Buying a new tractor

/ Buying a new tractor #1  

Don172

Tractor
LS G3033
Hello
I am new to tractors and have been wanting to buy a tractor for a couple of years now. It is finally getting close to the time that i can buy one and i visited the LS dealer today which just increased my excitement. I have pretty much settled on a G3033, but my big question is do i want a back hoe. The question of want is yes because i just had it in my head for a long time that i need one. But for 5-7 thousand dollars do i really need it. I was thinking of doing some ditch work and pulling stumps amongst other things. The sales man kinda steered me away by saying that if you are not going to use it much its kind of a waste of money which i appreciate that. It definitely makes the tractor more affordable. he quoted me 22500 with a backhoe and 16400 for tractor and front end loader. Looking for some input. Is the backhoe needed for pulling stumps or can you get most of them with the front end loader? You guys that have a backhoe how much do u really use it and what for? I know that if i ever want to have one it will be cheaper to get it now as apposed to later.
Thanks for any input.

/ Buying a new tractor #2  
I bought the Backhoe cause I can afford it. Have not put it on this year. If you got the cash go for it otherwise rent a mini ex for your stumps and stuff.Happy Hunting and check other dealers around your area.

/ Buying a new tractor #3  
Murph has a point. You can get a lot of rental for $5K. LS is a great tractor. My R3039H is a week old and I love it!
RJ

/ Buying a new tractor #4  
Don172,

Take a long hard look at how much work you really have that you need a backhoe for. Can it all be done in a few days or even a week? A rental mini-excavator rents for $150-300 delivered to your site and is usually faster working than a backhoe.

/ Buying a new tractor #5  
Here's my cheap advice: Forget the backhoe and go up one size in your tractor selection to an R series tractor ----- unless you've got some really small places to get into, you'll appreciate the added capability by going up a size.

/ Buying a new tractor #6  
I have never regretted having the back hoe. Any spur of the moment honey do jobs (plant a bush, dig a stump, move a rock from the brook etc) is done in a few minutes. I may only use it 3-4 times a summer but rentals are a pain, so I am happy to have the BH. Addition of a thumb makes it easy to put stumps or most anything into the back of the truck for those dump runs. Or just dig a hole and bury them.
Front Loader is not good for and not make for digging IMO.

/ Buying a new tractor
Thanks for the input, i appreicate the advice. I think if i can swing it I will get the backhoe because i think i will make good use of it. I am hoping to make a purchase in the next month or so.

/ Buying a new tractor #8  
Thanks for the input, i appreicate the advice. I think if i can swing it I will get the backhoe because i think i will make good use of it. I am hoping to make a purchase in the next month or so.
I don't think you will regret having the backhoe. I use mine all the time for digging stumps, digging around dead trees and uprooting them, cleaning out my small creek when it gets stopped up with weeds and loose limbs, stacking dead wood into a burn pile, digging up rocks (my place grows a new crop every winter)and some of them are BIG. Much of the work I do would likely go not done with out my back hoe. Renting is expensive and time consuming to go 20 miles or more to rental place, load up and haul home and then do it again when finished. Most of my chores don't take but a few minutes but sometimes need to be done pretty quickly or they will be forgotten, like finding a big rock or tree root when mowing, if you don't dig it when you find it, you will forget till it gets above ground enough to damage a mower blade. Rock and tree roots continually grow above ground and eventually bite the mower blades if not dealt with.
I may not use my TLB for a week or month, but it is there when I need it and I can get the job done and finished in less time than it takes to hook up a trailer. I would love to have an excavator for some items but I can usually get by with the TLB.

If you do get the back hoe, bite the bullet and get one with a hydraulic thumb. A mechanical thumb is better than nothing but a hydraulic thumb is so much better and well worth the additional cost. I can actually pick up a softball sized rock with mine and stack it where I want to (within reach that is)

To demonstrate the value of a hydraulic thumb, just put your thumb on a table and don't move it, then pretend your fingers are the bucket. You will see that in any fixed position, the thumb could interfere with bucket use and would have to be manually moved to use your bucket and then moved again if it needs to be moved forward to pick up a smaller object.

/ Buying a new tractor
I don't think you will regret having the backhoe. I use mine all the time for digging stumps, digging around dead trees and uprooting them, cleaning out my small creek when it gets stopped up with weeds and loose limbs, stacking dead wood into a burn pile, digging up rocks (my place grows a new crop every winter)and some of them are BIG. Much of the work I do would likely go not done with out my back hoe. Renting is expensive and time consuming to go 20 miles or more to rental place, load up and haul home and then do it again when finished. Most of my chores don't take but a few minutes but sometimes need to be done pretty quickly or they will be forgotten, like finding a big rock or tree root when mowing, if you don't dig it when you find it, you will forget till it gets above ground enough to damage a mower blade. Rock and tree roots continually grow above ground and eventually bite the mower blades if not dealt with.
I may not use my TLB for a week or month, but it is there when I need it and I can get the job done and finished in less time than it takes to hook up a trailer. I would love to have an excavator for some items but I can usually get by with the TLB.

If you do get the back hoe, bite the bullet and get one with a hydraulic thumb. A mechanical thumb is better than nothing but a hydraulic thumb is so much better and well worth the additional cost. I can actually pick up a softball sized rock with mine and stack it where I want to (within reach that is)

To demonstrate the value of a hydraulic thumb, just put your thumb on a table and don't move it, then pretend your fingers are the bucket. You will see that in any fixed position, the thumb could interfere with bucket use and would have to be manually moved to use your bucket and then moved again if it needs to be moved forward to pick up a smaller object.

Thanks I agree that there are alot of little things I would do with the backhoe and it would be nice to just have it around for whenever its needed. And i would love to have the hydraulic thumb. Do you know roughly what that costs?

/ Buying a new tractor #10  
Thanks I agree that there are alot of little things I would do with the backhoe and it would be nice to just have it around for whenever its needed. And i would love to have the hydraulic thumb. Do you know roughly what that costs?

Check with Michigan Iron, but about I think about $450 to $1000 depending on size, weld on or bolt on.

I have mechanical thumb, it is fine, but does get in the way once in awhile when you are both digging and pulling stumps.