Looking at a LS Tractor

/ Looking at a LS Tractor #1  

tmiller

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 8n Massey Ferguson 255 Massey Ferguson 265 NEW!!! Mccormick CX75
Looking for a good tractor to mow my grass with either a rear pto finish mower or a mid mount. A must for me is that it will handle at least 72" (6') finish mower. I currently use a 8N with the 6' finish mower but im tired of issues always coming up with it. I will not be putting a loader on it, just the mower. I already have a 75 horse farm tractor for my loader tractor and that i do everything around the farm with, im just simply looking for a grass cutting tractor. Not sure what HP i would need and also not sure about these tractors, wanted to hear from people that have had them for awhile. Ive narrowed it down between LS and massey ferguson. Any info anyone can give me would be great about the size i should get, HP and how you like yours would be great!
Thanks
Taylor

/ Looking at a LS Tractor #2  
I think you could go with one of several models, and be happy. You could probably drop down in size to a G3038 and run a 6'+ finish mower easily. My R4047H has 39HP at the PTO, and runs a 90" RFM like it isn't even there. I wouldn't be surprised if a G3038 with 31HP at the PTO would run the same mower just fine. My 4047 hasn't done anything but drink diesel since I got it. I bent a rear stabilizer bar, and a bracket on the FEL, but both were entirely my fault, and not a problem with the machine. I'd definitely buy one again!

/ Looking at a LS Tractor #3  
Well you already know that the 8N will run the mower and what does it have like 23 - 24HP at the PTO or so anything above that should be good and the LS's are diesel not gas so even better. My Montana is an LS its a 2009 and I only had one problem and that was a leak at the drive shaft totally covered and fixed now best I could figure it was built on Monday or Friday!:laughing: I really like mine and have had many nice complements on it especially from my cousin who borrowed it to load round bales and he is a real farmer. If I am not mistaken LS makes some 2 wheel drive models that may be all you need for mowing as long as you have the larger tractor.

/ Looking at a LS Tractor #4  
Does LS even sell these compact tractors without loaders? With the exception of pictures online, I've never seen new ones advertised, or in a lot , without a loader.

/ Looking at a LS Tractor #5  
Well you already know that the 8N will run the mower and what does it have like 23 - 24HP at the PTO or so anything above that should be good and the LS's are diesel not gas so even better. My Montana is an LS its a 2009 and I only had one problem and that was a leak at the drive shaft totally covered and fixed now best I could figure it was built on Monday or Friday!:laughing: I really like mine and have had many nice complements on it especially from my cousin who borrowed it to load round bales and he is a real farmer. If I am not mistaken LS makes some 2 wheel drive models that may be all you need for mowing as long as you have the larger tractor.

Ls does make a 2 wheel drive G3038 tractor. They are around $2500.00 less than a 4wd tractor. I would keep in mind that LS has a free loader program for cash or std rate. A new tractor invoiced this way is only $200.00 more with a loader than one with out, this is the install charge. For the little bit extra this would be a good move. The loaders remove easy,and you could install it when needed. I think most importantly would be the resale value in the case you ever had to sell it or trade it in. Compact tractors are a hard sell used with out a loader. Also I have customers mowing with a 72" rear discharge finish mower and the G3033 gear shift tractor with no problem.But the extra HP of the 38 is allways good.
l

/ Looking at a LS Tractor
i like the idea of 2wd and if i were to buy one the loader would be free? just the cost of installation? The only reason I didnt want one is because of the big tractor i already have with a loader, guess i just need to talk to my dealer and go from there.
Thanks!