XR4145 Exhaust Smoking at 30 Hours

/ XR4145 Exhaust Smoking at 30 Hours #1  

Supraman0614

Silver Member
Tractor
LS XR4145, Jacobsen Turfcat
I was splitting wood this weekend with my PTO-driven splitter and noticed what looked to be smoke (grey) coming from the exhaust pipe. The tractor has 30 hours on it and has not hit its first regen yet (shouldn't happen until 50 hours). Most of the work I have done with it has been at lower rpms (moving stuff around with the FEL, towing my wood cart into and out of the woods, etc. I did a little brush-hogging but only for 20 minutes or so. I was running at about 1500 rpm when I noticed the smoke. The exhaust smelled pretty bad too, like smoldering charcoal mixed with diesel exhaust. The engine temp was normal (a little below halfway on the gauge), there were no warning lights on the dash, and the engine sounded ok. I shut the splitter off and brought the tractor back to idle, let it sit a couple minutes and shut it off. I checked the engine oil, which looked good, air filter was clean, coolant was up to level, fuel is fresh.

I started it back up and took it for a drive around the pasture. It ran fine and no loss of power. I ran it up to PTO speed and drove around like that for a few minutes, then drove back to the barn around 1200 rpm. It smoked intermittently. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this. I'm thinking it could have to do with the DOC/DPF becoming contaminated but it isn't running badly or losing power. I'm going to call my dealer to see what he knows but I thought I'd see if anyone here had a similar experience.

/ XR4145 Exhaust Smoking at 30 Hours #2  
I was splitting wood this weekend with my PTO-driven splitter and noticed what looked to be smoke (grey) coming from the exhaust pipe. The tractor has 30 hours on it and has not hit its first regen yet (shouldn't happen until 50 hours). Most of the work I have done with it has been at lower rpms (moving stuff around with the FEL, towing my wood cart into and out of the woods, etc. I did a little brush-hogging but only for 20 minutes or so. I was running at about 1500 rpm when I noticed the smoke. The exhaust smelled pretty bad too, like smoldering charcoal mixed with diesel exhaust. The engine temp was normal (a little below halfway on the gauge), there were no warning lights on the dash, and the engine sounded ok. I shut the splitter off and brought the tractor back to idle, let it sit a couple minutes and shut it off. I checked the engine oil, which looked good, air filter was clean, coolant was up to level, fuel is fresh.

I started it back up and took it for a drive around the pasture. It ran fine and no loss of power. I ran it up to PTO speed and drove around like that for a few minutes, then drove back to the barn around 1200 rpm. It smoked intermittently. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this. I'm thinking it could have to do with the DOC/DPF becoming contaminated but it isn't running badly or losing power. I'm going to call my dealer to see what he knows but I thought I'd see if anyone here had a similar experience.

50 hours for 1st regen? What did they do different on these newer ones? My 2014 3037 had it's 1st regen in 4 hours.......

/ XR4145 Exhaust Smoking at 30 Hours #3  
Could it be that the rings have not set yet? Back when I worked for the case dealer they had an about 100 hp tractor come in that was smoking and could find nothing wrong. The Case rep. came and fixed it. He threw a double hand full of commit into the intake at full throttle. It quit smoking. Ed

Oh don't try this at home.

/ XR4145 Exhaust Smoking at 30 Hours #4  
50 hours for 1st regen? What did they do different on these newer ones? My 2014 3037 had it's 1st regen in 4 hours.......

The XR 4145 has the LS engine. Our 3037's have the Shibaura engine. Whatever emissions system they have on the new LS engine only requires regen about every 50 hours. I don't know what's different about it.
I haven't had any problems with the 4-5 hour regen cycle but had I known the new models were coming out I may have waited and bought the LS powered model. I'm still happy with my XR3037HC. I suppose the dealer didn't tell me about the new models so he could sell his old stock. A regen every 4-5 hours seems a bit overkill.

/ XR4145 Exhaust Smoking at 30 Hours #5  
You guys would had have to waited over a year for the new engine no?

/ XR4145 Exhaust Smoking at 30 Hours #6  
You guys would had have to waited over a year for the new engine no?

No, I bought mine the end of February 2014 and the new models came out 5 months later in July.

/ XR4145 Exhaust Smoking at 30 Hours #7  
No, I bought mine the end of February 2014 and the new models came out 5 months later in July.
Ok I was thing they came out July 2015 my mind is slow at times thanks.

/ XR4145 Exhaust Smoking at 30 Hours #8  
Supraman I only have around 11 hours on mine but I haven't seen any smoking with mine yet, in fact just the opposite I have seen zero smoke even at startup. It could be the doc/dpf is causing the smoke as you mention. As I understand it the doc works similar to a catalytic converter on a car and is more of a passive continuous cleaning. Then the dpf does its thing at 50hrs as you mention. So maybe it's just part of the process? I'd run it hard with the bushhog to let it warm up and see if it cleans itself up. I'm interested to see what your dealer says if you talk to him about it.

/ XR4145 Exhaust Smoking at 30 Hours #9  
If i keep having issues with my 3037 i might just upgrade......

/ XR4145 Exhaust Smoking at 30 Hours #10  
No smoke on my XR4145H at 16.5hrs.... Love this thing. Had an issue with the EGR valve but man after that got replaced it is a beast!!