Seat Empty Engine Cutoff Switch?

/ Seat Empty Engine Cutoff Switch? #1  

danisiri

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060HDC12
I have a LS XR4040H. If everything is in neutral (gear shifter, pedals), PTO is off, and parking brake is on, should I be able to lift myself off the seat without the engine cutting off? Or is that a safety feature? It is a hassle every time I want to just do a minor adjustment to my box blade that I have to turn off the tractor and turn it back on. I don't want to put more wear than necessary on the starter. Plus, it doesn't always start up again right away, which the dealer is still trying to figure out what is wrong there.

Thanks!

/ Seat Empty Engine Cutoff Switch? #2  
I have a LS XR4040H. If everything is in neutral (gear shifter, pedals), PTO is off, and parking brake is on, should I be able to lift myself off the seat without the engine cutting off? Or is that a safety feature? It is a hassle every time I want to just do a minor adjustment to my box blade that I have to turn off the tractor and turn it back on. I don't want to put more wear than necessary on the starter. Plus, it doesn't always start up again right away, which the dealer is still trying to figure out what is wrong there.

Thanks!

I wouldn't think it should cut off, I agree that would be a hassle. My 3033 didn't come with one.

/ Seat Empty Engine Cutoff Switch? #3  
I have the XR3037HC. If the brake is on, PTO off, and tractor not moving you should be able to get off the seat no matter what position the range selector is in. You can also get off the seat without the brake on but you'll hear that annoying beeper go off to remind you to set the brake. I often start mine from outside the cab to let it warm up.

/ Seat Empty Engine Cutoff Switch?
Talked to the dealer again....they are going to pickup the tractor and give it a thorough check to see what is up. They also believe that the problem lies with the HST pedal switch not registering neutral. I think that switch just needs to be replaced. At least the problem is testable by getting off the seat. Before it was just a random failure to start.

BTW, my dealer is RCO in Greenville. They have been very good about treating us well and trying to get the problem resolved even though they are so busy selling tractors, lol.

/ Seat Empty Engine Cutoff Switch? #5  
Very likely that is the problem. You should be able to get off the seat regardless of the shifter postion or brake position as long as the HST pedales are "neutral".

My R4047 even lets me slightly depress the pedals and creep forward before it registers the tractor is in motion and shuts down. I started to fix this and realized it quite handy when hooknig up FEL attachments. I can stand and creep foward seeing if the SSQA plate is properly engaged. And when I say creep, I mean a 10-20 feet per minute kind of creep.

/ Seat Empty Engine Cutoff Switch? #6  
Talked to the dealer again....they are going to pickup the tractor and give it a thorough check to see what is up.

BTW, my dealer is RCO in Greenville. They have been very good about treating us well and trying to get the problem resolved even though they are so busy selling tractors, lol.

Good stuff, Mate. No matter what colour tractor you have, a great dealership/service is the best! :thumbsup:

/ Seat Empty Engine Cutoff Switch? #7  
I have been trying to think of any reason I shouldn't bypass my seat switch on my XR4046h. Once I take my foot off the hst pedal it isn't going anywhere.

It already starts whether you are in the seat or not.
I was thinking I would lose my beep when I start to drive when the park brake is still engaged, but I shouldn't. It is expecting me to be in the seat when that happens.
Ive been in the habit of setting the parking brake long before I got a tractor with a reminder.
It started being a habit when I parked my old MF 135 on what I thought was level ground with a round bale on back while I opened a gate, I was thinking why is the sound of my tractor engine getting more quite??? I turned around and it was rolling backwards toward the deep end of the pond. I couldn't catch it but five strands of barbed wire and one mangled post barely did...

/ Seat Empty Engine Cutoff Switch? #8  
hd5... as good a memory or habit that you have, you only have to forget once.

Your 135 is (at least) a 40yo tractor, before the introduction of that safety switch.