3-Point Hitch Strange Whoosing Sound

/ Strange Whoosing Sound #1  

PaOkie

Tractor
Looking to Buy
Strange Whooshing Sound

I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I have a XU5065 with about 30 hours on it. Initially I have some issues with it regarding electrical and as it turned out there was a ground wire up near the cab behind the engine that was never attached. Once attached tractor ran like a top. So the other day I was discing a field and when I got to the end of the row and raised the plow I got a very loud, distinctive whooshing sound. I was pretty much done for the day so I parked it and tried to replicate the sound and sure enough with the tractor parked and RPMs up around 2400 I raised the plow and same whooshing sound. I have tried this several times with the tractor both hot and cold and same thing happens, if I put load on the hydraulics the whooping sound occurs. It almost sounds like a rush of air being blown off or like a turbo surge (but the RPMs stay consistent or even fall a bit so don't believe it is the turbo). I have plenty of hydraulic fluid so I am at a loss until I can talk to the dealer so wanted to see if anyone has had this kind of issue, what it might be and how to resolve. Thanks

Last edited:
   / Strange Whoosing Sound #2  
I would have the dealer check the 3 point linkages. It's sound close to where it should be raising and shutting off to where it is not shutting off. The linkage is not stopping the flow of fluid at the end of the 3 point rise and deadheading a little. Just lower you 3 point a little if it stops then noise that could be it.

/ Strange Whoosing Sound
I would have the dealer check the 3 point linkages. It's sound close to where it should be raising and shutting off to where it is not shutting off. The linkage is not stopping the flow of fluid at the end of the 3 point rise and deadheading a little. Just lower you 3 point a little if it stops then noise that could be it.

Thanks for the response. Yeah the whooshing sounds appears to be coming from the engine compartment every time I raise the three point. Have not tried it without a plow attached but definitely happens with a plow on and above 2000 RPM.

/ Strange Whoosing Sound #4  
My XU5065CPS doesn't whoosh when lifting 3PH implements at PTO speeds... or maybe it does and the engine noise and cab just mask it. Around idle the engine does automatically increase in noise when operating hydraulics. Haven't watched tach to see if RPMs increasing too. One theory is the tractor is designed to surge or load engine momentarily when building hydraulic pump pressure (regardless of operating RPMs) and the blow off valve is wasting extra boost since you're already at ~2400 RPMs? Or maybe Shibaura equipped yours with an "extra whooshy" BOV? LOL...

Will be sure to pay attention next time, and will follow thread with interest to see what the noise is.