Ls 3039 front axel breather and dip stick

/ Ls 3039 front axel breather and dip stick #1  

old gray

Silver Member
Tractor
ls 3039 gear
My owners manual shows a dip stick on the right outer front axel area. Mine has a plastic breather. Part of it may have broken off. I am concerned that water will get in
it. Also I ordered a dip stick to replace it. I am now thinking that it needs to breath, so I better not plug it with a dip stick. ( The dip stick screws into the axel and seals it tight) Any one have any info on this? Thanks in advance.

/ Ls 3039 front axel breather and dip stick #2  
My owners manual shows a dip stick on the right outer front axel area. Mine has a plastic breather. Part of it may have broken off. I am concerned that water will get in
it. Also I ordered a dip stick to replace it. I am now thinking that it needs to breath, so I better not plug it with a dip stick. ( The dip stick screws into the axel and seals it tight) Any one have any info on this? Thanks in advance.

The blue cap on the right does not come off (or isn't supposed to). On the top of the left there is a big bolt ... that is the dip stick. Once you unscrew that big bolt on the top you will see a rubber seal and a dip stick with hash marks on it to determine the fluid level.

/ Ls 3039 front axel breather and dip stick
The blue cap on the right does not come off (or isn't supposed to). On the top of the left there is a big bolt ... that is the dip stick. Once you unscrew that big bolt on the top you will see a rubber seal and a dip stick with hash marks on it to determine the fluid level.

Thanx, My manual shows the dip stick where the blue cap Is. I thought that may be the case that the dip stick was on the other side. I could not get it loose. I will try harder. For your info the blue cap has threads and does unscrew. I think top part of it is broke and missing not sure what it is supposed to look like. There are 2 small holes in side the top. Seems like it is a breather and maybe a small foam type pad or something should be inside of it.t

/ Ls 3039 front axel breather and dip stick

Thanx, My manual shows the dip stick where the blue cap Is. I thought that may be the case that the dip stick was on the other side. I could not get it loose. I will try harder. For your info the blue cap has threads and does unscrew. I think top part of it is broke and missing not sure what it is supposed to look like. There are 2 small holes in side the top. Seems like it is a breather and maybe a small foam type pad or something should be inside of it.t

/ Ls 3039 front axel breather and dip stick #5  
Here is what mine looks like:

front_axle_cap.jpg

/ Ls 3039 front axel breather and dip stick #6  
You can use the dip stick on either side ---------

/ Ls 3039 front axel breather and dip stick #8  
You can use the dip stick on either side ---------

Ahhh, I tried to take mine off and it wouldn't budge and with it being plastic I was chicken to push it so I left it alone.