Tractor size for clearing trees?

/ Tractor size for clearing trees? #1  

kingrace78

Bronze Member
Tractor
AC D14, LS XR4046H
A tornado went through my property last Sunday, cut a 500' path through the middle. I have hundreds of trees down that I need to decide what to do with. This spring I was set to buy a R4041h but was too late, all was sold. (I did not like the idea of the price increase and tier 4 engines of the new models)
Will a xr4040h be able to handle a large enough brush grapple to help me move debri around? Or would I need a larger tractor?
Thanks John

/ Tractor size for clearing trees? #2  
John it really depends on how small of pieces you want to cut the trees into (before moving) & how many "trips" you are willing to make. I'm a bigger the better type, while considering the toy budget in there somewhere. iGood luck.

/ Tractor size for clearing trees? #3  
A tornado went through my property last Sunday, cut a 500' path through the middle. I have hundreds of trees down that I need to decide what to do with. This spring I was set to buy a R4041h but was too late, all was sold. (I did not like the idea of the price increase and tier 4 engines of the new models)
Will a xr4040h be able to handle a large enough brush grapple to help me move debri around? Or would I need a larger tractor?
Thanks John

John how big are the trees.. how big at the base, and how long? My first thought is sure, the xr4040h is a pretty good sized tractor. The loader with grapple should be able to lift close to a ton of tree and put it somewhere else. So yeah probably big enough to do what you want to do, unless they are giant sequoias in Kansas.:)

/ Tractor size for clearing trees? #4  
John also please don't forget that with the grapple one one end of the tractor lifting a heavy load, you will need a suitable counterweight on the 3pt. end of the tractor. Something around 1200 lbs up close or it could be lighter in the form of an implement that sticks out like a heavy duty bush hog or heavy duty box blade. But if you want ballast with minimum stick out for maneuverability you will need around 1200 or more lbs.

/ Tractor size for clearing trees? #5  
The decider, based on the information you've included so far is "time". I previously had a 44hp Kubota that I did a LOT of Grapple work with. After awhile my patience wore a little thin so I sold it and moved up. Not solely for that reason though because I had an Agricultural use for a larger tractor which made the move up easier to swallow. Now I'd hate to go back.

I think what's most important here is what are you going to do with the tractor after you are done clearing trees?? Be kinda silly to have a larger tractor to do lawn work with next Fall.

/ Tractor size for clearing trees? #6  
The decider, based on the information you've included so far is "time". I previously had a 44hp Kubota that I did a LOT of Grapple work with. After awhile my patience wore a little thin so I sold it and moved up. Not solely for that reason though because I had an Agricultural use for a larger tractor which made the move up easier to swallow. Now I'd hate to go back.

I think what's most important here is what are you going to do with the tractor after you are done clearing trees?? Be kinda silly to have a larger tractor to do lawn work with next Fall.

I don't know about that. I have always thought that it would be sort of cool to have a 40' wide lawn and a 20" mower to mow with. A trip down and back and you're all done. :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

/ Tractor size for clearing trees? #7  
The larger, heavier the grapple the less load it can pick up. I know that is obvious, but the tendency is to think big beefy grapples can carry more weight. More brush volume, yes, but not more weight.

/ Tractor size for clearing trees? #9  
Thanks John
If a tornado blew over trees with root ball attached, you aren't going to find any tractor big enough to lift or carry that even if you cut the trunk off if the trees are 20" trunk diameter or larger Oaks. The root ball is just too large. Rather than trying to find a tractor to do this job, consider hiring a dozer to push everything into a pile for you. This wont take a D6 or larger dozer but a few hours, likely just the minimum cost to push the trees into a pile for later burning. He could just windrow them, pushing for each side to the middle and then pushing the whole pile together if it isn't large enough for a burn so you would have a few large individual piles rather than a long row. It all depends on your tree density, but a D6 or D7 dozer can push a large pile of brush and trees. A root rake on the dozer is what I would be looking for so you get minimum dirt mixed in. Around here, that size dozer goes for about $85 per hours with 4 hour minimum.

You didn't specify how long the 500 foot swathe is but normal forest concentration would be easily done at about 100 feet length per hour of time.

/ Tractor size for clearing trees? #10  
D9 cat.

Working in the woods with a tractor tends to leave it beaten and dented to bits. There will be no dangling wires or hoses left either.