i Started my motor backwards

/ i Started my motor backwards #1  

BLUE ME

Silver Member
Tractor
LS 2023H
Slipped when i went to start it and only bumped the key.
Started backward.
shut it right off.
Make sure to fully engage starter
Cheers
:drink:
100_0696.JPG
100_0695.JPG
about 260 hours now

/ i Started my motor backwards #2  
Yikes, what did that sound like?

/ i Started my motor backwards #3  
My engine ran backwards on me once. I was pushing a tree with my front end loader, and as I was pushing, I pressed the clutch just as the engine was about to die, and the tree sprung backwards and I let out the clutch again as the tree was pushing me backwards, and the engine cranked back up running backwards.

Black smoke came out of the air intake and it scared the crap out of me. I shut it off with the key within 2 seconds or so and called the mechanic. I didn't know what was going on. When I explained to him what happened, he knew right away what happened.

I was relieved when he said there should be no damage. There wasn't any.

/ i Started my motor backwards #4  
It's not uncommon for this to happen in a near stall or it you hit the key at the right time on a Kick back. I have never seen any major damage done, but I would check your air filter good as some times the hot exhaust will burn a hole in it.

If ran for more than a few sec, I have seen it set them on fire.

/ i Started my motor backwards #5  
What is it running on? Is fuel being injected during this? Depend on the pump?

/ i Started my motor backwards #6  
This happened to me 30+ years ago in 1972 Mack Truck. I was on the wheat harvest and we had a tandem axe Mack with a 700+ bushel box on it. I was waiting in the elevator line which of course was right next to the railroad tracks (the main line going East/West in southern Nebraska) and the farmer we were working for decided he wanted me to not wait so that we did not hold up the combines - just have the truck weighed and then go dump at a bin site. So I am starting to get this old girl moving - keep in mind I was grossing about 69,000 lbs - and starting to cross the tracks when the bells started dinging. I looked down the tracks and this was a high speed line - about 60 mph at the time - and that train was too close for me to get across the tracks - so I jammed it in reverse let the clutch out and the truck was still moving forward. Fortunately I had seen one of these run backward about a week before (the 1st time I had heard of it) so I knew what was happening and jammed it in 1st and let the clutch out much slower and started going backwards. Of course the crossing arm was lying on top of the truck now but I didn't care as I got back off of those tracks. Let's just say it was a very memorable series of events. Yes diesels will run backwards. The Mack had an oil type air cleaner on it which did get cleared out by the exhaust. I just shut it off and started it up - no issues.

/ i Started my motor backwards #7  
Didn't know this could happen. Guess if it ever happens to me it will be obvious and I'll know immediately and shut 'er down.

/ i Started my motor backwards #8  
I never would have imagined such occurance could hap:confused2:n... And glad to know no serious damage could be done on a short run.:eek:

/ i Started my motor backwards #9  
I had never heard of this either, interesting.