ended up buying a larger tractor, so now I'm really glad I kept mine, and so is my friend who still uses it more than I do.

Best, Bill

/ Picked up a new toy for the 4041.... not sure if I'm gonna keep it tho #10  
Wow! Such generosity LOL.

Used it again today for an 11" stump. Took me about 20 mins. Way too
long if u ask me. I think this is where I get rid of it and just get a stump grinder.

View attachment 315804

View attachment 315805

Well I am no expert, but just how long do you think it will take to grind a stump with a stump grander? From what I understand grinding a stump is a long boring process. Just what I have heard others say no real proof.