Brush Hog Size

/ Brush Hog Size #1  

woodsman74881

Tractor
LS U5020/LS G3033/Ford 8N
I have recently (a few months ago) bought a G3033. Its time to start tending to pastures. I have a 5' and a 6' brush hog. Will the G3033 handle the 6 foot hog alright. If anyone has tried it or knows I would like to know. LS does not give any data, and my dealer was marginal help. Thanks

/ Brush Hog Size #2  
I don't have a specific answer, but I think that's going to be right at the limit. Most 6' rotary cutters are going to need at least 25-30hp to run properly. The good thing is, you already have the solution if it doesn't work out!

/ Brush Hog Size #3  
I think it depends more on what you are cutting with it. If its mostly grass, you will probably be fine. I know I have run a 5' brush hog behind a farmall A...... LOL

/ Brush Hog Size #4  
I've been told that the general rule of thumb is 5 PTO hp per foot of implement. So, 25 pto hp for a 5ft Bhog, 30 for a 6'er.

However, that ratio can be adjusted for the job at hand. If the material you're B-hogging isn't too thick, you might b able to make it 4hp/implement foot. And if it's crazy thick stuff, you may want to change it to 6hp/foot.

/ Brush Hog Size
Thanks for all of the advice. That helps. I have always had larger tractors, so it has not ever been a question as to what will work. I like having a compact tractor, just have to learn what works best with it.

/ Brush Hog Size #6  
If you are cutting heavy tall grass I would think that 30 hp would be short by a good bit for a 6 ft hog. I know a 7 ft can pull hard in places with 75 hp.

/ Brush Hog Size #7  
I have a G3038H which is not much bigger than yours and I pull a 6' Medium Duty shredder with no issues.. And Lord knows, I get into some seriously abusive brush at times and it grinds right on through..