Tier 4 issues

/ Tier 4 issues #1  

bgd8953

Tractor
LS 4046c, Ford 1910, NH TL80
Disappointed in the tier 4 engine in the XR4046, a performance issue that was not something I knew about when I purchased 7 mos ago. When running the PTO at 540, the engine runs at 2400rpms, when then regen starts, the engine power is reduced by 50% or limited to 1800rpms, in my case the engine quit, and would not start for quite some time. I had to let it sit, and when I finally got it started, I had to let it idle for 40 mins and let it go through the regen cycle, and I could perform no work during this period. Kinda tough when you have a PTO powered implement on it. I would not recommend this if your using it for farming where your rpms are above 1800rpms for an extended period of time. The unit is in with the dealer for not only this, but steering hyraulic groaning, and a surging trottle. I like the build of the LS, and probably need to step up to a higher HP tractor, in a tier 3 configuration. I'm hoping to work this out with the dealer. :(

/ Tier 4 issues #2  
Is this normal operation for the regen cycle on LS tractors? With my NH I have been using my discbine cutting hay on hills at PTO RPM and have gone through regens before with no noticeable decrease in power. I hope the dealer can sort this out for you.

/ Tier 4 issues #3  
yeah, something about that does not sound right -- pretty sure that is not the way that works by design. I hope they get that figured out for you too.

/ Tier 4 issues #4  
It is normal depending on how much soot buildup there is in the DPF. If the soot in the DPF is anywhere between 60-100% it goes in regen mode and work or use of the tractor can be continued.

When the soot level exceeds that point and is between 100-140% it continues regen but also the engine derates 50% and RPM is limited to 1800 RPM. At this point you have to stop work and let the regeneration process complete.

If the soot level exceeds 140% the engine will shut down and you may require the dealer to fix it.

Ive never experienced the 100-140% (or over 140%) soot load with RPM reduction but have gone through many normal regen cycles with no problem.

This is just my opinion but I believe the quality of the fuel used affects the amount of soot buildup. I have always used an additive (Power Service w/ cetane booster) in my fuel. I don't know if that has kept my soot levels below 100%, fuel quality or I'm just not working the machine hard enough. Ask your dealer if a cetane booster additive would help.
Your surging throttle makes me think it may be a fuel related issue. May be poor quality, low cetane, moisture in fuel, or something else. Grasping at straws here just throwing out some ideas.

I've run a PTO flail mower for 4-5 hours and went into regen during that time without slowing down.

/ Tier 4 issues #5  
I have over 225 hrs and mine has never reduced power when in regen. The only way I know it is in regen mode are the dash lights. RPMs have never went down, ever.

/ Tier 4 issues #6  
I will add I remember my dealer said there were some throttle issues. Maybe a throttle control sensor?. He said mine had already been replaced before I purchased it. I think LS had a bulletin/recall on it. May want to ask about that.

/ Tier 4 issues
Is this normal operation for the regen cycle on LS tractors? With my NH I have been using my discbine cutting hay on hills at PTO RPM and have gone through regens before with no noticeable decrease in power. I hope the dealer can sort this out for you.

I hope he can figure it also, I really do like the tractor. But it is disappointing, I never had a tractor that needed to take a break. :eek:

/ Tier 4 issues #8  
I hope i dont offend you guys but....
This tier 4 is a bunch of crap! I bought my bx25 new and if i upgrade someday i will have to find a used tractor to avoid tier4.. Who would want a complicated workhorse? Diesels should be simple and reliable, and with these new probs popping up how are they gonna run in 10 years from now?? Sorry for the rant lol

/ Tier 4 issues
One of the first things the dealer asked me was about the fuel, I use off road diesel from a local chain store, which has a pretty good turn over on their fuel, he didn't feel that would be the issue. On his initial assesment, the tractor had only a 2% soot level when they hooked it up to the computer. The first time this happened to me, I was just driving it to another farm, and it went into the 50% power limit mode, which made it a longer than usual ride. Also, I had never seen the engine warning indicator come on with the regen lights as it did on what was supposed to be a short ride. This last episode, all of the lights came on, and it shut off, and it would not restart for a while, but finally did and I let it sit in the regen mode, on the side of a hill with the brush hog. When I spoke to the dealer last week, he said possibly I was getting false indications that it was regenerating normally, and in fact it wasn't. A complicated fix I'm sure, with the engine surging included. It's good to hear that you've run yours at a high rpm for an extended period and it went into regen without issue, hopefully mine can get resolved, I realy do like the LS tractor. Reminising, I really do miss the simplicity of the older tractors.

/ Tier 4 issues
Will do, thanks