Engine Changes After Low Fuel

/ Engine Changes After Low Fuel #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
Last night I accidentally let the fuel level get too low. I was busy working and not paying attention to the fuel level. The engine started running very rough and shuttering. I eventually saw the fuel change and shut the tractor off. I refilled the tank and started it back up. It started fine, but ran a little rough for a while.

Eventually it smoothed out, but I noticed that the exhaust pipe was noticeably louder afterwards. When there is a load on the motor, like climbing a hill, the exhaust changes and gets really loud. Before this, I could never hear the exhaust and only heard the engine. I'm a little concerned now. I followed the manual and bled any air from the filter and also the bleed valve on the fuel pump but that did not make any difference. I'm at a loss here.

/ Engine Changes After Low Fuel #2  
I know of nothing in the fuel or injectors that would make the exhaust louder. Some engines don't have to be bleed when running out of fuel other than the bleed screws on the filters and injection pump. Looks like you may have one of those. Look for something else regarding your high exhaust noise level.

/ Engine Changes After Low Fuel #3  
Check your exhaust system bolts and clamps. You may have a loose connection. Should not be related to running low on fuel. How many hours on the machine? Is it possible you have a hole in the muffler from rust.

/ Engine Changes After Low Fuel
It's a brand new machine. 16 hours on it.

I'll check the exhaust system, but it's not like an exhaust leak. It's just noticeably louder coming out of the end of the pipe. And it has a whole new sound even. A little higher pitched a "tin-ey" sound. Sounds like an old Case backhoe that my dad just to have.

It also seems to not have as much power and is idling about 100 to 150 rpms higher than it used to.

/ Engine Changes After Low Fuel #7  
Did you bleed air at the injectors. Didn't know it only had 16 hrs. It may require a call to the dealer under warranty.

/ Engine Changes After Low Fuel #8  
Can you check the fuel filter and see if there is anything in it, same fuel you used when you last put fuel in it . Some times it takes awhile to get air worked out of the system.

Nothing in the fuel filter. I used the same fuel as before. Looks like it's going back to the dealer.

Now it looks like I've gotten myself in bigger trouble. I re-bled the fuel lines again just to make sure there wasn't any more air in the lines. I followed the manual directions just like before and now the tractor will not start at all. It will hit one or twice and then it will die.