3038H PTO shaft freewheeling

/ 3038H PTO shaft freewheeling #1  

Tarnold

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ls 3038h, ford 1900
Is there a way to get the PTO shaft to freely move when hooking up. Having a hard time lining up the splines. Having to use a crow bar in the yoke to turn the blades on the cutter to try to line up is hard on everything, especially me.

/ 3038H PTO shaft freewheeling #2  
Is there a way to get the PTO shaft to freely move when hooking up. Having a hard time lining up the splines. Having to use a crow bar in the yoke to turn the blades on the cutter to try to line up is hard on everything, especially me.

No if I am not mistaken the newer tractors have a brake on the PTO to prevent freewheeling!

/ 3038H PTO shaft freewheeling #3  

No, the brake prevents this. The easy solution is to make an adapter out of a PTO shaft extension, and a cheap wrench, or length of steel pipe. Then you slip the extension over the PTO shaft, and turn with the length of pipe...won't be a problem overcoming the brake.

/ 3038H PTO shaft freewheeling #4  
try cutting the tractor off, some models will free wheel then

/ 3038H PTO shaft freewheeling #5  
try cutting the tractor off, some models will free wheel then

My R4047 stayed locked up whether the engine was running or not...think the G series is the same. It seems to be the norm with most machines now, although some tractors are starting to show up with a way to override the brake.

/ 3038H PTO shaft freewheeling #6  
My J series rear PTO will freewheel when I select the mid-PTO.