LS 7040 for hay making??

/ LS 7040 for hay making?? #1  

Rls4020

Tractor
John deere
We have been looking at tractor for making hay and other tasks around our cattle farm. We make roughly 200 or so acres of hay a year and was looking for a tractor to run our disc mower. I am not familiar with ls but have heard good things. Our current mowing tractor is a jd5420 its a 2004 and has 3300 mainly trouble free hrs. Will the ls 7040 hold up to actually farming, not just chores and hobby type work?

/ LS 7040 for hay making?? #2  
Hang on I am sure someone will chime in I don't have anything that large so I am no help but I know some others are using theirs for haying.

/ LS 7040 for hay making?? #3  
I have the P7030 which is the 88 hp version and have 300 hours of trouble free operation. With 40 forward speeds, 540/750/1000 Pto and electronic Hi/Lo it compares well to the features of a Deere M series, at a good price savings.

The real question is can you live with the blue color, sometimes the green grows on you! :)

/ LS 7040 for hay making??
Well that is good to hear. I am debating a used tractor vs going new with the ls. I'll admit I am very Leary of the ls as I hadn't heard of them until 6 months ago. I have heard lots of good things about them though. I have always been a "Deere" guy since I was a kid, we have a 4020,5020,5420, and 4050, but when it comes to my money being spent I want the best bang for the buck, and if ls is it them I just may add a blue tractor to the farm.

/ LS 7040 for hay making?? #5  
I have a 7040 with about 400 hrs.Front wheel bearings were replaced as well as shifting cables and assembly.Now the lower fwd bearings are out and chipped a ring gear.All in all i love this tractor but it doesnt seem to hold up very well,mostly the frontend.I mow about 180 acres with it and is is underpowered for a 10' 4" discbine mower.The service department has been very good but the warranty is only 5 years.Front loader works great but windshield wiper motors seem to burn up too.These are common problems with this series as i see them in the shop all the time.It is the same as certain cnh and newholland tractors but im sure they have the same issues

/ LS 7040 for hay making?? #6  
LS is an outstanding brand but I am of the opinion that in the larger frame sizes (over 80 HP to me) I think JD is more crop oriented. Kubota is now focusing on up to 170 HP to get in the ag market as well. I think Kubota is sliding up to larger sizes due to LS and others competing in the CUT market. In that segment LS makes a very fine tractor until they decide to expand into a larger frame tractor. Just my $0.02.

/ LS 7040 for hay making?? #7  
I am starting my third year baling hay with my smaller u5030. I cut with a Reese 2070W drum mower, use my Kubota B7800 to pull my New Holland 268 RollaBar rake (mostly for the tighter turning radius at the end of the windrows) and pull the Vermeer 5400 Rebel round baler making 4x5's with the U5030. I have had no issues at all with using this setup. I only cut about 100 acres twice a year.

/ LS 7040 for hay making?? #8  
I have a 7040 with about 400 hrs.Front wheel bearings were replaced as well as shifting cables and assembly.Now the lower fwd bearings are out and chipped a ring gear.All in all i love this tractor but it doesnt seem to hold up very well,mostly the frontend.I mow about 180 acres with it and is is underpowered for a 10' 4" discbine mower.The service department has been very good but the warranty is only 5 years.Front loader works great but windshield wiper motors seem to burn up too.These are common problems with this series as i see them in the shop all the time.It is the same as certain cnh and newholland tractors but im sure they have the same issues
The 7040 is a Rebadged New Holland. I only know that the small New Holland are rebadged LS's.

The 7040 is a Rebadged New Holland. I only know that the small New Holland are rebadged LS's.

I don't think the larger machines are the same.

We ended up buying a junk my 8260 that we will be selling, so any more/new information on the ls would be appreciated

New Holland 8260 (not my)